Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fxguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
Hello Everyone, new to the forum and new to mac gamming but a long time mac user (Since the Apple IIe baby!) :)
Anyways, I was wondering if anyone can recommend some Mac games similar to ones I currently enjoy playing.

Currently I enjoy playing

On Facebook:
Farmville
Verdonia
Kingdoms of Camelot

On iPhone:
Castle Craft
We rule
Farmville

Basically I am like these style RPGs where there is not a lot of battle but more focus on building towns / civilizations and resource management sort of things. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Fxguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
I've been searching a getting together a list of top recommended RPG games, what I am looking for though is games similar to the ones I listed, which I am not finding.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I've been searching a getting together a list of top recommended RPG games, what I am looking for though is games similar to the ones I listed, which I am not finding.

You may get better results by posting game-related threads in the game forum, where other gamers are more likely to be watching.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Torchlight for Mac (Steam) has been getting good vibes. However the best RPGs I'm familiar with are on Windows or Console. Oblivion gets high marks for an open world RPG and it's available on Windows and XBox. Don't know about PS3 for that game.

ThomasLund

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2009
Not sure I would call the listed games for RPG - but then again I dont think there is a set definition for those.

For iPad/iPhone you should take a look at God Finger. Pretty nifty. I also got CastleCraft, We Rule etc, and God Finger takes things into a little more "here and now" gaming.

/Thomas

diegobgr

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2009
not a lot of battle but more focus on building towns / civilizations and resource management sort of things. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe Anno 1404. It's not RPG, it's strategy.

You have to use Bootcamp, it's Windows only.

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2009/06/12/anno-1404-dawn-of-discovery-review/1

952498_20090715_790screen002.jpg

952498_20090715_790screen003.jpg

959700_20090618_790screen003.jpg

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
As everyone else is saying, your list and request doesn't really ask for RPG, but more 'strategy / city builder'.

I second Anno 1404 and the Venice expansion.

Also, the recently released Majesty 2 and Kingmaker expansion are quite good.

Of course, those are PC-only. You might also check out Civilization IV, which is on Steam now for Mac. It is more strategy than 'city builder', but you might like it.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Basically I am like these style RPGs where there is not a lot of battle but more focus on building towns / civilizations and resource management sort of things. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I skipped over this part on my first response. You are not into RPG, but RTS (Real Time Strategy) or TBS (Turn Based Strategy) like Civilization which does have fighting, lots of fighting in addition to resource management, or a pure city building game like Sim City.

PowerGamerX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2009
You mean RTS's/TBS's. Lets see, if you like lots of resource management...

Rise of Nations Gold

and kind of off beat but still great for what you're probably looking for

SimCity 4.

savvos

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2007
...Civilization... does have fighting, lots of fighting in addition to resource management...

Civ IV can be beaten without fighting any of the other civilizations (just the barbarians who attack you). It's a huge pain, but I've done it several times.

Tesseract

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008
The two "must-haves" on the Mac right now are:
Dragon Age: Origins (traditional RPG)
Torchlight (dungeon crawler)

Edit: oh, you mean RTS/TBS
Uhhhh Civ IV is the only one I can think of at the moment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.