PDA

View Full Version : iPods selling well at Virgin Megastore

MacBytes
Nov 14, 2004, 11:24 PM
Category: Apple Hardware
Link: iPods selling well at Virgin Megastore (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041115002437)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

brap
Nov 14, 2004, 11:36 PM
Virgin Megastores here hae been selling Minis for months... Late August, perhaps eariler. Nothing to see here, move along.

Side; that site is either really poorly designed (I mean, besides the awful aesthetics), or my browser is broke.

macridah
Nov 14, 2004, 11:41 PM
i wonder how the ipod's are selling at the virgin store compared to their own so called "ipod killer" player.

backspinner
Nov 15, 2004, 03:16 AM
My browser is broken as well...

billpalmer
Nov 15, 2004, 04:19 AM
i wonder how the ipod's are selling at the virgin store compared to their own so called "ipod killer" player.

Actually, Virgin Megastore doesn't appear to be selling any Virgin MP3 players at all. Or if they are, then they're neatly tucked away somewhere, unlike the iPods which are right at the front door and are clearly being used as bait to get passersby to come in.

billpalmer
Nov 15, 2004, 04:26 AM
Virgin Megastores here hae been selling Minis for months... Late August, perhaps eariler. Nothing to see here, move along.

If you'd actually read the article (clearly you didn't), you'd have seen the part where the Megastore employee commented that they'd been selling iPods for awhile. For that matter, if you'd even properly read the headline, you'd have seen that the issue being pointed out there is that iPods are selling well at Virgin Megastores, not that Virgin Megastores are selling iPods.

Side; that site is either really poorly designed (I mean, besides the awful aesthetics),

Well, I happen to love the site's aesthetics. I might be more interested in your opinion if not for the fact that you can't even seem to read a headline properly.

or my browser is broke.

The site's been tested on all browsers, all platforms, all resolutions. I'm betting the problem is on your end (perhaps in more ways than one).

CrackedButter
Nov 15, 2004, 04:40 AM
If you'd actually read the article (clearly you didn't), you'd have seen the part where the Megastore employee commented that they'd been selling iPods for awhile. For that matter, if you'd even properly read the headline, you'd have seen that the issue being pointed out there is that iPods are selling well at Virgin Megastores, not that Virgin Megastores are selling iPods.

Well, I happen to love the site's aesthetics. I might be more interested in your opinion if not for the fact that you can't even seem to read a headline properly.

The site's been tested on all browsers, all platforms, all resolutions. I'm betting the problem is on your end (perhaps in more ways than one).

This isn't slashdot btw... no need to be so abusive towards a fellow man here.

billpalmer
Nov 15, 2004, 04:49 AM
Wait a minute now...

He incorrectly slams the article because he read the headline wrong, then slams the site design, and then falsely claims that the entire site is broken...but I'm being abusive simply by pointing this all out?

iZac
Nov 15, 2004, 05:51 AM
Virgin may know what they're doing, or at least what they WANT to, but its all falling apart from them. Firstly, they've been selling iPods in Megastores for months and months, possibly a year. Im sure this brings in a fair bit of revene from them, and will induce people to buy CDs while they're in the store.

Having lost the AAC court case, puts them in a much more weakened position, selling music online, that wont play on the most popular music player, but thats why i see their player as 'backup' plan. If they had won the case, im sure they would be happy flogging iPods and selling music online to play on them. But as it is now, they are forced to try and push their own music player, in an attempt that an 'integrated' service, all Virgin branded will lure some custom the way of their music player and digital downlaod service.

when they do start selling their player, will they sell it alongside the iPod as a more integrated option with their services? is it too much direct competition? will it make enough money for them?

iDu
Nov 15, 2004, 09:00 AM
Wait a minute now...

He incorrectly slams the article because he read the headline wrong, then slams the site design, and then falsely claims that the entire site is broken...but I'm being abusive simply by pointing this all out?

Although its technically not "broken" there's a banner on the left of the page that shoves the content way off to the right.

And try to take a little constructive criticism every now and then...

EDIT: Its that LinkShare banner

billpalmer
Nov 15, 2004, 09:43 AM
Although its technically not "broken" there's a banner on the left of the page that shoves the content way off to the right.

