Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

101714-ibooks_icon.jpg

Responding to Amazon's addition of support for embedded audio and video in Kindle eBooks late last month, Apple yesterday updated its iBooks application for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch yesterday to add similar functionality, as well as several other enhancements.
- Double-tap an image within a book to view it in greater detail.
- Experience books that include audio and video.
- Enjoy substantial performance improvements when reading PDFs.
- Look-up definitions to English words inside books without a specified language.
- Addresses an issue that may have caused some book downloads to not complete.
- Includes many stability and performance improvements.
The iBooks update comes alongside iTunes 9.2.1, which brought several minor enhancements to the company's media management, playing, and syncing application.

Article Link: Apple Adds Audio and Video Capabilities to 'iBooks'

Gleemen

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2009
Now all they need to do is make ibooks have enough books to be worth using over the amazon app.:rolleyes:

talkingfuture

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2008
The back of beyond.
This could lead to some pretty cool interactive factual books and text books. I wonder if anyone would consider using iBooks to distribute magazines, Apple could make a neat simple subscriptions system rather than having all these separate apps for magazines and newspapers as we have now.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
iBooks is the nicest eBook reader app that there is no books for. I would love to start buying iBooks (have 5), but I quickly open my Kindle app and buy them there because almost nothing is available in the iBook store.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
This could lead to some pretty cool interactive factual books and text books. I wonder if anyone would consider using iBooks to distribute magazines, Apple could make a neat simple subscriptions system rather than having all these separate apps for magazines and newspapers as we have now.

I use the Zinio reader to subscribe to MacWorld magazine. One app puts all my magazines at my fingertips. Not that stupid 1 magazine = 1 app solution that companies are using now. Apple really missed the boat on this one, by not having a distribution method, such as iMags to distribute magazines.

ksgant

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
I had a bunch of PDF files in iBooks on my iPad, but when I updated it erased all my PDF's. Kept the ePub books I had, but all the PDF's were gone.

adrian.oconnor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Nottingham, England
The release notes also had a line about speed improvements for PDF. It was already good, but any improvements are welcome because PDF definitely isn't quite as slick as the ebooks. The iPad is still a magnificent PDF reader though.

Edit: just spotted that ARN also had that line in his summary. Doh. Sorry about the redundant post.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
Hopefully PDF reading really is substantially improved.

It's definitely much quicker now for reading PDFs. You still have to zoom in on text from page to page... unlike Goodreader, but despite that I prefer iBooks.

I also noticed that my bookmarks/highlights/etc. in an ePub book I'm reading were somehow synced automatically and wirelessly between my iPad and iPhone. I'm not sure if it did that before this version (I thought before it only synced that stuff if you connected them to your computer?)

MoodyM

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2008
Reading magazines is superb, but I really really really wish they would let us adjust the margins for ePub books...

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
Great update! However it would be great if they start adding a bunch of books! Apple sorely lags in lack of selections. I end up buying my ebooks from other sources and I would rather do business with Apple. :rolleyes:

cogitodexter

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
Naaaaaaarfolk, England
Hmm

iBooks with audio and video...

Bit like a web browser then (albeit offline).

Just give us flash already!

-----

Devoted Apple fan, too many :apple: devices to count. Happy with my iPhone4.

RonD69

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2008
Hooray for Competition!

I love it when companies go head-to-head in products rather in public relations.

RonD69

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2008

Apple does support a subscription model, but it's up to the individual developer to write codes taking advantage of it.

Freis968

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2007
Ocoee, Florida
iBooks is the nicest eBook reader app that there is no books for. I would love to start buying iBooks (have 5), but I quickly open my Kindle app and buy them there because almost nothing is available in the iBook store.

I agree 100%. There are many books I want to buy regarding The Beatles and there are only about 10, most of them I am not interested in. Also, in regard to Elvis, only a handful for him as well.

Very disappointing.

adrian.oconnor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Nottingham, England
Apple does support a subscription model, but it's up to the individual developer to write codes taking advantage of it.

Do they for iBooks? Are you sure? I thought to publish in iBooks you need a catalog/ISBN number. Doesn't that fact alone mean publishing magazines would be impossible? I don't know, I'm just asking...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.