Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ManhattanPrjct

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2008
www.dpreview.com/news/1007/10072110panasonicdmclx5.asp

Does it still have a place in the market, amongst the deluge of mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras?

I guess it depends on how you think about two things: price and size.

Price: $499 seems pretty pricey, however once you price out an EVIL system (body, two lenses, EVF), it quickly gets out of control.

Size: for me, it's not what I would consider pocketable (compared to the S90), because of how the lens retracts. I suppose if you put this into a bag or purse, it wouldn't be a big deal. I also guess it depends on the size of your pocket.

I'd probably wait to see what Canon has in store with their rumored S95. I am still undecided what to do about a smallish camera to supplement my DSLR.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Does it still have a place in the market, amongst the deluge of mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras?

It's a lot smaller and cheaper than those cameras. It's

110 x 65 x 25 mm (4.3 x 2.6 x 1 in) 9.3 oz

compared to the E-P2

121 x 70 x 36 mm (4.8 x 2.8 x 1.4 in) 12.5 oz (which is bigger with a comparable lens mounted on it)

and it's about $500 instead of $800

TWLreal

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2006
Is that a rhetorical question?

For people who do not want a run-of-the-mill compact camera or superzoom or larger, more expensive, large sensor bodies with or without interchangeable lenses, who prioritize better performance and image quality, they have the Panasonic DMC-LX3 and DMC-LX5, Canon S90 and Samsung TL500.

They have their own niche. It's just a matter of if you can justify it for yourself.

panas2.jpg

funkboy

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2008
elsewhere

Absolutely. I own 2 Canon DSLRs & I'll be trading in my LX3 on an LX5 shortly I think.

Look at the dpreview samples. ISO1600 is usable now in RAW if you have good post-prod NR, and with a 24-90 f/2.0-3.3 lens that means that this becomes a viable low-light camera that fits in your pocket. It's half the price of the equivalent mirrorless solution (probably less given that such a luminous zoom just doesn't exist on any camera system). Granted, the larger sensor camera will give better results, but I think the LX5 will really be good enough for all but pro work, which is what's important.

There's a lot to be said for such a versatile camera that fits in your pocket for less than $500. The LX3 was on the market for 2 1/2+ years not because they couldn't update it, but because it was selling so well right up until the time they replaced it with something even better.

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2008
I agree with all of the sentiment expressed, in one way or another. While small, the LXes (and their Samsung clone) aren't much more pocketable than a mirrorless, and obviously, there's an IQ hit (but not a big deal for casual shooting). Dunno if I'll end up swapping my D-Lux 4 for an LX5/D-Lux n, but I appreciate that having a bright zoom lens in a small package is something that isn't available outside of this class of camera.

Having an actual dial instead of that stupid 4-way knob is an exciting prospect, though.

allmIne

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2008
United Kingdom
Hey everybody, I trust your opinions, so maybe somebody could offer me a little advice!?

I was looking at buying the LX3 - based mainly on hugely positive reviews, and its stunning looks. I then saw the LX5 will be available late August. In between, I spotted the NEX-3 (with both the 16mm and 18-55, as everybody generally recommends against the 16mm only).

I'm really just interested in taking nice pictures, though the more easily accessible manual controls on the LX3/LX5 are attractive, if I ever need them or get really enthusiastic. Price isn't so much of an issue - the LX3 is £280 now, while the NEX-3 kit is £499. The LX5 will fall somewhere in between.

Any advice for a non-photography guy looking for nice pictures of landscapes, friends, shooting in conditions running the gamut from +35 sun to -30 snow, and who some day would like to try a few HDR images? The LX3 is a steal at the price, but it concerns me the camera is 2.5 years old. Should it?

Thanks so much.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Hey everybody, I trust your opinions, so maybe somebody could offer me a little advice!?

I was looking at buying the LX3 - based mainly on hugely positive reviews, and its stunning looks. I then saw the LX5 will be available late August. In between, I spotted the NEX-3 (with both the 16mm and 18-55, as everybody generally recommends against the 16mm only).

I'm really just interested in taking nice pictures, though the more easily accessible manual controls on the LX3/LX5 are attractive, if I ever need them or get really enthusiastic. Price isn't so much of an issue - the LX3 is £280 now, while the NEX-3 kit is £499. The LX5 will fall somewhere in between.

Any advice for a non-photography guy looking for nice pictures of landscapes, friends, shooting in conditions running the gamut from +35 sun to -30 snow, and who some day would like to try a few HDR images? The LX3 is a steal at the price, but it concerns me the camera is 2.5 years old. Should it?

Thanks so much.

depends how "nice" you want the images to be. the LX3 is good, and that doesn't change just because the LX5 came out. however, no P&S can touch a large sensor-camera in anything but ideal lighting conditions, and their sensors are too small to allow for selective focus (shallow depth-of-field), if you want to do be able to do that.

TWLreal

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2006
While small, the LXes (and their Samsung clone) aren't much more pocketable than a mirrorless
Each person has a different definition of pocketable.

But it should be safe to say the DMC-LX models are much smaller than a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera with a standard zoom lens mounted.

39704426819f5080e467o.jpg

If you're willing to compromise zoom range and use a fixed lens, the difference is smaller but still significant.

3977272014a44c91062fo.jpg

3976509229599056b0e2o.jpg

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2008
Each person has a different definition of pocketable.

But it should be safe to say the DMC-LX models are much smaller than a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera with a standard zoom lens mounted.

Agree that the LXes are certainly smaller, even with the pancakes on the mirrorless ILCs, it's just that I don't find that they're comfortable in a pants or even a (non-winter) coat pocket, for me, so I end up carrying my D-Lux in a small carrying case or bag, which could easily fit a GF1.

allmIne

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2008
United Kingdom
depends how "nice" you want the images to be. the LX3 is good, and that doesn't change just because the LX5 came out. however, no P&S can touch a large sensor-camera in anything but ideal lighting conditions, and their sensors are too small to allow for selective focus (shallow depth-of-field), if you want to do be able to do that.

Hey, thanks for your response. I appreciate the LX3 doesn't become less good now the LX5 has been released; I just worried that it might be a little daft buying 2.5 year old technology, as it could become obsolete quicker.

Selective focus did appeal to me, though apparently, the NEX-3 isn't particularly wonderful at it either, even with the 18-55 lens. Decisions!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.