PDA

View Full Version : Will pocket-size Sony PC take on iPod?

MacBytes
Nov 13, 2004, 10:03 AM
Category: Reviews
Link: Will pocket-size Sony PC take on iPod? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041113110301)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

hardchemist
Nov 13, 2004, 12:38 PM
Not when the "pocket pc" costs $2000! LOL

millhouse_man
Nov 13, 2004, 01:40 PM
at $1900 this will never compete with the iPod. You can just buy a 12" PowerBook for that much.

AmigoMac
Nov 13, 2004, 03:51 PM
for the price, you get an iPod, an iBook and a digicam (and more) ... good job sony. :rolleyes:

stoid
Nov 13, 2004, 03:56 PM
This probably won't but when the new Segwey personal transport thing will be the first true iPod killer and will directly compete due to it's built-in 120GB HD, 6 channel surround Hi-Fi and 30 inch flat screen for the ultimate portable theater! :rolleyes:

iMeowbot
Nov 13, 2004, 04:25 PM
What are the people at C|Net smoking? Is it no longer possible to talk about new computer categories, and everything is now just a type of MP3 player?

Passante
Nov 13, 2004, 05:29 PM
Nothing that weighs 1.2 pounds is pocket sized. $2000 VS 250.

Have the titles for web articles reached a new level of absurdity?

irmongoose
Nov 13, 2004, 07:03 PM
Although it is obvious that this will not be competing with the iPod, I have to agree with the analyst (Steven Baker) who is mentioned at the end of the article. There might not be a great big market for this kind of thing, and the price might be too incredibly high, but if Sony won't make it, who will?

irmongoose

slooksterPSV
Nov 13, 2004, 08:19 PM
Heck no, iPod is strong. I would never buy one of those. 1 its worthless because of the screensize. So what if I can play Halo on it. What else, you can't upgrade the RAM or HD as far as I know. And tons of other things.

ocellnuri
Nov 13, 2004, 08:46 PM
Anyone who writes an article questioning whether a $2000 micro-PC will compete with the iPod needs to look for a new line of work.

ocellnuri
Nov 13, 2004, 09:05 PM
[edit]

Sorry about the double post. My connection is on the fritz.

balconycollapse
Nov 13, 2004, 10:32 PM
Will including iPod in your byline regardless of topic increase interest? News at 11...

Abstract
Nov 14, 2004, 04:20 AM
How the $%^# am I supposed to fit that mofo into my pocket? Better have big pockets with extra strong stitching if it's going to hold that size and weight.

May as well take a jog with my Powerbook attached to my belt. I guess anything can be considered "portable" as long as someone is willing to carry it. ;)

AmigoMac
Nov 14, 2004, 04:39 AM
Someone in C|Net confuses a mobile device with a transportable one...
It's one of the stupidest articles I have read... :mad:

Wonder Boy
Nov 14, 2004, 06:33 AM

and it wasn't even from mac360! :D :eek:

nsb3000
Nov 14, 2004, 01:45 PM
Someone in C|Net confuses a mobile device with a transportable one...

Cnet has some biases, and this is just another example of them. They are anti-apple, always predicting that this or that product will be the next "ipod killer" and hyping up ever theoretical security flaw there is in OS X. On the other hand, sometimes I like their biases. Over the past couple of mounths, they have taken every possible opertunry to report on Firefox, for example, so it is clear they are no big fans of Microsoft either.

slooksterPSV
Nov 14, 2004, 02:11 PM
Cnet has some biases, and this is just another example of them. They are anti-apple, always predicting that this or that product will be the next "ipod killer" and hyping up ever theoretical security flaw there is in OS X. On the other hand, sometimes I like their biases. Over the past couple of mounths, they have taken every possible opertunry to report on Firefox, for example, so it is clear they are no big fans of Microsoft either.

I must agree, they complained about the iMac G5 when they reviewed it. Said it was nothing like a DP PMG5. Honestly, Apple is thinking about the consumer, not about what they want other companies to see as fit.

5300cs
Nov 14, 2004, 05:37 PM
... a buyer could treat it like a music player, a category that proved its popularity with the arrival of Apple Computer's iPod. Sony acknowledges that possibility, though Abary said "we are more primarily positioning it as a PC that's highly versatile and highly mobile."

Doesn't this quote pretty much answer the question? :rolleyes:

Besides it comes with XP Pro, which I don't even want on my desktop, much less my pocket.

ocellnuri
Nov 15, 2004, 01:02 PM
My Windows XP Desktop with it's dual 17" displays and 5.1 1000watt surround sound system clearly destroys the iPod. Sorry Apple, game over.