PDA

View Full Version : How to get superglue off iPhone?

Apple-NoEscape
Jul 23, 2010, 04:53 PM
I know it's stupid of me.
I was using super glue and some must of dripped on my work bench. I place my phone down without looking and bam I have super glue all over the back of my 3Gs.
Can anyone suggest a way to get this off??
:( :(

cambookpro
Jul 23, 2010, 05:00 PM
Probably not helpful, but use a case? It'll hide it. :(

Apple-NoEscape
Jul 23, 2010, 05:05 PM
Probably not helpful, but use a case? It'll hide it. :(

I have always gone naked and want to carry on like that.

I'm thinking using nail polish remover but I'm not sure if that will damage the phone.

SonoViva
Jul 23, 2010, 05:07 PM
Ugh I did this to my Blackberry one time. Self-repair gone horribly wrong. Goof-Off works wonders. Should be at any hardware store.

Apple-NoEscape
Jul 23, 2010, 05:11 PM
Ugh I did this to my Blackberry one time. Self-repair gone horribly wrong. Goof-Off works wonders. Should be at any hardware store.

Unfortunatly it is 11 at night and I really don't want to give this like 7 hours to settle. :(

DJUK
Jul 23, 2010, 05:11 PM
That happened to me with my 2G! Goo Gone worked for me

rangtang
Jul 23, 2010, 05:15 PM
Lol I thought this was a thread about The Stand and Stephen King for sec...

TB07-NJ
Jul 23, 2010, 05:17 PM
Superflue? There's a shot for that.

SophiaLee
Jul 23, 2010, 05:17 PM
Try Superflue Remover. :)

http://superglueremover.org/

Ferris23
Jul 23, 2010, 05:18 PM
Yikes, that can't be good for the paint job even if you get it off. Sorry man.

topmounter
Jul 23, 2010, 05:18 PM
Bareback iPhone gets Superflue...

I'm not sure whether we should call Norton or the CDC :p

Apple-NoEscape
Jul 23, 2010, 05:20 PM
So I'm guesing I shouldnt try nailpolish remover on it?

May have to just wait untill morning and head to a hardware store. Really dont want to leave it that long though.

RiceRacerDX
Jul 23, 2010, 05:26 PM
I understand that fire works well.

Apple-NoEscape
Jul 23, 2010, 05:27 PM
I cant find any info online about whether nail polish remover will damage the phone.
Does anyone know what the coating of the phone is?

zeeflyboy
Jul 23, 2010, 05:34 PM
nail polish remover is like battery acid for the majority of plastics... I wouldn't recommend it.

can you not carefully pick it off with your nail? The smooth surface of the plastic shouldn't allow the glue to grip all that strongly...

Apple-NoEscape
Jul 23, 2010, 05:38 PM
nail polish remover is like battery acid for the majority of plastics... I wouldn't recommend it.

can you not carefully pick it off with your nail? The smooth surface of the plastic shouldn't allow the glue to grip all that strongly...

Tried picking it off. Is stuck on strong.

:(
Ok then no nail varnish remover.
Damn it.

BigHonkingDeal
Jul 23, 2010, 05:38 PM
Since it's a glass back I would let it dry and use a razor blade?

Very careful of course......

Apple-NoEscape
Jul 23, 2010, 05:45 PM
I cant find the goof-off product at my local hardware store.

However I found this
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9254453&fh_view_size=10&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=super+glue+remover&fh_eds=%C3%9F&fh_refview=search&ts=1279924966651&isSearch=true
Does it seem like it will do the job?

isimon117
Jul 23, 2010, 05:45 PM
Since it's a glass back I would let it dry and use a razor blade?

Very careful of course......

It's not a glass back, he said it was a 3GS. Other than that he could try to use some superglue remover.

phaggard
Jul 23, 2010, 05:50 PM
I wouldn't use anything with Acetone on plastic such as fingernail polish.

Apple-NoEscape
Jul 23, 2010, 06:03 PM
I wouldn't use anything with Acetone on plastic such as fingernail polish.

