PDA

View Full Version : Zinio App + Magazines = SLOW Backups

gswilder
Jul 20, 2010, 08:30 PM
Had my iPad since late April, and it everything was fine until about mid-june. Then my backups went from <1 minute to 10-15 minutes, and finally several hours. Eventually, I just gave up and cancelled my backups each time I connected.

Last week when iOS 3.2.1 came out, I did a complete factory restore and installed 3.2.1 and my apps, music, etc.

Backup continued to work fine through the 60-70 apps I installed. Usually less than 1 minute per backup.

So today, I decided to try reinstalling Zinio to see if it could be the culprit of my previously slow backups.

I installed just the app, and did a backup, with no issues. Less than a minute still to backup.

I downloaded Magazine #1. Did a backup, and it jumped to 4.5 minutes.

Just for testing, I installed a couple of other apps. But did NOT download another Zinio magazine. Backup went fine this time at less than 1 minute.

Then I downloaded Magazine #2. Backup time went back up to over 5 minutes.

Downloaded magazine #3, and backup time went up to over 6 minutes.

Based on my testing, it seems that Zinio magazine downloads are causing big time backup problems on the iPad. It's not the app, but the magazine itself. So if you downloaded 5-10 magazines at once, the backup time would increase to several hours. Which is what I did back in June when my backup times skyrocketed. (of course at the time, I didn't understand what was causing the issue).

I have the lastest Zinio 1.6 version. Also, I emailed Zinio support and provided the same information. Basically if they cannot correct this issue, I am going to have to permanently uninstall Zinio. And ask for a refund on my magazine subscriptions. I hope they get it fixed. Although their magazine selection is limited (at least what interests me), I do like the capability to subscribe and read offline.

Zinio Support
Jul 26, 2010, 03:38 PM
Hello. My name is Zachary from Zinio Customer Support. I wanted to let you know that improving the backup performance is a top priority for us! We're working on it now, and the problem will be resolved as soon as possible.

Zinio is committed to providing the best reading experience possible, and feedback like yours is the most important part of the process. We sincerely thank you! If you have any further comments, questions or suggestions, please write directly to our support team at support@zinio.com. We're always happy to help!

Zachary
Zinio Customer Support

gswilder
Jul 26, 2010, 07:27 PM
Thanks from the reply from Zinio. For now, I have removed the app and all magazines from my iPad until this can be resolved. I don't understand why the magazine data has to be backed up anyway. If I have to restore, I can just redownload the magazines I need to read again.

Anyway, please fix ASAP.

Zinio Help
Aug 20, 2010, 12:52 PM
Hi gswilder,

We understand your frustration. And we’ve found a way for you to still read as much as you want, without the hassle of a long backup. On Aug 16th, we released an update to iTunes (Version 1.6.1) that fixes the problem entirely. If you haven't updated the app already, please do so. Happy reading!

-Zinio Team

GizmoDVD
Aug 21, 2010, 06:38 PM
Hi gswilder,

We understand your frustration. And we’ve found a way for you to still read as much as you want, without the hassle of a long backup. On Aug 16th, we released an update to iTunes (Version 1.6.1) that fixes the problem entirely. If you haven't updated the app already, please do so. Happy reading!

-Zinio Team

Oh nice!

Limnophilia
Oct 29, 2010, 08:36 AM
Oh nice!

Or not!

I really hoped this 1.8 update would help but I notice no difference at all. Still ridiculously slow...After letting the iPad completely sync (including backup), then downloading one magazine (24MB), the next sync takes about 5 minutes. Come on, Zinio! I hated it on my MacBook Pro but love it on the iPad but this is ridiculous.

spammerhamster
Oct 29, 2010, 11:55 AM
Or not!

I really hoped this 1.8 update would help but I notice no difference at all. Still ridiculously slow...After letting the iPad completely sync (including backup), then downloading one magazine (24MB), the next sync takes about 5 minutes. Come on, Zinio! I hated it on my MacBook Pro but love it on the iPad but this is ridiculous.

Learn how to read release notes before you read magazines.... Check the settings on synching.

Limnophilia
Oct 29, 2010, 10:54 PM
Learn how to read release notes before you read magazines.... Check the settings on synching.

Yeah, I found that last night after posting.

All I saw in the 1.8 release notes was something about "performance improvements"...so I figured this was going to be a change that I couldn't implement myself.

With this being such a big issue, they should have made "don't backup" the default. Apps that require you to read the documentation are poorly designed, no?

Anyway, with this change, it's a 5-star app for me.

pagansoul
Nov 5, 2010, 04:55 PM
I don't have more than a couple of mags on my pad at a time. The Natl Geos have their own apps but I rotate out once a month and don't keep more than one month on at a time. My computer has the previous editions.