PDA

View Full Version : Teen uses Craigslist to trade old cellphone for a Porsche Boxster S.

leomac08
Jul 20, 2010, 12:34 AM
This 17 year old kid is a future CEO in the making. ;)

Steven started his lucrative journey when his friend gave him an old cell phone - the sort most people would throw away or shove into a junk drawer.

He traded that phone for a better phone, which he then traded for an iPod touch. He traded that for a series of dirt bikes, a MacBook Pro, and a 1987 Toyota 4Runner.

So he quickly swapped it out for a souped-up off-road golf, another more valuable dirt bike, a streetbike, then a series of cars ending with a 1975 Ford Bronco. He spent a few months enjoying each acquisition before determining he was looking for something else. It was that Bronco that got him the Porsche. Because some older Broncos are considered collectibles, Steven estimated his was worth $15,000. He got offered all manner of trades - including a locksmith business - for the Bronco. The Porsche, worth about $9,000, was actually a trade down.

Read more: http://www.sgvtribune.com/ci_15533701?source=rss_viewed#ixzz0uCIwRXdh

It took 14 swaps over a two-year period to land Stephen Ortiz a 2000 Porsche Boxster S.

Read more: http://cbs2.com/tv/Steven.Ortiz.teen.2.1812449.html

Synchromesh
Jul 20, 2010, 12:38 AM
That's impressive although that 10 year old Porsche is going to suck him dry in repair/maintenance bills.

iBookG4user
Jul 20, 2010, 12:40 AM
That's impressive although that 10 year old Porsche is going to suck him dry in repair/maintenance bills.

But, I would take the Porsche over an old cellphone any day :p

And that is quite amazing, that guy has a talent.

dukebound85
Jul 20, 2010, 12:42 AM
i love these stories. I remember one that started with something with a rubber band and ended up with a house

velocityg4
Jul 20, 2010, 08:09 AM

At the end of the article it said $150 for an oil change and $1000 for a tuneup. Is it that difficult to change the oil filter, remove the drain plug, gap the spark plugs and use a timing light yourself on a Porsche?

He could just get a Chilton Guide or Haynes Manual and easily take care of maintenance and most repairs himself.

R94N
Jul 20, 2010, 08:14 AM
That's cool. I've seen quite a few that have happened on eBay.

At the end of the article it said $150 for an oil change and $1000 for a tuneup. Is it that difficult to change the oil filter, remove the drain plug, gap the spark plugs and use a timing light yourself on a Porsche?

He could just get a Chilton Guide or Haynes Manual and easily take care of maintenance and most repairs himself.

Exactly!

steve2112
Jul 20, 2010, 08:18 AM

On a Boxster? Yes, it is that difficult. It's mid-engine, and it is a VERY tight fit in the engine bay.

Anyway, there was a story like this a couple of years ago. Some guy started with a red paper clip and wound up with a house. Check out his story here (http://www.oneredpaperclip.com/about/).

Jett0516
Jul 20, 2010, 08:44 AM
looks to me he's just trading junk for junk.

velocityg4
Jul 20, 2010, 01:06 PM
On a Boxster? Yes, it is that difficult. It's mid-engine, and it is a VERY tight fit in the engine bay.

Anyway, there was a story like this a couple of years ago. Some guy started with a red paper clip and wound up with a house. Check out his story here (http://www.oneredpaperclip.com/about/).

You could take it to a place that guarantees a $90 tune up and a $30 oil change (*up to 5 quarts). None of the disclaimers I have seen say certain makes and models not included. Though I don't know if I would trust the kind of service I would end up receiving on that Porsche.

Mexbearpig
Jul 20, 2010, 01:09 PM
i love these stories. I remember one that started with something with a rubber band and ended up with a house

+1
And I think you mean a red paper clip. (http://oneredpaperclip.blogspot.com/)

Soon after he acquired the Porsche a few months ago, Steven realized it has had its drawbacks, namely operating expenses. An oil change costs at least $150, and a routine tune-up at least $1,000.

So he is considering his next trade - maybe an Escalade.

