PDA

View Full Version : TwelveSouth iPad Compass Stand

Mr. Biggles
Jul 21, 2010, 03:22 PM
Pretty nice!

http://www.twelvesouth.com/static/assets/products/productheaderimage/image/pageHeroImages_compass3pc_comp.jpg

http://www.twelvesouth.com/static/assets/products/productheaderimage/image/pageHeroImages_compass_keyboard.jpg

http://www.twelvesouth.com/static/assets/products/productheaderimage/image/pageHeroImages_compass_back_new.jpg

http://twelvesouth.com/products/compass/

danrel
Jul 21, 2010, 03:57 PM
Very nice looking stand!

I wish I'd have seen this one before I dropped $50 on that giant Griffin stand. Although the Griffin stand is incredibly sturdy, it's not nearly as portable for carrying in a small bag as this one appears to be.

IrishVixen
Jul 21, 2010, 05:03 PM
Nice! I have their BookArc stands for both the ipad and my MBP. But I went with something similar to this a few weeks ago. I use it all the time; i'm typing on my lap with it right now, actually. Only mine was half the price and works with my MBP as well because the legs are extendible:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180516591033&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_2266wt_962

No affiliation with the seller, just passing along a great deal and fast shipping. Others have it on eBay and Amazon as well.

Wish the TwelveSouth one had been available when I bought my iPad though, I would've picked it up in a heartbeat. The BookArc looks great on my nightstand, but it would be nice to have only had to buy ONE stand for both portability and storage purposes.

Some pics of mine in use...we frequently use it with Epicurious and other recipe apps in the kitchen.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn6/Kayakinz/Kindle/IMG_0483.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn6/Kayakinz/Kindle/IMG_0480.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn6/Kayakinz/Kindle/IMG_0482.jpg

mashinhead
Jul 21, 2010, 05:06 PM
sold!

henrikrox
Jul 21, 2010, 05:39 PM
damn twelvesouth knows how to make beautiful looking products. ANd i love i can fold the damn thing, and bring it on a plane etc. love it.

Mr. Biggles
Jul 21, 2010, 06:01 PM
Nice! I have their BookArc stands for both the ipad and my MBP.
Wish the TwelveSouth one had been available when I bought my iPad though, I would've picked it up in a heartbeat. ]

We have the iPad BookArc in the household also, and while it's used a lot I personally purchased a Jadu for myself. It would have been a bit of a decision between the Compass and the Jadu if they were both available at the same time as you mention. Still tempting though since the legs at the base appear to accommodate a wide varity of case thickness's, whereas the Jadu is limited. Hmmm:)

mixvio
Jul 21, 2010, 06:15 PM
TwelveSouth's stuff is beautiful, but how is it actually typing? From the looks of the landscape work mode those feet seem to stick up pretty high. I would think they get in the way.

IrishVixen
Jul 21, 2010, 06:20 PM
TwelveSouth's stuff is beautiful, but how is it actually typing? From the looks of the landscape work mode those feet seem to stick up pretty high. I would think they get in the way.

In the typing position pic, they do look pretty long, don't they? On my eBay cheapie, they stick out maybe a quarter inch, and I've never once had them be in the way. That's going caseless--so if you're using the iPad cased one one of these, it should be a non issue. But the way they have it pictured makes it seem like they're a bit too long for those of us with naked iPads.

Wonder when/if they'll have them in the Apple store?

(I shouldn't even be thinking about it, what I have works great. But damn, that thing is just gorgeous....)

mixvio
Jul 21, 2010, 07:18 PM
In the typing position pic, they do look pretty long, don't they? On my eBay cheapie, they stick out maybe a quarter inch, and I've never once had them be in the way. That's going caseless--so if you're using the iPad cased one one of these, it should be a non issue. But the way they have it pictured makes it seem like they're a bit too long for those of us with naked iPads.

(I shouldn't even be thinking about it, what I have works great. But damn, that thing is just gorgeous....)

Well I can't say I quite understand the idea of using the stand with a case like the Apple one, which already folds back into a mode for typing. If it was one of the cases that just encloses the back of it that'd be one thing, but then I would be scared about scratching the front screen!

prot0type
Jul 21, 2010, 07:32 PM

Was actually close to ordering the cheapie you posted, but the "work mode" feature of the 12south has me sold.