Yeah i've decided against it.
Im now trying to figure out if this stuff I can get from B&Q will work.
If so I will head there first thing in the morning.

zeeflyboy
Jul 23, 2010, 06:07 PM
The loctite remover could be a good bet... just read the back of the packet carefully to see if it mentions use on plastics.

frikfrak
Jul 23, 2010, 06:15 PM
For what it's worth, I used nail polish remover on the back of my 3G to get superglue off. It worked, and no problems at all.

Apple-NoEscape
Jul 23, 2010, 06:17 PM
For what it's worth, I used nail polish remover on the back of my 3G to get superglue off. It worked, and no problems at all.

Did you water it down at all?

Also can anyone confirm whether the 3G and 3Gs used the same plastic?

The loctite remover could be a good bet... just read the back of the packet carefully to see if it mentions use on plastics.

Just wish it wasnt midnight so I could go get it now.

zeeflyboy
Jul 23, 2010, 06:18 PM

lucky, I've even seen it melt/warp a car headlight when my friend used a bit to try and get rid of some really stubborn insect marks. Incidentally goo off worked a treat for the other headlight...

To the OP - if you do use nail polish remover as the above suggestion use it very, very sparingly.

Apple-NoEscape
Jul 23, 2010, 06:20 PM
lucky, I've even seen it melt/warp a car headlight when my friend used a bit to try and get rid of some really stubborn insect marks. Incidentally goo off worked a treat for the other headlight...

To the OP - if you do use nail polish remover as the above suggestion use it very, very sparingly.

I'm still juggling the idea. May use it as a plan B if the Loctite glue remover doesnt work.
But then again I would prefer to do something sooner rather than later.

frikfrak
Jul 23, 2010, 06:22 PM
I didn't water it down. Put it on cotton balls and rubbed like hell. Took a while but got all the super glue off. black plastic was fine when I sold the phone a year later.

EDIT: 3G/s back plastic is lacquered, no?

Stngray
Jul 23, 2010, 06:24 PM
I used 2p-10 debonder which I believe is similar to the locktite glue remover to get superglue off the screen protector of my iPad. It left no marks. I would buy some proper debonder and give that a shot. The amount of time doesn't matter, the superglue is already as set as it will get. Definitely don't use acetone.

zeeflyboy
Jul 23, 2010, 06:26 PM
Well the plastic will almost certainly be the same between the 3G and the 3GS... even if it is slightly different I don't see them drastically altering the chemistry.

So if indeed this fellow did remove it using acetone then you should be good to go, but be really cautious and use as little as possible. Once acetone has wreaked it's vengeance on plastic it's not reversible. I would point out though that not all nail polish removers use acetone and the concentrations vary.

Superglue sets very quickly however, I don't think you'll find much difference between now and waiting for the morning. If you're really desperate though i imagine a 24hr tesco would have the loctite stuff.... they certainly usually have the glue so why not the remover.

Apple-NoEscape
Jul 23, 2010, 06:30 PM
Well the plastic will almost certainly be the same between the 3G and the 3GS... even if it is slightly different I don't see them drastically altering the chemistry.

So if indeed this fellow did remove it using acetone then you should be good to go, but be really cautious and use as little as possible. Once acetone has wreaked it's vengeance on plastic it's not reversible.

Superglue sets very quickly however, I don't think you'll find much difference between now and waiting for the morning. If you're really desperate though i imagine a 24hr tesco would have the loctite stuff.... they certainly usually have the glue so why not the remover.

Funny you should meantion tescos, I have one right next to me. Was just thinking of heading up there.
Cant find it on their website though.

gehrbox
Jul 23, 2010, 06:30 PM
I was using super glue and some must of dripped on my work bench. I place my phone down without looking and bam I have super glue all over the back of my 3Gs.

I dropped my 3GS a few months ago and cracked the case near the sim card. I superglued it and removed the excess superglue with pure acetone. It did not damage the finish on the plastic at all.

zeeflyboy
Jul 23, 2010, 06:37 PM
I dropped my 3GS a few months ago and cracked the case near the sim card. I superglued it and removed the excess superglue with pure acetone. It did not damage the finish on the plastic at all.

looking more and more promising that you can just use some acetone....

gehrbox
Jul 23, 2010, 06:54 PM
looking more and more promising that you can just use some acetone....

