PDA

View Full Version : cleaning wax from my powerbook screen


Chubby Cox
Nov 14, 2004, 09:06 PM
well....to make a long story short, i was a little too violent in blowing out a candle close to my powerbook, and a small amount of wax splashed on the screen. i used a damp paper towel and was able to clean off most of it, but there's still a little residue left. any suggestions on some sort of solvent or something that i could use?

and yes, i'm an idiot :)

DanTekGeek
Nov 14, 2004, 09:09 PM
noo! whatever you do, dont use a solvent. If you need to, take a little bit of detergent and put it on a lint free cloth along with water. rub gently, and eventually, it will come of.

dotnina
Nov 14, 2004, 09:16 PM
Agreed -- no solvent, ever, anywhere on a Powerbook!

How big is the bit of wax? If it's tiny, try blowing warm air on it to soften it. Perhaps -- PERHAPS -- a blow dryer on a low setting, held at least 12" away from the screen, would also work. When it's softer, it should be easier to remove. Gently wipe away with a non-abrasive cloth or tissue (make sure it's not one of those tissues that has lotion in it).

If there's a remaining smudge, use an LCD cleaner. Try not to spread the wax around, though, of course. I have a cleaner by 3M: it's a little spray bottle and a tiny shammy. I think I got it at Best Buy, but I've seen it other places, too. I wouldn't recommend using anything other than an LCD cleaner.

Anyway, take my comments for what they're worth, because I've never actually had to clean wax off an LCD. (Thankfully! :eek: :p )

Stampyhead
Nov 14, 2004, 10:21 PM
Try the iKlear Apple Polish available from the Apple store. It's supposed to be good for cleaning anything from Powerbook screens.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/71501/wo/SN7SoogBf3Xu292sST2e65Xci5n/3.0.11.1.0.6.25.7.11.0.3

Boobs
Nov 14, 2004, 11:00 PM
Dude, I did the same thing about a year ago. I went to Radio Shack and bought a bottle of Fellowes Perfect Clean that came with a cloth. First turn your computer off. If possible try and carefully chip any chunks off. Rub whichever cleaning solutuon you buy in a circle and the wax will slowly wash away. Just be carefull not to spread it to much. Be patient and laugh off your stupidity. It worked like a charm for me. Good luck. :)