PDA

View Full Version : iPod Photo & Video Out

hefman
Nov 15, 2004, 12:54 AM
Just upgraded to the new iPod Photo (40GB) from my third gen iPod. I am enjoying the photo capability and color screen, however I was disappointed to find out that the video output only works when displaying a photo slideshow. At all other times, the video is disabled.

I was really hoping to be able to display the menus, current song and photo thumbnails (instead of only the slideshows) on an external video screen. It seems logical to me for it to have that capability. I was planning on wiring it in to my car's navigation screen, so I could more easily navigate the menus (not while driving, of course ;)). I think the feature would also be nice to have going through a TV set, when playing music for friends.

Does anyone know if this is even possible? Should I hold out hope for a possible future firmware update (or maybe a hack)?

TIA,

--Hef

ScottDodson
Nov 15, 2004, 07:12 PM
I'm afraid it's a little early for those kind of things to be "hacked". I COULD be wrong...maybe there is some setting, or someone knows, but I'm sure with time there'll be a way.

varmit
Nov 15, 2004, 07:30 PM
This is one of those things that people wont want, but people who want to demo their stuff do. It has no real use to normal people since all they want to show up is the slideshow, not what they do to get that slide show to play.

And why the hell do you need to be looking at a damn screen when you are driving. I don't get these DVD players/Screens in the dashboard in the front seat thing.

hefman
Nov 16, 2004, 01:05 AM
This is one of those things that people wont want, but people who want to demo their stuff do. It has no real use to normal people since all they want to show up is the slideshow, not what they do to get that slide show to play.

I disagree. Why wouldn't people want the ability to scroll through the thumbnail screens on the TV while showing pictures? Better than everyone hovering over the iPod screen while trying to find "that one photo back there". And what about being able to see your playlists or displaying the current song (with album cover, I might add) on the TV, while playing music? I just don't discount it as something nobody wants. It should be a configurable feature.

And why the hell do you need to be looking at a damn screen when you are driving. I don't get these DVD players/Screens in the dashboard in the front seat thing.

Do you have a radio that displays the current radio station or CD that's playing? I'm sure you never glance at it while you are driving. You probably don't allow your passengers to look at it either. I guess you pull over on the interstate to see what you are listening to or to tune to another station or switch CDs or take a sip of coffee. If not, then you have no place to be critical of my desire to see the iPod screens. I never said I was going to watch TV on my Nav screen -- I just wanted to have the capability to view the iPod menus. I maintain it's absolutely no different than adjusting your radio or CD player or adjusting your air conditioner -- it's a glance-and-adjust thing.

Anyway, that's why I said "not while driving, of course". Having a Nav screen in my car does not make me an unsafe or inattentive driver. If I want to display my iPod menus on a large screen, I consider that a safer way to listen to my iPod in the car. Or, would you prefer that I be required to bend over and squint at the iPod screen?