Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
Hey everyone. I've coded a website in Coda, and got it took look great in preview in the program. I then checked using Safari, IE, Firefox and Chrome and all of them it looks just the way it did in the preview window. So, this is where my problem starts, I'm here at work on a Win7 machine, and went to view it, to see how it looks in Safari and noticed that my main content is jammed to the right? I've done the float left for the main content and float right for the sidebar, the sidebar looks fine, but because the main content is slammed to the right... I don't know what's going on. It looks the same in all of the browsers on the Win 7. So what I don't get is why the difference over platforms? I know it has to do with something CSS, but I'm hoping to get this figured out fast for the client. Any help is much appreciated.

Edit: If you would like to see the website and use any developer viewing tools.. or just look at it, http://www.jensensupnorth.com/adam.html

Nsutton

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2009
6 Feet Under
This is kinda off topic but some suggestions for your website. I'd put the black bar with homepage, FAQ, and contact us above the picture window. And make my the botton black bar full the same width of the top one.

sorry if my advice is un-welcomed.. I dont know about your real problem(i am not web site coder at all).

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
I don't have Safari on W7 and your site renders fine from what I can see so my only advice is remove the position: relative from .subcontent2 which is the class for your sidebar. You only need to use that when positioning elements differently from it's normal position in the flow. Float right already tells the browser to change the position so it's outside the flow (normally to the side but also down) to the right of your wrapper div.

On a side note, I agree with the other user who responded - move it to the top, not the middle. I know it's an artistic choice, but you might not have considered that many users have multiple toolbars and in combination with smaller windows they might miss some or all of your menu down that far. Also, the most valuable real estate is on the top, studies show, and if you don't make it easy for them in the first few seconds, many users will give up and navigate elsewhere. Not stifling your creativity, but there are reasons most menus are "at the top".

Just food for thought, not a prime directive or you're breaking any laws!

-jim

manueld

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
Looks like you've fixed your issue regarding the floating. The issue I only see now is that your mouseover state as well active state on the buttons is about 1px lower than the blackbar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.