Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spxy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2004
Hi ,I want to send some tracks I have made on Garge band by e-mail to some friends.How do I compress the tracks?I tried putting them in itunes and converting to MP3's but they're still too large(2mb).
What else can I do?

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
You don't want to compress it too much or else its gonna sound like crap. 2MB is pretty small for a piece thats over 1 or 2 minutes. You may be able to put them all in a folder and compress them with DropStuffit to make a Stuffit Expander file, or possibly zip them into a zip file. You'll want to put them, or it in a folder first.

neilrobinson

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2004
Perth, WA, Australia
in itunes pref's under importing (i think) their is options for quality, the lower the quality the smaller the file size,

btw, you maybe better uploading them to a hosting company (some isp supply you with a little space) and letting your friends download em from their.

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
What bitrate are you using? If you really want it smaller, you can always to try lower the bitrate (which whould also lower the quality).

If you don't want to hurt the quality, then encoding it with Apple Lossless (or other lossless formats) will be better than using Zip. It should make smaller files. Obviously, they will be bigger than the MP3.

pooky

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2003
mklos said:
You don't want to compress it too much or else its gonna sound like crap. 2MB is pretty small for a piece thats over 1 or 2 minutes. You may be able to put them all in a folder and compress them with DropStuffit to make a Stuffit Expander file, or possibly zip them into a zip file. You'll want to put them, or it in a folder first.

Since MP3 files are already compressed, DropStuff won't do much to compress it further. Best option is to lower the bitrate. Some people claim you can get a better sound out of AAC than MP3 by lowering the bitrate, so you might want to choose AAC set at 64 kbps, or maybe even lower. But the lower you go, the worse it'll sound.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.