I use it all the time to get super glue off plastic parts on RC airplanes. Would be bad on foam, but most hard plastics can take it for short periods of time with no ill effects.

Apple-NoEscape
Jul 23, 2010, 06:55 PM
Well it does seem promising nail varnish remover will work.
However I am now still worried that it will eat the plastic or something.

SophiaLee
Jul 23, 2010, 06:56 PM

So if indeed this fellow did remove it using acetone then you should be good to go, but be really cautious and use as little as possible. Once acetone has wreaked it's vengeance on plastic it's not reversible. I would point out though that not all nail polish removers use acetone and the concentrations vary.

Yeah they make acetone-free nail polish remover for people with fake nails. I'd try that first.

Apple-NoEscape
Jul 23, 2010, 07:05 PM
Yeah they make acetone-free nail polish remover for people with fake nails. I'd try that first.

I'll add that to the shopping list :D

adamt56
Jul 23, 2010, 07:20 PM

You should be able to find Goof off at HD, Lowes, supermarkets etc.

If not, try rubbing it off with WD-40 on a rag . . .

Apple-NoEscape
Jul 23, 2010, 07:41 PM
You should be able to find Goof off at HD, Lowes, supermarkets etc.

If not, try rubbing it off with WD-40 on a rag . . .

I feel it may only be an american product, or not many shops stock it here unfortunatly.

Apple-NoEscape
Jul 24, 2010, 09:49 AM
Ok I went to the shop on got the glue remover.

'Loctite glue remover is suitable for the removal of super glue and many other glues from badly bonded objects, stained surfaces, fabrics and accidently bonded fingers.
Do not use on painted or varnished surfaces, not suitable for use on hard plastics, eg. ABS.'

Its that last part that is worrying me.

zeeflyboy
Jul 24, 2010, 10:01 AM
Lol, pretty sure it'll be acetone based then... in fairness it is the best stuff for dissolving superglue.

Does it have ingredients listed on the back?

from some of the above posts you should be okay using acetone, just try not to use too much and once it's removed the glue then thoroughly clean the back of the phone to make sure it's all gone

Apple-NoEscape
Jul 24, 2010, 10:11 AM
Lol, pretty sure it'll be acetone based then... in fairness it is the best stuff for dissolving superglue.

Does it have ingredients listed on the back?

from some of the above posts you should be okay using acetone, just try not to use too much and once it's removed the glue then thoroughly clean the back of the phone to make sure it's all gone

Nope, strangely the ingredients aren't anywhere on it, I always thought that was a requirement.
I may try using a tiny tiny bit of it just to see.

SophiaLee
Jul 24, 2010, 10:15 AM
Nope, strangely the ingredients aren't anywhere on it, I always thought that was a requirement.
I may try using a tiny tiny bit of it just to see.

Try it on something else that's plastic first that you don't care about if it gets ruined.

Apple-NoEscape
Jul 24, 2010, 10:25 AM
Try it on something else that's plastic first that you don't care about if it gets ruined.

Yeah I'm looking for something now. Just wish I knew what was hard plastic...

svndmvn
Jul 24, 2010, 10:27 AM
Nail Varnish remover
The silent switch on my 3gs fell one day and I glued it back, in the process I accidentally got super attack (http://www.xinamarie.com/images/AZQ-A-SUPERGLUE.jpg) stuck on the back of my iPhone, so I tried with alcohol, that didn't help so I actually had to use acetone based nail varnish remover. No damage whatsoever. Acetone could remove the paint but since the polycarbonate casing of the iPhone is painted from the inside (at least this is what it looks like, same goes for older ipods and Macbooks) this risk is non-existent.
Good luck, maybe start on a small part of you phone without getting it dipped in acetone/nail varnish remover.

adamt56
Jul 24, 2010, 10:31 AM
I feel it may only be an american product, or not many shops stock it here unfortunatly.

