Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota

Attachments

• promo_server_powermac_step1.gif
    promo_server_powermac_step1.gif
    4.5 KB · Views: 65,748

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
not bloody likely....

the image location is above the "fastest" powermac (dual 1.25ghz) and says coming soon, with no link to anywhere....it's just an image, nothing more

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Bloody likely, I don't think they would release a new dual 1.3 or the like for the server market and not say it's a graphics workstation. Even though the graphic designer would buy them anyway.

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Yeah and the powermac servers have always had the same spec except more ram, better networking capabilities and a few other things.

You smoke that.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
W-_-W is right. The PMG4 servers have never been any better than the regular PMG4's released at the same time. Sorry, but better not get your hopes up. It's nothing special. (Except it's good news for that guy who was whining over at MacNN about no tower servers :rolleyes: )

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
Do you think that we'll see Quad-G4s in these? I don't see why not.

While the Xserve holds two processors, a hefty server could fit four quite easily (or so I would imagine).

If a Tower Server held four processors, though, they'd most certainly have to be 7470s with the fastest DDR available to offer enough bandwidth.

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Rice_web, Apple will not only make the servers quads, as mentioned before, graphics people will feel left out and a whole new pm would be released which I don't think is going to happen for a while.

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Rice_web, Apple will not only make the servers quads, as mentioned before, graphic designers will want the update too, a whole new pm would be released which I don't think is going to happen for a while.

Sorry for the confusion

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
Well, Quad-G4s would certainly be reason enough for the elaborate cooling system that is in place.

Although, I would expect that the Quad-G4 PowerMac would be a seperate line of G4s, running at roughly 900MHz and 1.16GHz. It would be a completely seperate line-up, and would probably feature MacOS X Server (although they'd probably give the option for both operating systems).

cyberfunk

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
coming soon, HA !

I dobut they';ll be coming soon, I just got a letter (email) from Apple telling me my new computer is delayed due to parts shortage for 15 days, and mine's a Dual Ghz standard config, now what the heck is that >????

MacArtist

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
In the past few iterations of the tower servers the only thing that set them appart from the normal towers were OS X Server and a quad ethernet card. Everything else you could get BTO on the regular tower. So I don't expect these to be much different than the current towers.

No Quad G4. No cpu faster than 1.25GHz.

kungfu

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2002
the coming soon image isn't just on the education store... it's on the consumer store too, check it out here .

Biggles

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2002
Ohio
This is a little off topic, but....

Can you use an Xserve just like a normal PowerMac? I mean do u have to connect it to one of those massive racks? Or could u just set it on your desk with a power cord coming out the back?

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Re: maybe...

Originally posted by Blackcat
The G4 Server Tower might use XServe drive modules. That might explain the nasty mirrored drive bay.

Nasty? I think it looks cool! Too much chrome can look bad but not when apple designs it.

crazylb1

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2002
Boulder
mmm, mirrored metal goodness

Don't diss the new pm's mirrored metal drive bays. I was at my local CompUSA and they had 3 of the new ones on display and they look so much sweeter than their older 3 pm's. It is practically a mirrored surface, its so shiny:p

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Re: Re: maybe...

Originally posted by W-_-W

Nasty? I think it looks cool! Too much chrome can look bad but not when apple designs it.

Yeah, until all those greasy thumbprints encircle the power button and headphone jack. :p And somebody sitting to the side of your desk accidentally places a nice huge scratch across it with their watch as they point to something on your monitor. The possibilities are as bad as the iPod (unless you keep the protective plastic on it, that looks SOOOO pretty! ;) )

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Too keep it nice and shiny I'll be keeping a box of tissues by my mac, and a chrome repair kit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.