Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevietheb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2004
Houston
I absolutely love column view...it disgusts me a window opens not in column view (why does this occasionally happen even when I have the "Open in Column View" checkbox checked?). BUT, I wish I could arrange my columns by kind rather than by name...is there some way to do this?

thanks!

stevietheb

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
I would be very interested in knowing how to arrange by kind in column view. The only alternative I know is path finder. But I dont like it that much.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
this is somewhat od, but i think it will solve your problem. sign in on your root account. open the folder you are having trouble with. im sure it will open the way you do not want. w/o navigating to another folder set the folder to column view. close the folder. open it again and it should be set in column view. log out of root and back into your user account. i dont know if that will apply to every folder. but i know it works with an individual folder.

stevietheb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2004
Houston
Most of the time the "column view" sticks. That's not the real issue...the real issue is arranging by kind...is there some way to do this.

Also, while we're talking about hacks...is there a way to remove a running application from the dock? I always have iTunes running and I'm tired of it hanging around in my dock.

Thanks again!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
stevietheb said:
Most of the time the "column view" sticks. That's not the real issue...the real issue is arranging by kind...is there some way to do this.

Also, while we're talking about hacks...is there a way to remove a running application from the dock? I always have iTunes running and I'm tired of it hanging around in my dock.

Thanks again!
Removing a running application from the Dock would defeat the purpose of the dock as a task switcher, since you'd have no easy way to quit or switch to the application you've removed. There are other ways to do it, of course; did you consider my first point before asking?

stevietheb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2004
Houston
wrldwzrd89 said:
Removing a running application from the Dock would defeat the purpose of the dock as a task switcher, since you'd have no easy way to quit or switch to the application you've removed. There are other ways to do it, of course; did you consider my first point before asking?

Yes, I have other methods for switching tasks. For example, expose and quicksilver. Also, in this particular case, iTunes 99.9% of the time is set to shuffle my whole library. Occasionally I like to switch tracks, but for that, I almost always use Synergy.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
stevietheb said:
Yes, I have other methods for switching tasks. For example, expose and quicksilver. Also, in this particular case, iTunes 99.9% of the time is set to shuffle my whole library. Occasionally I like to switch tracks, but for that, I almost always use Synergy.
Actually, if I were you, I'd hide the current dock, remove everything in it (except the Finder and Trash, of course), then switch to a Dock replacement, such as DragThing. I'd also turn magnification off and set the built-in dock to its minimum size.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.