It does no such thing, at least not on any platform, browser or resolution that we've tested the site on. Please do share what oddball combination of platform, browser, and resolution you're using in order to get the site to malfunction, so we can take a look at it.

And try to take a little constructive criticism every now and then...

The was absolutely nothing constructive about his criticism, he clearly just wanted to play the role of the troll, so I responded in kind.

EDIT: Its that LinkShare banner

You mean the U2 iPod banner for the Apple Store? It's centered just below the site's logo, and as I said before, it displays properly in every combination of browser, platform, and resolution that we've tested it at. Please do you share the specific combination you used to manifest the malfunction.

Ugg
Nov 15, 2004, 10:03 AM
It does no such thing, at least not on any platform, browser or resolution that we've tested the site on.

Hey, take it easy, and you should have disclosed the fact that you are connected to the site on your first post. It looks fine in Safari, to me at least.

billpalmer
Nov 15, 2004, 10:11 AM
Hey, take it easy, and you should have disclosed the fact that you are connected to the site on your first post. It looks fine in Safari, to me at least.

Uh, the fact that my signature includes the site's name and slogan, coupled with the fact that the article is authored by "Bill Palmer," weren't enough of a clue for ya?

What's astounding is that someone would actually be ignorant enough to claim that a site is "broken" without providing even the slightest details as to what they're talking about.

As I've said about three times now, the site has been tested in all browser, platform, and resolution combinations that we could think of. If anyone who claims to be having such a problem would like to actually share what combination they're supposedly using, then that would be the first bit of useful information I've seen on this thread yet. It's really just common courtesy and common sense that you would post what browser, platform, and resolution you're using when claiming that a site is not displaying correctly, but I'm not too sure that there's much of either of those around these parts.

Savage Henry
Nov 15, 2004, 10:44 AM
...then that would be the first bit of useful information I've seen on this thread yet.

You said it. ..... and most of the posts seem to be yours.

Personally, the site was perfectly alive when I opened it (Win XP, Firefox 1.0, IBM Netvista, facing north-east). But the aesthetics are not exactly the most subtle I have seen.

And I agree that there is nothing new here, and I draw m'luds attention to the final paragraph of the article and hilighted the incriminating word:
But I'm seeing it as yet another iPod/iTunes competitor casting a vote of "no confidence" in its own product by jumping on the iPod/iTunes bandwagon before its own product has even officially bit the dust.

It wasn't the first time a competitor has done this, and it' won't be the last. So where is the brand new deep analytical study?

Blue Velvet
Nov 15, 2004, 11:11 AM
Well, I happen to love the site's aesthetics.

IMO, the aesthetics, readibilty and informational design are extremely poor -- on the scale of nephew art.

Are you sure you couldn't have used even more colours?

(Graphic designer with 20+ years experience throws in her 2 cents worth)

p.s. The world's premier ipod site... I don't think so.

iDu
Nov 15, 2004, 11:56 AM
<snip>

... As I've said about three times now, the site has been tested in all browser, platform, and resolution combinations that we could think of. If anyone who claims to be having such a problem would like to actually share what combination they're supposedly using, then that would be the first bit of useful information I've seen on this thread yet. It's really just common courtesy and common sense that you would post what browser, platform, and resolution you're using when claiming that a site is not displaying correctly, but I'm not too sure that there's much of either of those around these parts.

This is what I'm talking about.
Screenshot 1 (http://www.geocities.com/blackgt93/ipodgarage_site1.jpg)
Screenshot 2 (http://www.geocities.com/blackgt93/ipodgarage_site2.jpg)

That is what it looks like on my end using Firefox 1.0. Now granted, it doesn't show up like this all the time, but 4 out of 5 times I viewed it, that banner showed up and shoved everything to the right.

Resolution I'm using is 1152x864 (screenshots resized to 1024x768 for file size reasons)
Running on Windows 2000 Professional Service Pack 4

Fender2112
Nov 15, 2004, 01:30 PM
You guys scared me. I thought you were talking about the Virgin UK site. Now that is hideous.