Man thats a lot of money!

chrmjenkins
Jul 20, 2010, 01:14 PM
Damn, I envy this kid.

macquariumguy
Jul 20, 2010, 01:34 PM
looks to me he's just trading junk for junk.
I was wondering when the mini-van drivers would check in.

Even a 10 year old Boxster S is a very fun car. :)

Mousse
Jul 20, 2010, 02:17 PM
But, I would take the Porsche over an old cellphone any day :p

And that is quite amazing, that guy has a talent.

Well, if it was a white Bronco, I would have kept that instead of trading for a Boxster. This vanity plate only works with a white Bronco.:p

carlgo
Jul 20, 2010, 02:21 PM

Very nice indeed. And he got it for free, so he could justify a loan for any major repair.

Basic maintenance on any car is outrageous now. Is any dealer in CA getting less than $100/hour? Major scheduled service on any nicer vehicle is getting close to a grand now.

Today's 10 year old car is yesterday's 4 year old car. Also, oil services are so far apart now that you spend less on that than you did years ago when you were supposed to go in every 3000 miles.

techfreak85
Jul 20, 2010, 02:30 PM
I wonder if he put any work into the things he got before trading them again...

Synchromesh
Jul 20, 2010, 06:48 PM

Not all of us drive a minivan. I have sports car and a sporty car. Take it from somebody that knows about these a bit, the Porsche Boxster would not be a car I would trade that Bronco for. Maybe an S2000.

Not saying a Boxster isn't fun. Just saying that an old Porsche is going to be very expensive live with.

Ttownbeast
Jul 20, 2010, 07:17 PM

Actually the dude managed over the course of a year and a half to trade up from a novelty sized plastic paperclip to a house. It was a fascinating story.

madoka
Jul 20, 2010, 11:02 PM

Yes it is that difficult. I believe you have to drop the engine out of the car to do an oil change.

I had to get a smog check on my Cayman S because I bought it out of state. I took it to 4 different smog centers and each of them said they did not know how check a Porsche. Most of them couldn't figure out how to get to the engine whatsoever.

You pay to play though. The cost of a basic oil change on my IS F runs $225.

Consultant
Jul 21, 2010, 12:04 AM
Its pretty impressive but keep in mind he did it (make $9000) over 2 years.

It did not mention whether he has a real job.

Most people can make over $9000 over 2 years easily.

Heilage
Jul 21, 2010, 12:13 AM
Its pretty impressive but keep in mind he did it (make $9000) over 2 years.

It did not mention whether he has a real job.

Most people can make over $9000 over 2 years easily.

But this is $9000 in addition to what he made while working.

Also, this guy is gonna be rich some day.

Sander
Jul 21, 2010, 02:46 AM
A few more trades and he could say he traded his old cell phone for an iPhone 4!

iBookG4user
Jul 21, 2010, 02:51 AM
A few more trades and he could say he traded his old cell phone for an iPhone 4!

Porsche > iPhone 4

IMO of course.

phillipjfry
Jul 21, 2010, 06:53 AM
+1
And I think you mean a red paper clip. (http://oneredpaperclip.blogspot.com/)

I THINK this may be the same story but I thought I heard of one story where the guy had a chance at a day of golf with a rock star (whose name escapes me) and traded that for a house or something or other

I definitely love stories like this! :)

kernkraft
Jul 21, 2010, 07:05 AM
He was stupid - at one point, he's had a $15.000 car that he traded for a $9.000 one?! He should have just sold it.

That was the act that explains, why he's not that good.

You could take it to a place that guarantees a $90 tune up and a $30 oil change (*up to 5 quarts). None of the disclaimers I have seen say certain makes and models not included. Though I don't know if I would trust the kind of service I would end up receiving on that Porsche.

If you don't see why a $30 oil change is a bad idea with a 2.5L Porsche boxer engine, you might stick with a 15 years old little Honda.

GoCubsGo
Jul 21, 2010, 07:12 AM

It was a paperclip.

MrWillie
Jul 21, 2010, 07:51 AM
Hmmm.... I wonder if I can trade my fat assed ex wife for a super model ?

GoCubsGo
Jul 21, 2010, 07:54 AM

Mark? Is that you?

kernkraft
Jul 21, 2010, 08:13 AM

I think there would be a few ownership issues, letting alone human rights...

