Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ohla313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
So I just got an iPhone 4 and used the headphones with mic for the first time just now and noticed that when I talk into it, it sounds like I am on speakerphone. Does anyone else have this issue? Is it the phone or the headphones?

flipangle

macrumors regular
May 11, 2010
I've been noticing that people sound muffled when I talk to them on my new iPhone 4. I haven't had a chance to figure out whether it's my phone, my wife's phone, or the new headset that she uses, or environment factors.

ohla313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
maybe the echo could be due to the extra mic on the top of the iphone? because when I listen to music, there is no echo on the dryest sounding songs..hmm..i also tried it with different headphones and still echo. So it probably the phone.

hotoru

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2007
Headphone echo

I have the same problem. Using the stock apple corded earbuds with mic I have an echo during calls that was not present with same headset on my 3GS prior. It is bad enough to prevent such use of the headset.

kepner

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
I've used my Dr. Dre Beats (Studios) headphones to talk on the iPhone 4, and haven't noticed an echo with them. Is it only the Apple buds that you experience this with?

jsnkir

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Echo/Feedback

I have experienced this issue from day one. It's quite annoying and occurs with every pair of earbuds I own, which includes UE Triple 10s, UE Triple 5s, Vmoda Vibes, and Eymotic HF2s.

It's terrible and am hoping either apple or the jailbreak community fixes this ASAP as I cannot stand talking on it in the city at all!

doppelganger

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2005
imagine nation
I'm having a similar sort of problem with echo. It's when my iPhone 4 is hooked up to my car speaker through the headphone jack (via cassette deck). Whomever I'm talking to tells me the echo on their end is very, very bad. I used my 3G like this with absolutely no problems. Also, I've tried covering up the mic and lowering the volume on both the phone and speakers to no avail. Hope Apple has a fix!

gotjitz

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2010
found a solution

i found the solution, thought i would post it here...

my iphone was new from at&t, and out of the box i had this issue. when i would talk with the headphones in, apple provided, i would hear an echo. I found that is was due to the fact that that the input speakers on the bottom of the iphone4 were still enabled when the headphones were plugged in....this caused the echo.

I flashed the phone back to factory defaults, verson 4.1, and the issue was resolved.

So, if you have an iphone which is new from at&t (aka. the worst cell company in the universe) flash your phone to factory when you get it!!!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.