Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matthutch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
Perth, Western Australia
well as the title says it takes forever for FCP to render the sequences, to display in the canvas window - i haven't tried exporting the file yet.

I have a dual 2 G5 with 2.5GB of ram. How can i make the renders go faster? Will a capture card help?

Any assistance would be great thanks.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
Did you add some of this Ram from a Third party? That is the only one of two bottle necks because macs are picky about RAM and can cause slow downs when it comes across some it doesn't like.

Do other programs run as slow? Are you rendering off the main harddrive, or Firewire HD? Does that drive have enough room, Note: main site for FCP says that you need 1 gig for the program, 5 for the soundtrack, and 9 for LiveType content?

I see that you are a newbie to the forum, so I'm going to say, Did you repair permissions? https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/89736/ Have you left your computer on over night so the cron jobs can run?

matthutch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
Perth, Western Australia
varmit said:
Did you add some of this Ram from a Third party? That is the only one of two bottle necks because macs are picky about RAM and can cause slow downs when it comes across some it doesn't like.

Do other programs run as slow? Are you rendering off the main harddrive, or Firewire HD? Does that drive have enough room, Note: main site for FCP says that you need 1 gig for the program, 5 for the soundtrack, and 9 for LiveType content?

I see that you are a newbie to the forum, so I'm going to say, Did you repair permissions? https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/89736/ Have you left your computer on over night so the cron jobs can run?

thanks heaps i think it was a combination of it having the source files on a fw hdd as well as the output settings as dvcpro 720p60 @ 100% quality

thanks again, it was abig help - and it is now back to its old speedy self :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.