But I like the idea. Don't forget, you will need to do a lot of swaps. Personally, I think the 'journey' and taking part would really make playing worthwhile here. :D

Mexbearpig
Jul 21, 2010, 11:19 AM
I THINK this may be the same story but I thought I heard of one story where the guy had a chance at a day of golf with a rock star (whose name escapes me) and traded that for a house or something or other

I definitely love stories like this! :)

You are correct. Alice cooper was the guy.

macquariumguy
Jul 21, 2010, 11:48 AM
If you don't see why a $30 oil change is a bad idea with a 2.5L Porsche boxer engine, you might stick with a 15 years old little Honda.
What's wrong with 15 year old Hondas? I have one (http://sarasotadetail.com/gallery2/d/14409-2/DSC_0797.jpg) and wouldn't trade it for both a 10 year old Boxster and classic Bronco together.

As for oil changes, I'd just buy a pump and do them myself. No biggie.

kernkraft
Jul 21, 2010, 11:51 AM
What's wrong with 15 year old Hondas?

Nothing, you can have an oil change for $30!

But your old car hardly qualifies as 'little'.

Counterfit
Jul 21, 2010, 04:27 PM
You pay to play though. The cost of a basic oil change on my IS F runs $225.
:eek: Do they drop the oil pan and scrub it out for that much?

3.4L Porsche boxer.
I've heard enough "forgot to replace the drain plug" stories about cheap places, that I'll never take a car I care about to one of them.

I just do it myself. I put in a Fumoto valve (http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/) last time, so it should be even easier now.

Edit: Nope, not a 3.4L. That's only in the 07+ S

fun173
Jul 21, 2010, 10:14 PM
My dad emailed me this story and now im going to try to trade my alienware for a sedan if he lets me lol

kernkraft
Jul 22, 2010, 05:02 AM

I've heard enough "forgot to replace the drain plug" stories about cheap places, that I'll never take a car I care about to one of them.

I just do it myself. I put in a Fumoto valve (http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/) last time, so it should be even easier now.

The last time I've done an oil change was on my 1983 SL 280 Mercedes Benz. I only use fully synthetic oil with that car and I was told to use the 10W 40 variant. It is very difficult to get and one litre is about $30. If I buy the 5 litre container (Shell), it is around $100 just for the engine oil. I'm sure that these places can give me an oil change for almost nothing, but I'd rather pay them not to. If the cylinders punch a hole on the engine block, I have to pay the $7000 for a reconditioned engine being fitted.

I haven't got a problem with DIY lubrication services, in fact I'd rather own a car where I know that the oil has been replaced in every few thousand miles by the owner than a garage in every 15000. My problem is to put the kind of oil into these complex engines that started their life as cooking oil.

kernkraft
Jul 22, 2010, 05:03 AM

The last time I've done an oil change was on my 1983 SL 280 Mercedes Benz. I only use fully synthetic oil with that car and I was told to use the 10W 40 variant. It is very difficult to get and one litre is about $35. If I buy the 5 litre container (Shell), it is around $100 just for the engine oil. I'm sure that these places can give me an oil change for almost nothing, but I'd rather pay them not to. If the cylinders punch a hole on the engine block, I have to pay the $7000 for a reconditioned engine being fitted.

I haven't got a problem with DIY lubrication services, in fact I'd rather own a car where I know that the oil has been replaced in every few thousand miles by the owner than a garage in every 15000. My problem is to put the kind of oil into these complex engines that started their life as cooking oil.

velocityg4
Jul 22, 2010, 09:26 AM

It is a 10 year old Porsche worth $9,000 and likely very high mileage. It's engine should be worn to the point were it's precision parts are no more precise than your run of the mill car. Further were not talking about a car being red lined at the track regularly. Rather a daily driver were one might get the occasional to stomp on the gas.

Conventional motor oil of an SL rating or better and a standard filter should service the engine just fine.

Synchromesh
Jul 23, 2010, 10:50 AM
Nothing, you can have an oil change for $30!

But your old car hardly qualifies as 'little'.

