Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Well I'm kinda basically overhauling my G5 LCS so I figured, why not lets try and put a heatsink from my 1.8ghz G5 onto the quad G5 CPU since I have it out. I only have one CPU in it right now and it's actually doing pretty damn good. I set the Energy prefs to Reduced as a precaution.

If I ditch the LCS and make this a permanent setup, I will have to machine some custom brackets to hold the heatsinks to the logicboard/case. I have the G5 laid on it's side at the moment since there is no way to fasten the 1.8ghz heatsink down.

Below is a screenshot of the temps :)
This is with a constant 50% load on the CPUs as I just have it folding right now.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-07-22 at 11.33.54 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-07-22 at 11.33.54 PM.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 1,829

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
mate is that farenhiet? or celius?

also, id like to see a couple of pics to see how youve got the cpu rigged up to the fan/heatsink combo..

:)

PowerGamerX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2009
Thats great! Not the same machine, but I've managed to keep my PowerBook G4 12" a lot cooler using this:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TW852LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA2Nw&mco=MTcwMzczMjQ

Its so nice to only hear the fans rev up to 9k or so when I'm playing World of Warcraft, and not when I'm browsing Safari for an hour. It stays about 3-5 degrees cooler on that stand over using it on the desk. No more swapping out wine cooler packs :D. It barely fits though, only with the largest fitting and even then... its not perfect, but it works and looks good.

Reactions: ScreenSavers

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Actually, it means "good luck [has occurred]" or "good fortune", not "good job". It's used to convey "congratulations".

From wikipedia-
Mazel tov or mazal tov (Hebrew/Yiddish: מזל טוב, Hebrew: mazal tov; Yiddish: mazel tov; lit. "good luck [has occurred]"). The phrase is used to express "congratulations" for a happy and significant occasion or event.

I guess I was wrong, but close. I go to a Jewish Day School, but it is the summer right now, so I am not very good with remembering stuff now...

I think I may have hijacked this thread...

Roman23

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2010
r u jewish?

I know a few words myself as a friend of mine is Jewish and he taught me some words such as: Putz, shmegegi, shlemiel, and others.. and shalom of course.. Not bad for a Ukrainian Catholic, eh?

As we Jews say, Mazel Tov! (It means good job!)

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Well back on topic (I guess someone's in a time-out :p)

I got the Tygon tube today and redid the LCS setup. I got a 1L bottle of Feser One cooling liquid coming in the mail so I hope that's going to be enough. I used about 5 feet of the Tygon tubing(came with 6') and I just reused the old clamps. Tested it with about 100psi and no leaks :D.

Pictures below of the LCS with no liquid. I will be putting it on a vacuum to remove any moisture and will be easier to fill too and I will try to keep it 100% bubble/air-free.

Attachments

• IMG_0601.JPG
    IMG_0601.JPG
    875.3 KB · Views: 599
  • IMG_0602.JPG
    IMG_0602.JPG
    760.9 KB · Views: 630
  • IMG_0603.JPG
    IMG_0603.JPG
    910.1 KB · Views: 586

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Here's a picture of the 1.8ghz heatsink on one of the CPUs. There's also a picture of the support bracket for the LCS which was all removed.

I'm thinking of fabricating a full custom copper heatsink with heat pipes. I'll be making this myself or maybe buying 2 thermalright heatsinks or similar and mounting them to the plate so everything will be fit snug and tight. We shall see what would make a better setup. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0604.JPG
    IMG_0604.JPG
    765.7 KB · Views: 484
  • IMG_0605.JPG
    IMG_0605.JPG
    742.6 KB · Views: 509

unixphreak

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2009
OP,

Keep us (especially Me) posted on your progress!!! I am looking to get a Quad and have a couple of reasons to not get one so your progress will help me determine whether or not to get a Quad or a Dual-Core 2.3. The two reasons against the Quad are LCS problems that your are now dealing with which is not that big of a deal but the calibration of the sensors after the rebuild is the biggest problem I am facing. I have heard alot of horror stories concerning the Apple Calibration software thrashing the EPROMM (NVRAM) and killing the logic board.

