PDA

View Full Version : Apps for work

watsonjm
Jul 23, 2010, 06:16 AM
Hi Guys,

Im looking for an app, or a few apps to satisfy my work needs.

Basically I need something that can create, open and edit word and excel docs and read and edit PDFs. It also needs to be able to save them all to the ipad (I think good reader compatibility will do this?)

Cheers

Jolst
Jul 23, 2010, 06:19 AM
Have you looked at the iWork suite for iPad? I'm pretty sure that Pages can open & edit .docs and Numbers will take care of .xls'.

watsonjm
Jul 23, 2010, 06:23 AM
Have you looked at the iWork suite for iPad? I'm pretty sure that Pages can open & edit .docs and Numbers will take care of .xls'.

Yeah i have. Problem is you cant save them in the ipad (as far as i know) they have to be emailed. Plus once there saved as iwork files they cant be opened in office. And, again as far as i know, they cant be saved in a compatable format.

Please feel fee to correct me.

Jolst
Jul 23, 2010, 06:32 AM
Try looking at this (http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/pages.html), especially the "Easy File Sharing" paragraph. I don't have an iPad myself, so I can't testify to the validity of this, but it seem like, if you connect your iPad and go to the Apps page in iTunes it will let you export your document as .pages, .pdf or .doc onto your computer, without having to mail the document.

watsonjm
Jul 23, 2010, 06:47 AM
Still cant save the docs on the ipad as far as i know. And number cant export to .xls or xlsx.

Jolst
Jul 23, 2010, 06:52 AM
Then I don't think I can help. As I said, I don't have an iPad, so I don't really know iPad apps, aside from the obvious/most popular ones. Hope you find an app that works for you! :-)

YOKOJP
Jul 23, 2010, 07:35 AM
Hi Guys,

Im looking for an app, or a few apps to satisfy my work needs.

Basically I need something that can create, open and edit word and excel docs and read and edit PDFs. It also needs to be able to save them all to the ipad (I think good reader compatibility will do this?)

Cheers

All you need are docs to go, good reader and drop box. Hope this helps.

watsonjm
Jul 23, 2010, 07:45 AM
All you need are docs to go, good reader and drop box. Hope this helps.

thanks.

forgive me if im being stupid but why would i need good reader and drop box?

can docs to go edit PDFs?

cheers

YOKOJP
Jul 23, 2010, 09:30 AM
thanks.

forgive me if im being stupid but why would i need good reader and drop box?

can docs to go edit PDFs?

cheers

Not sure if you can edit PDF files using Doc to go (I'll check and will get back to you). Docs to go can sync your saved files to drop box, instead of syncing it to itunes to access your files. You can access all you saved files on your Ipad. You don't need to download dropbox app (free app anyway), but made sure you have an account.

edit: made sure you get the premium version (online /cloud document support and powerpoint editing). Docs to go only lets you read PDF files. (ANYONE WHO HAS DOCTOGO PLEASE CONFIRM).