If you want to qualify that car as "big", then I'm Ronald Reagan. It's fairly small as far as cars go.

kernkraft
Jul 23, 2010, 11:21 AM
If you want to qualify that car as "big", then I'm Ronald Reagan. It's fairly small as far as cars go.

When it comes to oil change, I'd rather measure things by cubic cm or inch and not by the standard of a kid. That Japanese car in question beats you and Ronald Reagan too. That car is not an "old little Honda" which the original quote was.

Sun Baked
Jul 23, 2010, 05:10 PM
I'd trade this kid for a new 2011 Porsche Boxster S, but I think there are laws against that. :(

And the kid would get even more of his 15 min of fame.

jetlife2
Jul 23, 2010, 05:16 PM
Yes it is that difficult. I believe you have to drop the engine out of the car to do an oil change.

No It's not hard. I change my own oil on my 996 911. The Boxster is similar:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/box_oil_change/box_oil_change.htm

9 quarts of Mobil 1 should be about $75 ($50 for 6 quarts); filter and crush ring less than $20. So it should be under $100 DIY. You can easily see why it would be $200+ at a dealer by the time they add $100+ per hour for labor.

Ttownbeast
Jul 23, 2010, 05:28 PM
You are correct. Alice cooper was the guy.

Just seeing him two Halloween season concerts in a row is indeed a privilege even from the cheap seats it is a fantastic stage show, I am not a golfer but spending time with the dude would be an awesome experience I caught him in Tacoma at the Emerald Queen in 04 for the elected tour then again in 05 at the same venue. well worth what I could afford to pay both times.

Abstract
Jul 23, 2010, 06:14 PM
He was stupid - at one point, he's had a $15.000 car that he traded for a $9.000 one?! He should have just sold it.

That was the act that explains, why he's not that good.

The point of the story was that he got kept upgrading without ever having money change hands. Besides, he got something he wanted for something he didn't want, and if he doesn't want the porsche anymore, I'm sure he'll manage to trade for something that's worth even more. He has done it already.

Synchromesh
Jul 25, 2010, 12:14 PM
When it comes to oil change, I'd rather measure things by cubic cm or inch and not by the standard of a kid. That Japanese car in question beats you and Ronald Reagan too. That car is not an "old little Honda" which the original quote was.

All things are relative, old man. Is NSX old? Comparatively yes, the design is around 20 years old by now. Is it little? Next to your average SUV/pickup/minivan or even the new Accord - yes. Is it a Honda? Certainly is even if labeled as Acura in the US. So you will have to excuse it even if it doesn't adhere to standards of a geezer like yourself. Just because it's not what you meant in your original comment doesn't mean it's not the right answer still.

And what does oil change have to do with cubic cm/inches? Those only had a V6 with 3 or 3.2 liters of displacement so I don't think you could call it an oil consumer like a V10 or a V12 would be.

itsPhil
Jul 26, 2010, 03:08 PM
Phil

I'm doing the same thing with a twist. I'm starting with an iPhone and trying to pay off my debts. I started a blog and twitter to document it all. I'll be letting readers help evaluate my trade offers and interact along the way.

Check it out:
www.craigstrade.com
www.twitter.com/craigstrade

Hankcah
Jul 27, 2010, 01:38 PM
So this story is cute and all, BUT turn that porsche into a ferrari and range rover, then ill give him more credit. Also, it's just a boxster (yellow... ew), and im pretty sure he got it at some tacky car sales lot, and its a lemon. Give me the VIN number, ill look it up. This is the norm for people who can't pass a basic programming class. Too harsh...?

Synchromesh
Jul 27, 2010, 03:13 PM
So this story is cute and all, BUT turn that porsche into a ferrari and range rover, then ill give him more credit. Also, it's just a boxster (yellow... ew), and im pretty sure he got it at some tacky car sales lot, and its a lemon. Give me the VIN number, ill look it up. This is the norm for people who can't pass a basic programming class. Too harsh...?

What's the norm for people who can't pass a basic English class? :rolleyes:

InfoSecmgr
Jul 27, 2010, 07:26 PM

That and $9,000 seems a bit low for a 10 year old Porsche, I could be wrong...