Would you have any answers for my dilemma?

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
OP,

Keep us (especially Me) posted on your progress!!! I am looking to get a Quad and have a couple of reasons to not get one so your progress will help me determine whether or not to get a Quad or a Dual-Core 2.3. The two reasons against the Quad are LCS problems that your are now dealing with which is not that big of a deal but the calibration of the sensors after the rebuild is the biggest problem I am facing. I have heard alot of horror stories concerning the Apple Calibration software thrashing the EPROMM (NVRAM) and killing the logic board.

Would you have any answers for my dilemma?

I actually didn't have any problems with the LCS. I just wanted to do something in the case that something did happen. At least I know if it leaks, the liquid won't corrode or short out my logicboard and/or CPUs.

I'm just testing for a full air-cooled only method but the current heatsink is no way good enough to disperse enough heat that the Quad gives off if I want to run the G5 the way it should. Setting the processor to "Highest" will result the fans running at about 2500-2600 RPMs and that is just with one CPU in there. I've been looking all over the net for a good heatsink with lots of heatpipes that could I could modify to fit somehow or just create my own altogether. I ran the thermal calibration with the heatsink and didn't have any problems. You have to use ASD 2.6.3.

I've had a 2.3DC and that is a great computer. Really awesome so you will be good no matter what model you choose.

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
Hi, nice progress your having Orange, and i can understand what your saying about the temps and heat.

My Quad is soo nice compared to my 2.3DP (man, that things sounds like a damm windtunnel) where as the LCS quad is whisper quiet. I recon the LCS quad is quiter than the mac pro i used to have, (at idle anyways) get the LCS quad to do some heavy CPU work and man, all bets are off, she sounds like a 747 spooling up. :)

when you emptied the liquid from the LCS, did it have lots of crap in there?

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Hi, nice progress your having Orange, and i can understand what your saying about the temps and heat.

My Quad is soo nice compared to my 2.3DP (man, that things sounds like a damm windtunnel) where as the LCS quad is whisper quiet. I recon the LCS quad is quiter than the mac pro i used to have, (at idle anyways) get the LCS quad to do some heavy CPU work and man, all bets are off, she sounds like a 747 spooling up. :)

when you emptied the liquid from the LCS, did it have lots of crap in there?

Thanks.

Didn't notice in the liquid when I emptied it.

I managed to fill it last night since I had some free time. Let it run a few hours to try and get all the air bubbles out. I put a "T" in the line to catch any air and also for an easy spot to pour more liquid in. I noticed the air I got out the quieter it became, obviously lol. I only used about a 1/4-1/3 of the 1L bottle so I have plenty left over. It's been running all night folding and the temps low are steady.

Thinking I have to run a thermal calibration again as the last times I ran it was with the air cooled heatsink. Fans are steady at about 1800RPMs which is audible :(. We'll see how it goes in the next few days.

Will upload pics soon.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I will take better pictures as I have to remove it again to install the other processor once I find a compatible one.

Attachments

• IMG_0657.JPG
    IMG_0657.JPG
    624.6 KB · Views: 643
  • IMG_0659.JPG
    IMG_0659.JPG
    695.4 KB · Views: 665

jasonhedgepeth

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
That looks awesome! Sort of looks like the flux capacitor from Back to the Future.

Jason

Well back on topic (I guess someone's in a time-out :p)

I got the Tygon tube today and redid the LCS setup. I got a 1L bottle of Feser One cooling liquid coming in the mail so I hope that's going to be enough. I used about 5 feet of the Tygon tubing(came with 6') and I just reused the old clamps. Tested it with about 100psi and no leaks :D.

Pictures below of the LCS with no liquid. I will be putting it on a vacuum to remove any moisture and will be easier to fill too and I will try to keep it 100% bubble/air-free.

AdiPlayZ

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2019
It's been a very long time but if my memory serves me right, I used 3/8" ID 5/8" OD Tygon tubing. I used about 5 foot of it in my system.

Hi what are the size of the O-rings on the late 05 PMG5 quad single pump delphi? Just want to rebuild for the LCS don't know it it leaking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.