Anybody know of any coupon codes for their site :)

Ganges
Jul 21, 2010, 07:46 PM
Powder coated steel? If they were going to use steel, couldn't they have used stainless considering the almost $40 price point. It looks stainless in the pics? Is that silver paint?

IrishVixen
Jul 21, 2010, 08:03 PM
Well I can't say I quite understand the idea of using the stand with a case like the Apple one, which already folds back into a mode for typing. If it was one of the cases that just encloses the back of it that'd be one thing, but then I would be scared about scratching the front screen!

Easy...it has WAY more positions than the Apple case does. I have the MacAlly Bookstand, which is similar to the Apple case, and for quite a while I did use it together with my cheapie eBay stand to get angles the MacAlly couldn't achieve. A real stand is also far more stable than either the MacAlly or the Apple case (or my husband's MEdge, which has a jury-rigged non official "stand" position.)

Now I don't use any case at all, just an MEdge leather sleeve. I just prefer the slim feel and weight of the iPad alone. The MacAlly is only used for plane travel, where the stand takes up a bit too much space on a tray table. Frankly, I may pick up a really tiny stand even for that purpose!

prot0type--Ran a search a couple of weeks ago for coupons for TwelveSouth...no dice. Let us know please if you find anything. You're right, that "work mode" position with the extra short leg is a plus for tabletop work. Don't think it would work as well on my lap though as my current one does.

prot0type
Jul 21, 2010, 08:43 PM
Jah, searched earlier and negative on the coupon front.

More than likely it'll show up on eBay for a little less, but unfortunately I'm suffering from some form of gotta have it now syndrome.

md63
Jul 23, 2010, 01:49 PM
Has anyone used the 12 South stand for typing? I love the look and design, however, those tabs on the bottom look tall and look like they would make typing difficult.

SchneiderMan
Jul 23, 2010, 01:54 PM
Powder coated steel? If they were going to use steel, couldn't they have used stainless considering the almost $40 price point. It looks stainless in the pics? Is that silver paint?

It's anodized, looks just like Apple's aluminum products.

md63
Jul 23, 2010, 02:31 PM
It's anodized, looks just like Apple's aluminum products.

Anodization is a chemical treatment of aluminum which changes the exterior color and makes the surface very hard. I don't believe Apple products are anodized. If they were there wouldn't be the issue ofsurface scratches and dents.

Mr. Biggles
Jul 23, 2010, 03:13 PM
Has anyone used the 12 South stand for typing? I love the look and design, however, those tabs on the bottom look tall and look like they would make typing difficult.

Macfeed.com posted some more photos. This one shows the legs from the front...doesn't seem like an issue.

http://themacfeed.com/wp-content/uploads/DSC_0354-630x421.jpg

itoddm
Jul 24, 2010, 06:43 PM
I just picked up the twelve south compass up at my apple retail store. Looks fen sleeker in person. I have one of the others that was mentioned earlier in the thread. It works great but when i saw how small the 12south compass was compared to the other, i had to have it. Haven't tried it out yet. Was surprised it was already in the apple store today

flipangle
Jul 24, 2010, 10:39 PM
I just picked up the twelve south compass up at my apple retail store. Looks fen sleeker in person. I have one of the others that was mentioned earlier in the thread. It works great but when i saw how small the 12south compass was compared to the other, i had to have it. Haven't tried it out yet. Was surprised it was already in the apple store today

Please give us some feedback. I saw it at the apple store today and was really interested but I wanted someone to try it out first. The only downside is that it's a little heavy.

mixvio
Jul 25, 2010, 03:08 AM
I'd especially be interested in feedback from someone typing on a desk with it pretty regularly. Front pics or not those tabs look like they'd be poking me in the wrist.

md63
Jul 25, 2010, 08:19 AM
Does anyone know if the 5th Ave store has the 12South compass? I really like the design but am concerned about the height of the tabs in the work position. I had previously picked up the a version of the other stand shown above in this thread and I like it except that when typing the stand is in a very flat configuration and it probably won't work very well in tight spaces such as a plane.

Warbrain
Jul 25, 2010, 08:27 AM
I saw this in an Apple store a few weeks ago and almost picked it up. I've been considering a stand but just don't know which one I would want.

itoddm
Jul 25, 2010, 08:33 AM
The little stoppers don't poke me in the wrist at all when I'm typing in the flat position. The flat position doesn't have much of an incline though. I could see myself putting a book under it to give it a little more elevation. This is based on about 15 minutes of use from last night. It has a travel sleeve which is great so when i throw it into my bag I don't have to worry about it scratching up anything else.

applesupergeek
Jul 25, 2010, 11:37 AM
Very nice.

