Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

131732-chitika_ios_4_usage.jpg

The research arm of mobile advertising and analytics firm Chitika yesterday announced that according to data pulled from the broad range of iPhone devices accessing its network, 50% of the ad impressions on the iPhone are now coming from devices running iOS 4.
Apple's latest mobile operating system, iOS 4, is already accounting for one-half of all iPhone web traffic, according to online advertising network Chitika. In looking at over 9 million iPhone impressions across its advertising network, Chitika found that iOS 4 edged iOS 3 by eight-tenths of a percent to be the dominant OS only one month after being officially released.
Only 5% of users, however, have updated to Apple's latest iOS 4.0.1, which was released on June 15th. But that statistic may be slightly misleading, as Chitika's Dan Ruby tells us that the data was collected from June 13th through 19th, meaning that iOS 4.0.1 was not even available for a portion of the survey period.

It is also important to note that not all iPhones are even capable of running iOS 4, with the original iPhone being completely unsupported and the iPhone 3G missing support for a number of key features such as multitasking, which reduces the incentive for those owners to update.

Article Link: iOS 4 Adoption on iPhones Hits 50%

sjo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2005
The research arm of mobile advertising and analytics firm Chitika yesterday announced that according to data pulled from the broad range of iPhone devices accessing its network

Yeah because Chitika is know to produce reliable information. Eg, their Ipad tracking that indicated like double the real shipments several times and they just refused to believe that their method was dead wrong :D

Cubert

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2005
The article should read July 13th through July 19th - not June.

I know, I know - time is flying by this summer.

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
I never bothered to update my iPhone 3G to iOS4. I thought it would slow it down. Yesterday, I picked up my iPhone 4 from the Apple Store. iOS4 is great on the iPhone 4. But my iPhone 3G still hasn't been upgraded and I don't think I'll ever update it to iOS4. I'm afraid it will slow it down.

malohkan

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2008
I never bothered to update my iPhone 3G to iOS4. I thought it would slow it down. Yesterday, I picked up my iPhone 4 from the Apple Store. iOS4 is great on the iPhone 4. But my iPhone 3G still hasn't been upgraded and I don't think I'll ever update it to iOS4. I'm afraid it will slow it down.

I installed iOS4 on my 3G right away and it was great. Definitely not slower in any way, and I still got to use all of the new features besides multitasking and orientation lock. I did get an iPhone 4, but my sister is using the 3G with iOS4 every day and neither of us have noticed any problems.

OrganMusic

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2008
Chicago
P

Contacts, calendar and safari take much longer to load on my touch. The wikipedia search is cool but it takes about 5 seconds for anything I type to come up on the screen

So definite slowdowns and almost no new goodies here.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I installed iOS4 on my 3G right away and it was great. Definitely not slower in any way, and I still got to use all of the new features besides multitasking and orientation lock. I did get an iPhone 4, but my sister is using the 3G with iOS4 every day and neither of us have noticed any problems.

iOS 4 on the iPhone 3G absolutely kills it. Everything becomes incredibly slow. Apple should never have let the iPhone 3G get the 4.0 update..

mstrmac

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
EARTH
iOS 4 on the iPhone 3G absolutely kills it. Everything becomes incredibly slow. Apple should never have let the iPhone 3G get the 4.0 update..
I and others who have had this symptom on the 3G iPhone, did a set up as new phone with iOS 4.1 and since have no problems. You will want to save any pics on the camera roll.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I and others who have had this symptom on the 3G iPhone, did a set up as new phone with iOS 4.1 and since have no problems. You will want to save any pics on the camera roll.

4.1 ain't out yet, so no use telling me that.

darrenbeige

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010

Come on ... Apple got shunned for not allowing the iPhone 3G to get multitasking. If they hadn't updated it all, they would have been criticized to pieces.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Come on ... Apple got shunned for not allowing the iPhone 3G to get multitasking. If they hadn't updated it all, they would have been criticized to pieces.

So you think Apple should allow iOS 4 on the iPhone 3G, even though it cripples it beyond use? Waiting 10+ secs for an SMS to load etc etc. I downgraded my iPhone 3G back to 3.1.3 before giving it away.

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
I downgraded my iPhone 3G back to 3.1.3 before giving it away.
i already sold my 3G and upgraded to a 3GS - caught a $250 deal on craigslist.

iPhone 3G running iOS4 was worse than running 3.1.3 on my iPhone 2G.

graph is interesting, even if it's not entirely accurate - there was a stat a few years ago which stated that most people didn't know how to update their iPhone/iPod Touches. i never understood that, i haven't upgraded to 4.0.1 yet, and i'm constantly getting nagged to upgrade by iTunes.

dumell

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2008
Finland
So you think Apple should allow iOS 4 on the iPhone 3G, even though it cripples it beyond use?

That is a pointless and incorrect exaggeration. I have used iOS 4 on my 3G since the day it was released and yes, in some situations I notice a slight slowdown but not to the point that it would be annoying and certainly not "crippled beyond use". Overall I find my 3G far more usable now with folders speeding up the process of finding applications greatly and the "quick switch" feature of iOS compatible applications also speeds up the launch of many applications significantly.

hotrock3

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2009
I upgraded my 3G to 4.0 and the battery life went down a little but the speed stayed the same as far as I can tell. I stayed with that for a week or so and decided to JB it so I could see if multitasking really slowed it down that much. It did a little when I had more than 3 or 4 apps running and it did use more battery but not much in the long run so I'm sticking with 4.0 on my 3G.

ortuno2k

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2005
Hollywood, FL
I upgraded my 3G to iOS 4 and now I'm regretting having done so. At first it seemed to be somewhat faster, but a few days later after I loaded my data (contacts, music, emails), I noticed that the phone's performance went down to the floor.
Now I'm considering going back to 3.1.3.

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
Are all of you referring only to iphone 3g or are you including 3gs also? iOS4 runs beautifully on my iphone 3gs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.