PDA

View Full Version : Culture and clientele of the Apple Store SoHo

MacBytes
Nov 15, 2004, 10:57 AM
Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Culture and clientele of the Apple Store SoHo (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041115115719)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

backupdrummer
Nov 15, 2004, 12:26 PM
A fun article that further outlines Apples path for getting more computers sold.

Make it the cool thing to have.

zelmo
Nov 15, 2004, 12:47 PM
Sure, Apple is the cool computer [I mean, iPod] company, but a big part of this phenomenon is the locale of the store. Why do "cool people" show up at the Soho Apple Store? Because it is located in an area of town where "cool people" hang out.

When I go to my local Apple Store (Towson, Md.) I see the same kind of thing. It is located in an upscale mall, and the people that shop in the mall are, to a large extent, yuppies. Within 100 feet of the Apple Store there are Coach, FAO Schwartz, Williams Sonoma, and Coldwater Creek stores. There's a Bang & Olafsen store one floor down, next to the Godiva Chocolate store. This mall simply does not attract the same folk who frequent the CompUSA store (or the Target) <1 mile away. When I walk into the Apple Store, I see a lot of yuppies. I suppose that could be further evidence that Apple is trying to be viewed as an upscale brand. To me, it really only means that Apple is smart enough to place it's stores in areas where the the typical shopper has more disposeable income, and is therefore more likely to walk into the Apple Store and buy something without planning for it and torturing themselves over it for weeks in advance. Common sense mixed with good business planning.

kiwi-in-uk
Nov 15, 2004, 03:22 PM
Also presumably in the knowledge that people who frequent those (Apple store) locales may not frequent the franchised mass market outlets ... ensuring broad market coverage, from "As to Ds".

Blue Velvet
Nov 15, 2004, 03:41 PM
The new store in London is on posh-ish Regent Street. Apparently, they decided that it would be better there than on Oxford St...

In Monopoly terms: Oxford St. is one of the red ones, but Regent St. is one of those expensive green ones... and no, there's no free parking around there either.

:)