Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apple Hobo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2004
A series of tubes
Linky-link

Just days after the launch of open-source browser Firefox 1.0, Microsoft executives defended Internet Explorer, saying it is no less secure than any other browser and doesn't lack any important features.

Ben English, Microsoft's security and management product manager, told attendees that IE undergoes "rigorous code reviews" and is no less secure than any other browser.

Steve Vamos, Microsoft Australia's managing director, agreed, saying he does not believe IE's market share is under attack following the recent high-profile debut of the Mozilla Foundation's Firefox browser.

Vamos said that although he has heard other people mention the competitive threat posed by Firefox, he doesn't see it as a problem.

"I'm not sure that that is the reality. I have seen comments around that, but there is nothing I can refer to that really supports that," he said. Instead, Vamos said, consumers need to be educated about all the features already offered by Microsoft's browser.

Vamos, who admitted he has never used Firefox, said there is a lot of hype surrounding the open-source movement and that if Microsoft's customers wanted new features, they would have told the company about it.

"If there are features in our products that are subpar or need to be added, then I have great confidence that we are an organization that responds pretty quickly and effectively to that." *

English reiterated that features such as tabbed browsing are not important to IE users.

"I don't believe it is a true statement that IE doesn't have the features that our customers want,"

Wow, get my barf bag! Since when did Baghdad Bob start working for Microwank? I'm glad MS knows what's best for the user. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

* When is the next IE update? Respond quickly? LOL!

"Our browser is secure! Our users love it! We will give our users tabbed browsing when we feel it is right! Infidel browsers will bleed and burn from their stomachs! There is no Firefox!"

Attachments

• bbob.jpg
    bbob.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 78

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I understand their meta-message:

It's perfect the way it is by definition: Because so many people use it, it must be best, and since it's best it must be just the way people want it to be.

You will use it and you will like it!

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
That article makes me laugh and makes mad at the sametime :mad: :p

English reiterated that features such as tabbed browsing are not important to IE users.

Is that why almost all other broswers [that i know of] have tabbed browsing as an option :rolleyes: I wanna say more, but I don't know where to start commenting on this because I wanna laugh yet I feel irratated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.