PDA

View Full Version : ibook fan always on, is this normal?

Superhob
Nov 13, 2004, 06:02 PM
Hi all,

I have a brand new ibook 1.2ghz with the 60gb option. From the first minute I turned the ibook on, I could hear the fan humming (even though the computer was cold). The fan stays on constantly, regardless of the level of use. I even tried changing the processor speed to "reduced" but the fan is still always on.

Does the fact that the fan is always on mean that I will get a reduced battery life than apple claims?

All you ibook owners please help. Is this normal or should I call apple?

TLRedhawke
Nov 13, 2004, 06:19 PM
It is not normal, it will reduce your battery life, and you should get it fixed. Sorry for the succinctness, but there's not much more to say than that.

mkrishnan
Nov 13, 2004, 06:53 PM
Yeah, ditto that it sounds like a defect.

You should expect that the fan runs relatively rarely, in particular if you are using it on a soft surface like on a sofa, as opposed to a desk (so it cannot ventilate) or hitting the optical drive while doing other stuff (I'm watching a movie and using Safari and Adium at the same time, on a sofa, and it's on about 25%-35% of the time). And that's in automatic processor mode, plugged in.

daveybe
Dec 5, 2004, 09:55 PM
Thanks for posting this. I'm having the same problem lately w/my iBook, and my Applecare runs out in less than a month. I'd better get on the phone to Apple.

But before i call them, i'm curious to know: did you have any luck getting Apple to cover this repair? Or did they say it's normal beahvior?

andiwm2003
Dec 5, 2004, 10:10 PM
Hi all,

I have a brand new ibook 1.2ghz with the 60gb option. From the first minute I turned the ibook on, I could hear the fan humming (even though the computer was cold). The fan stays on constantly, regardless of the level of use. I even tried changing the processor speed to "reduced" but the fan is still always on.

Does the fact that the fan is always on mean that I will get a reduced battery life than apple claims?

All you ibook owners please help. Is this normal or should I call apple?

i had the same problem on my pb after a few month of use. zap the parameter ram (i think ctr-command-p-r at start up). you will hear a second start up sound. that solved the problem for me.it somehow resets the temperature control. i got that from another post here at the forum so it works not only for me.

andi

millar876
Dec 6, 2004, 12:11 AM
to zap PRAM its "cmd-Alt-P-R" on startup (on the ibooks own or a hardwired keyboard(i.e. not bt-KB)) antil you hear the second startup chyme.

Superhob
Dec 6, 2004, 10:28 AM
to zap PRAM its "cmd-Alt-P-R" on startup (on the ibooks own or a hardwired keyboard(i.e. not bt-KB)) antil you hear the second startup chyme.

That's exactly what I did, except I didn't know what It was called. The applecare rep had me go through all sorts of stuff, including the PRAM reset described above and I heard the two startup chimes. The computer has been fine ever since. Good luck with your issue!

daveybe
Dec 8, 2004, 03:56 PM
Thanks! The PRAM reset did make the fan come on less frequently, although when it does, it still runs continuously (hours & hours). But at least now when I call Applecare, i know what they'll ask me to do.

Thanks to all for your replies!