PDA

View Full Version : Useful university/graduate level applications?

kntgsp
Jul 22, 2010, 10:31 AM
Are there any useful higher education apps for university/graduate level education? Organic Chemistry, Molecular Biology, Thermodynamics?

"The Elements" is a decent start, but are there any Molecular Modeling applications that would largely eliminate the need for kits for example? The touch screen would lend itself quite well to creating three dimensional representations and eliminate the need for another thing university students need to drag around.

I ask because a large portion of university students where I work seem to be embracing the iPad, and keep talking about the lack of actual educational software available aside from the worthless kiddie applications. I'd like to direct them somewhere but a majority of the applications seem to just be basic information that shows up on Wikipedia, only with more pictures.

All the "2+2=?" apps are grouped with the university and graduate level applications which makes them even more difficult to find in the first place. Anyone know if there's a plan to dump all the kiddie garbage in a "K-12" section?

uraniumwilly
Jul 22, 2010, 11:35 AM
To answer your question, my guess would be that contacting the existing developers who create apps that currently run on computers and asking them if there are iPad app creation plans, might gain some results. I'm a student also and am looking forward to the app "Notebook" for iPad. I know they are working on an iPad version since I went to their site and had a look around.

I'm curious what the market is right now, for iPad-owning students, as compared to other markets.

bluedog3401
Jul 22, 2010, 11:38 AM
Are there any useful higher education apps for university/graduate level education?
All the "2+2=?" apps are grouped with the university and graduate level applications which makes them even more difficult to find in the first place. Anyone know if there's a plan to dump all the kiddie garbage in a "K-12" section?

Calling those apps garbage is about as useful as saying, "Who needs garbage thermodynamics apps? If you want real computing use a real computer."

But you bring up a valid and good point which in my opinion Apple needs to address. As the popularity and quantity of apps ballooned, the sorting, categorizing and 'best sellers' lists just don't cut it for FINDING the apps that may be available and want to purchase.

It would be helpful to have subcategories that designate a general age appropriate grouping or market segment. I'm guessing these would be ratings within a category and each category may have unique subcategories (not ALL with the same subcategories).

The problem seems obvious, and places like Amazon and eBay do a REMARKABLE job of sorting/sifting out the undesired results to give you at least a CHANCE of finding what you want. It would be helpful if they did more for browsing and finding apps. I don't think their current 'social media' stuff is the only solution to this issue.

What I've found is 3rd party websites that catalog and list apps are BETTER at finding what I want/need or am looking for when searching than the actual Apple iTunes App Store. There are at least a dozen out there, but I've become partial to http://www.appshopper.com/

If anyone else has methods or other sites they use to help find useful apps, please post them.

kntgsp
Jul 22, 2010, 12:16 PM
What I've found is 3rd party websites that catalog and list apps are BETTER at finding what I want/need or am looking for when searching than the actual Apple iTunes App Store. There are at least a dozen out there, but I've become partial to http://www.appshopper.com/

If anyone else has methods or other sites they use to help find useful apps, please post them.

This is useful.

sinsin07
Jul 22, 2010, 07:35 PM
I have been "studying" Appshopperr since April 2009. I like this site but it could use improvement. For instance, you should be able to filter out apps by language. I hate going to the site and seeing a bunch of foreign language apps. Yes they are useful, but not if you do not speak or write Mandarin or Cantonese. Don't want to seem them. The second is you cannot filter by price. Therefore, I recommend Apptism. There you can filter by price. The type of apps you are looking for will probably be pricey and not on Appshopper's top 100.