UnseenLlama
Jul 26, 2010, 05:59 AM
Ordered the one from eBay. $40 seems a bit steep for the stand, but that's just me. :o

TraceyS/FL
Jul 26, 2010, 06:29 AM
I could not type with my iPad on that - those things would poke the crap out of me and get in my way! I'm also the freak though that prefers to type with the iPad flat anyway... just like i type here at my desk with my forearms resting on the desktop (high desktop coupled with a drafting chair). Wrist issues dictate everything, and that says "no bending"!

Macfeed.com posted some more photos. This one shows the legs from the front...doesn't seem like an issue.

http://themacfeed.com/wp-content/uploads/DSC_0354-630x421.jpg

GoCubsGo
Jul 26, 2010, 06:41 AM
It's a nice over priced stand. I'd buy one if it were more reasonably priced.

md63
Jul 26, 2010, 02:40 PM
I just picked up the Compass stand from the 5th Ave Apple Store. They didn't have them on display but I happened to see another customer with one in hand and found out that they had them in back. Based on my limited experience with the stand I would say it's a little expensive but worth the money. The best feature is that it's very compact. Last week I picked up the KB Stand which appears to be a branded version of the stand being sold on Ebay which was listed above in this thread. I didn't realized the same stand was being sold on eBay but fortunately I can return the KB. I will post some comparison pictures later since people were considering both of these.

The Compass seems to be about 1/3 the volume of the KB Stand. It is also much better built, however the Compass seems less stable in the typing position. My concern about the Compass was the tabs on the lower arms being too tall and interfering with my palms, however that doesn't seem to be an issue. What I didn't like the KB was that in the typing position the rear leg extended back and gave the stand a very large foot print. This probably would make it a vey good option for use on a plane.

IrishVixen
Jul 26, 2010, 02:59 PM
I just picked up the Compass stand from the 5th Ave Apple Store. They didn't have them on display but I happened to see another customer with one in hand and found out that they had them in back. Based on my limited experience with the stand I would say it's a little expensive but worth the money. The best feature is that it's very compact. Last week I picked up the KB Stand which appears to be a branded version of the stand being sold on Ebay which was listed above in this thread. I didn't realized the same stand was being sold on eBay but fortunately I can return the KB. I will post some comparison pictures later since people were considering both of these.

The Compass seems to be about 1/3 the volume of the KB Stand. It is also much better built, however the Compass seems less stable in the typing position. My concern about the Compass was the tabs on the lower arms being too tall and interfering with my palms, however that doesn't seem to be an issue. What I didn't like the KB was that in the typing position the rear leg extended back and gave the stand a very large foot print. This probably would make it a vey good option for use on a plane.

One thing I was thinking about...the eBay folding stand has multiple positions for the upright viewing angle. The pics I've seen for the Compass seem to show only one. Can you confirm?

The back leg extension issue for the eBay stand is a nuisance, I agree, but it's also what makes that stand so stable in typing position, and I use that all the time. We're taking several flights over the next few months, and I'm still working out what to do. Most likely, I'll either use my MacAlly Bookstand for in flight use, or get a $15 BookGem stand through Amazon...they're neither as stable nor as adjustable is I'd prefer for daily use, but for occasional trips, it should be fine.

Can't wait to see your comparison shots!

md63
Jul 26, 2010, 03:26 PM
Here are some pictures.

md63
Jul 26, 2010, 03:29 PM
One thing I was thinking about...the eBay folding stand has multiple positions for the upright viewing angle. The pics I've seen for the Compass seem to show only one. Can you confirm?

The back leg extension issue for the eBay stand is a nuisance, I agree, but it's also what makes that stand so stable in typing position, and I use that all the time. We're taking several flights over the next few months, and I'm still working out what to do. Most likely, I'll either use my MacAlly Bookstand for in flight use, or get a $15 BookGem stand through Amazon...they're neither as stable nor as adjustable is I'd prefer for daily use, but for occasional trips, it should be fine.

Can't wait to see your comparison shots!

