PDA

View Full Version : Connecting a OS9 computer with a OSX computer and sharing files

legarem
Nov 13, 2004, 08:02 AM
My home IMac G4 has OSX 10.3.4. My office IMac 233 has OS 9.2 and another IMac 233 has OS8.6 because I want to use the fax with my old laser printer

I connected the 3 computers together and tried to share files between Imacs.
The IMacs with 8.6 and 9.2 can share files but i'm unable to do the same thing with the IMac G4 with OSX10.3.4

is sharing files can be done between a computer with OS X and computers with older OS9 and OS8.6 ?

If yes, what can I do

Thanks

neilrobinson
Nov 13, 2004, 08:22 AM
do you have appletalk turned on the OSX machine?

thomasp
Nov 13, 2004, 08:29 AM
I file share between 10.2.1 and 9.2.1 occasionally

I've found that I can view the OS9 Hard disk in OSX, but I can't view the OSX hard disk in OS9.

This is how I share between OSX and OS9:

Set up a file sharing account for the OSX computer on the OS8/9 computer(s). Turn file sharing on and allow the OSX computer to "Read and Write" to the OS8/9 hard drive(s) by choosing "Sharing" from "Get Info" on your HD (on the desktop, highlight your HD icon and do Command + I). In the "Users/groups" section, select the OSX computer's username and to the right of that choose "Read & Write". Close this window.

In OSX, set up a user profile for the OS8/9 computer(s) by clicking on the "Accounts" pane in System Prefs.

Plug the computers into the network and start up Apple talk and File sharing on the OSX and OS8/9 computer(s).

On the OSX computer, choose "Connect to Server" from the "Go" menu in the Finder. After a while, you should see the OS8 and/or OS9 computer listed.

Highlight this and click "Connect". Type in the password and the rest should be self-explanatory.

I don't know how to get the OSX hard drive to appear on the OS8 or OS9 desktop - that's something I'd like to find out myself :D

neilrobinson
Nov 13, 2004, 08:47 AM
I don't know how to get the OSX hard drive to appear on the OS8 or OS9 desktop - that's something I'd like to find out myself :D

i run 9.2.2 on a G4 400 at work, i can mount my hard drives running 10.3.5 on a G4 800, i just connect using my username and password full r/w access??? i have personal file sharing on, appletalk on... :confused:

evoluzione
Nov 13, 2004, 09:17 AM
i hate networking in OS X, the OS 9 (and before) Chooser was so much better i thought, it seems so hit and miss every time i've conneected OS 9 and X computers