PDA

View Full Version : I need to install OS9.2 & OSX to dual boot....how??

wylie
Nov 15, 2004, 07:12 AM
i have all the discs, please help

thanks

Veldek
Nov 15, 2004, 07:39 AM
AFAIK, you can install one after the other. It doesn’t matter what you start with. After you installed both, you can select the starting volume in system preferences.

RacerX
Nov 15, 2004, 07:51 AM
i have all the discs, please help

It would be easier to help if we knew what system you have to work with. There are some systems that will never boot Mac OS 9.

Your request could be something simple... or something impossible.

More information would be helpful in figuring out which it is.

wylie
Nov 15, 2004, 07:59 AM
Sorry, am running a dual 1.25ghz G4 Powermac (which was originally dual boot 9.2 & X)

I had to buy 2 new hard drives and am now trying to re-install the OS's

but.....

i just tried to install OS 9.2 and its telling me that i cant install it?? !?!?

help

ive got all of the correct G4 system install discs etc

H&Kie
Nov 15, 2004, 08:07 AM
This is how I installed my G3 iMac to dual-boot:

- Start from OS 9 CD
- Initialise HD in two partitions using disk utility from CD
- Install OS 9 choosing one partition
- After install restart from OS X CD
- Choose other partition to install OS X

Guess that where I chose a partition you can choose one of your drives.

Maybe you 're helped this way. Sure works fine for me.

Blue Velvet
Nov 15, 2004, 08:07 AM
Why not install Classic and boot from that system folder?

We've got one of those machines at work for our ISDN & scanning and occasionally we've had to boot in 9 but less so these days.

wylie
Nov 15, 2004, 08:25 AM
i need to install OS9.2 and not classic, i still use os9 quite a bit

oh, its not letting me install OS9.2 from the cd, and in disk utility my 2 HD's arnt actaully coming up / being recognised??

could this ^^ be that i havnt formated the drives yet ? if so , how does one go about it

?

varmit
Nov 15, 2004, 08:42 AM
If you can boot from the OS 9 cd, then you should be able to use the initalizer to make your partitions. I believe its one of the tools outside of the actual installer for OS 9.

H&Kie
Nov 15, 2004, 09:00 AM
If you can boot from the OS 9 cd, then you should be able to use the initalizer to make your partitions. I believe its one of the tools outside of the actual installer for OS 9.

True. The disk utility is in a separate folder on the OS 9 install disk. It should be able to locate and initialise "lost" drives the installer itself might not see. I just don't know what this particular folder is called on "English languaged" install disks. The name should indicate it holds some kind of utility/supporting apps