With the Compass only two positions are possible. One position for typing and the other for upright (eg watching movies.) The KB Stand has 6 locking positions between full upright and fully reclined for typing.

md63
Jul 26, 2010, 03:54 PM
Below are several additional pictures showing the fully reclined setting for the KB Stand. I believe this is the proper typing position for the KB. These pictures show the Compass is about 1/2 the depth of the KB Stand. Makes a big difference in tight places such as a plane. The other thing to note is the iPad on the Compass sits about 1/2 inch closer to the table than it does on the KB. This makes typing more comfortable and although the tabs of the Compass are about 1/8 inch longer they don't pose a problem for typing because the iPad is sitting closer to the table.

Another thing I noted is that the Compass can be used without the bottom tabs since the main legs have a rubbery surface which inhibits slipping. It actually seemed a little more stable in this position possibly because it sits lower and the bottom Edge of the iPad is in full contact with the table. I took a few pictures with my iPad sitting on the table surface. I use a Belkin Grip Vue case so it may provide more grip than a naked iPad.

I hope this helps.

prot0type
Jul 26, 2010, 03:55 PM
The last pic with both positioned for typing is what kept me from the KB stand.

Personally, the footprint seems to take up more space than I would like.

Gratitude for the comparison shots :)

IrishVixen
Jul 26, 2010, 04:18 PM
The footprint of the KB stand is definitely a disadvantage when using it on a small surface (airplane tray table being the obvious example). However, I use it for large chunks of the day when lounging on the couch with my knees bent. That long third leg and wider adjustable position means I can literally hang both stand and iPad over my bent knees at a couple of different angles...perfect for reading and oddly comfortable for typing too.

I wish the Compass had the multiple positioning capability of the KB AND that shorter typing position leg. For me, that would have made for the perfect stand--beautiful and more functional than anything else on the market. Still, it appears to be a great product, not that I'd expect anything less from TwelveSouth.

Thanks for the pics, they're great for seeing how these two stands perform!

md63
Jul 26, 2010, 08:21 PM
The footprint of the KB stand is definitely a disadvantage when using it on a small surface (airplane tray table being the obvious example). However, I use it for large chunks of the day when lounging on the couch with my knees bent. That long third leg and wider adjustable position means I can literally hang both stand and iPad over my bent knees at a couple of different angles...perfect for reading and oddly comfortable for typing too.

I wish the Compass had the multiple positioning capability of the KB AND that shorter typing position leg. For me, that would have made for the perfect stand--beautiful and more functional than anything else on the market. Still, it appears to be a great product, not that I'd expect anything less from TwelveSouth.

There are definitely positive points for both stands. The Compass is much better for travel due to it's compact size and nicely padded travel case. It can fit in my small brief case with my iPad with no problem. The Compass is also very nice industrial design like all 12South products. The one downside that I see with the Compass is that it doesn't lock on either position. At some point I pushed the stand in the wrong direction and it collapsed. Not a big deal since I wouldn't normally try to slide the stand on the table.

The KB Stand has the advantage of being more adjustable and lockable in many positions. I could definitely see the KB being more useful at home when size and footprint aren't a consideration.

T4R06
Jul 26, 2010, 08:54 PM
md63 - where can i buy that KB stand that looks the same color like yours? this will compliment my incipio feather - matte

thanks in advance

Ganges
Jul 26, 2010, 10:42 PM
MD63, can you talk more about the compass material. Someone in this thread stated it was anodized aluminum, but the website said powder coated steel, and the pic almost look like stainless?

md63
Jul 27, 2010, 06:35 AM
md63 - where can i buy that KB stand that looks the same color like yours? this will compliment my incipio feather - matte

thanks in advance

I purchased my stand at J&R ,however you should check bay since I believe the cheaper non branded version is also available in black.

md63
Jul 27, 2010, 06:37 AM
MD63, can you talk more about the compass material. Someone in this thread stated it was anodized aluminum, but the website said powder coated steel, and the pic almost look like stainless?

It's not stainless steal. I also don't believe it's anodized aluminum. It feels very heavy in hand so my guess is it's a painted steal.

nowstime
Jul 27, 2010, 04:40 PM
Got one today from the Apple store...solid built and compact design...Love it.

Just wish the upright viewing angle was closer to a right angle.

prot0type
Jul 27, 2010, 06:42 PM
Got it today, love it.

Just need to be careful when in typing mode as it can easily tilt over. Aside from that, would like to see more colors but I don't recall Twelve South doing an assortment of colors for their other items.

