PDA

View Full Version : Google's Gmail to offer free POP access within "the next c...

MacBytes
Nov 12, 2004, 03:52 PM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Google\'s Gmail to offer free POP access within \"the next couple weeks\" (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041112165240)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

1macker1
Nov 12, 2004, 04:22 PM
I think they need to develope a downloadable mail app. The interface and ease of use is what makes gmail so great.

neoserver
Nov 12, 2004, 04:42 PM
This sounds good to me! Especially since they don't plan on charging for it. I love the ability to download my messages so this will be a nice addition to my gmail account !!

Chip NoVaMac
Nov 12, 2004, 04:52 PM
Given this quote. "adding POP, or post office protocol, access to Gmail for all users over the next couple of weeks. The move will enable Gmail users to download a copy of their messages through other e-mail programs, such as Outlook and Eudora, and devices that support POP."; it makes me wonder why thet did not say any POP compatible email system.

It seems that they are looking to readers that will support their ads (I assume Outlook will with it Active X technology).

Bear
Nov 12, 2004, 05:17 PM
Given this quote. "adding POP, or post office protocol, access to Gmail for all users over the next couple of weeks. The move will enable Gmail users to download a copy of their messages through other e-mail programs, such as Outlook and Eudora, and devices that support POP."; it makes me wonder why thet did not say any POP compatible email system.

It seems that they are looking to readers that will support their ads (I assume Outlook will with it Active X technology).Actyually, they have help directions for setting up several different mail programs with the gmail pop service and it does include Apple Mail (even if the directions are currently missing a step).

Remember they only listed a couple of the more popular ones as examples. They didn't say "only" these programs.

Chip NoVaMac
Nov 12, 2004, 06:27 PM
Thanks Bear for clearing the air. There are other aspects of the G-Mail system that causes me long term concern.

Xero
Nov 12, 2004, 09:10 PM
My POP service was activated a couple days ago, and everything is working great so far!

This was a nice little unexpected surprise which means i can start using Mail.app again. Dont forget to change the port settings for pop and smtp (its easy to miss in the directions), when setting up the gmail account in Mail.app.

ZildjianKX
Nov 12, 2004, 09:23 PM
Anyone try entourage yet?

JeDiBoYTJ
Nov 12, 2004, 10:12 PM
I used the Forwarding feature to get my gmail in Mail.app, I just forwarded it to my main email, and it works well for me

redAPPLE
Nov 13, 2004, 02:25 AM
hi guys!

is gmail available to everybody now?

munkle
Nov 13, 2004, 03:36 AM
I've already posted this in another forum but it's pretty useful so I'll post it here as well. Here's a link (http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20041110192454841) from macosxhints on how to configure mail.app for GMail POP.

munkle
Nov 13, 2004, 04:50 AM
hi guys!

is gmail available to everybody now?

No, you still need an invite but on this forum at least supply seems to outstripping demand! So if you want a GMail account, check the GMail thread (too lazy to search for link).

I used the Forwarding feature to get my gmail in Mail.app, I just forwarded it to my main email, and it works well for me

But with POP you'll be able to send mail from mail.app as well as receive it.

davecomp
Nov 13, 2004, 08:19 AM
the pop is not avable for every one i still dont have the option but they say the will be relesing it in phases so i guess a few weeks eveyone will be able to do pop but not now just a select few

Xero
Nov 13, 2004, 01:34 PM
the pop is not avable for every one i still dont have the option but they say the will be relesing it in phases so i guess a few weeks eveyone will be able to do pop but not now just a select few

You are right, and i get the feeling that even for people receiving/opening new GMail accounts now, they will be at the end of the line for the POP service which means they may not get it until a couple weeks (or more?) after opening their account.

Using POP over forwarding has big advantages as Munkle has already pointed out, and messages that you send using Mail.app also show up in your sent messages folder on the gmail website too, nice! (this may be true with other POP/web email services but i haven't used anything of the sort but GMail in so long.)

sjk
Nov 13, 2004, 05:32 PM
But with POP you'll be able to send mail from mail.app as well as receive it.With POP3 you can retrieve mail using POP3 clients; you still need a SMTP server for sending mail. I haven't heard whether or not Gmail will provide SMTP servers.

edesignuk
Nov 13, 2004, 05:35 PM
With POP3 you can retrieve mail using POP3 clients; you still need a SMTP server for sending mail. I haven't heard whether or not Gmail will provide SMTP servers.
smtp.gmail.com is given in the article that munkle posted.
imacg5:~ jelliott$ ping smtp.gmail.com
PING smtp.gmail.com (64.233.171.109): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 64.233.171.109: icmp_seq=0 ttl=244 time=283.682 ms
64 bytes from 64.233.171.109: icmp_seq=1 ttl=244 time=102.283 msIt's there alright :D

Xero
Nov 13, 2004, 10:29 PM
With POP3 you can retrieve mail using POP3 clients; you still need a SMTP server for sending mail. I haven't heard whether or not Gmail will provide SMTP servers.

yup smtp works fine.

The Tuck
Nov 14, 2004, 10:57 AM
If IMAP gets enabled, Gmail will be perfect! But POP is a good step forward. :D

sjk
Nov 14, 2004, 11:02 AM
Ahh, okay:
% telnet smtp.gmail.com smtp
Trying 64.233.171.109...
Connected to smtp.gmail.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 smtp.gmail.com ESMTP 57sm22395rnc
quit
221 2.0.0 smtp.gmail.com closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.And I just configured a Gmail account to use it (and POP3, until IMAP is available).

It would be a pretty weak service to offer POP3 (incoming) without SMTP (outgoing).