SchneiderMan
Jul 27, 2010, 08:02 PM
Got it today, love it.

Just need to be careful when in typing mode as it can easily tilt over. Aside from that, would like to see more colors but I don't recall Twelve South doing an assortment of colors for their other items.

Well that sounds like a con to me. If it's meant to be typed on in that position, then it should not tilt at all.

prot0type
Jul 27, 2010, 08:19 PM
Nah, I mean if you put pressure on either side past the keyboard such as on the bezel, it'll surely tip. But I doubt anyone will be pressing hard enough for that to happen especially when touch typing on the keyboard.

Duh, home button. That would be one con. The pressure I spoke about? Make sure you're supporting the iPad as you're pressing the home button.

GaresTaylan
Jul 27, 2010, 08:54 PM
Whatever happened to a version of the bookbook case for the iPad? They blogged months ago that one was in the works.

horatio8
Jul 28, 2010, 09:18 AM

Wouldn't the Skadoosh stand by Jadu Industries fit your needs better? It's compact and almost infinitely adjustable.

mrathee
Jul 28, 2010, 10:32 AM
twelvesouth's products are fantastic. aesthetically pleasing without sacrificing functionality.

i am so close to breaking down and getting the compass stand.

IrishVixen
Jul 28, 2010, 12:00 PM
Wouldn't the Skadoosh stand by Jadu Industries fit your needs better? It's compact and almost infinitely adjustable.

From what I've read, it's not a good lap stand, and as I said, I do 95% of my work with the iPad on my lap. The Skadoosh also is fairly heavy, making it something I'd be less inclined to travel with, and while it appears very well built, I personally think it's overpriced. It's suffering from the "iPad premium" all these manufacturers think we should pay.

horatio8
Jul 29, 2010, 07:26 AM
From what I've read, it's not a good lap stand, and as I said, I do 95% of my work with the iPad on my lap. The Skadoosh also is fairly heavy, making it something I'd be less inclined to travel with, and while it appears very well built, I personally think it's overpriced. It's suffering from the "iPad premium" all these manufacturers think we should pay.

You're right about it not being a good lap stand. It's borderline heavy to travel with but folds up, so it's pretty compact. I'm very happy with it, but I did pay the introductory price of $58. It's a start-up company, so maybe the price comes as manufacturing efficiency increases.

I also have the Stickup Stand by Seskimo. It's light as a feather, but I think it probably also needs to be on a table.

ScubaCinci
Jul 29, 2010, 08:45 AM
Wow, a decent stand at a somewhat reasonable price

jazz1
Jul 29, 2010, 05:51 PM
Nah, I mean if you put pressure on either side past the keyboard such as on the bezel, it'll surely tip. But I doubt anyone will be pressing hard enough for that to happen especially when touch typing on the keyboard.

Duh, home button. That would be one con. The pressure I spoke about? Make sure you're supporting the iPad as you're pressing the home button.

Yes, in the lower typing position in landscape mode tipping is a problem if you punch the home button without supporting it.

Gustavo
Jul 30, 2010, 01:36 AM
I am a fan on KB Covers facebook page...they gave one away last week, but unfortunately I didn't win, however there is a Facebook promo FB2010 gets 10% discount.

I like their other products so I gave the KB Stand a shot and I really like it. I like the 6 positions of the stand vs. the 2 positions of the 12 south. My favorite angle is between the 2 offered by 12 south and that is the one I use 90% of the time. The price was $10 less for the KB Stand (plus the promo, so it was actually like $13).

I just learned that the legs extend on the KB Stand to use it as a notebook stand too! I am pretty impressed with the KB Stand.

MacJames8
Jul 30, 2010, 01:23 PM
look nice, I like it.

itoddm
Jul 30, 2010, 09:59 PM
KB is more useful but the Compass is more portable.

Before I had the Compass, I was riding for 2 hours and used the KD with the back leg draped over my leg almost like a hook. SO it was useful in that manner.

Each of them is great in their own way. I've been switching back and forth

SLOlife
Aug 1, 2010, 07:44 PM
Just got the Compass stand yesterday. So far, I really like it. I've been typing and scrolling around the Internet and haven't had any problems with tilting. The pegs haven't been an issue either. I can rest my wrists on the table without touching the pegs. Another good one from 12South. Now if they would just get the cover out...