I see . . . I would imagine the super glue ate away the iPhone plastic.

Try the WD-40 . . I know they sell that in the UK.

Apple-NoEscape
Jul 24, 2010, 10:34 AM
Nail Varnish remover
The silent switch on my 3gs fell one day and I glued it back, in the process I accidentally got super attack (http://www.xinamarie.com/images/AZQ-A-SUPERGLUE.jpg) stuck on the back of my iPhone, so I tried with alcohol, that didn't help so I actually had to use acetone based nail varnish remover. No damage whatsoever. Acetone could remove the paint but since the polycarbonate casing of the iPhone is painted from the inside (at least this is what it looks like, same goes for older ipods and Macbooks) this risk is non-existent.
Good luck, maybe start on a small part of you phone without getting it dipped in acetone/nail varnish remover.

How exactly did you apply it? Like dab it on with tissue, rub it in etc.
And how long did you leave it for?

scaredpoet
Jul 24, 2010, 11:10 AM
Worst case scenario: if nothing esle works and you're willing to do a little disassembly...

http://cnn.cn/shop/apple-iphone-c-256_766.html

The back covers are only US$12 plus shipping.

Apple-NoEscape
Jul 24, 2010, 11:36 AM
Ok I bit the bullet and used nail varnish remover. I applied it and then scratched atbthe glue and rinse and repeat.
It worked like a charm and the plastic seems untouched. Just going to wipe it over with a baby wipe and it will be as good as new.

SophiaLee
Jul 24, 2010, 11:37 AM
Ok I bit the bullet and used nail varnish remover. I applied it and then scratched atbthe glue and rinse and repeat.
It worked like a charm and the plastic seems untouched. Just going to wipe it over with a baby wipe and it will be as good as new.

Yay! :)

zjzjn1
Jul 24, 2010, 12:07 PM
How to get super glue off the iPhone? There's an app for that too.

Glideslope
Jul 24, 2010, 01:11 PM
Yikes, that can't be good for the paint job even if you get it off. Sorry man.

Paint is on the backside of the glass. Use a small amount of Goo Gone on a Q-Tip. Immediately wipe with slightly damp micro fibre cloth. :apple:

Apple-NoEscape
Jul 24, 2010, 01:17 PM
Well I wiped it with a baby wipe, seems like it has worked.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

So if anyone ever stumbles across this thread in the future, with the same problem, then it is fine to use nail varnish remover to get super glue off your phone. Just wipe it off afterwards.

svndmvn
Jul 24, 2010, 02:10 PM
How exactly did you apply it? Like dab it on with tissue, rub it in etc.
And how long did you leave it for?

exactly, not left it on at all, it worked like magic :)
I used a q tip if I recall correctly

gehrbox
Jul 24, 2010, 04:53 PM
Well I wiped it with a baby wipe, seems like it has worked.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

So if anyone ever stumbles across this thread in the future, with the same problem, then it is fine to use nail varnish remover to get super glue off your phone. Just wipe it off afterwards.

Glad it got the job done. Acetone is your friend :D

Bill Gates
Jul 24, 2010, 05:55 PM
FYI the iPhone has an oleophobic coating on both the back and front glass; you probably stripped the coating off the back in the process of removing the superglue.

hryan4740
Jul 24, 2010, 06:08 PM
Paint is on the backside of the glass. Use a small amount of Goo Gone on a Q-Tip. Immediately wipe with slightly damp micro fibre cloth. :apple:

FYI the iPhone has an oleophobic coating on both the back and front glass; you probably stripped the coating off the back in the process of removing the superglue.

*Sigh.* The OP has a 3Gs, not a 4, therefore it's plastic and not glass.

Apple-NoEscape
Jul 26, 2010, 11:50 AM
Just remembered.
DO NOT use the super glue remover on your phone. I tried it on some plastic, it was initially clear but afterwards it is White, as if it had been burnt or something.

zeeflyboy
Jul 26, 2010, 12:28 PM
Just remembered.
DO NOT use the super glue remover on your phone. I tried it on some plastic, it was initially clear but afterwards it is White, as if it had been burnt or something.

sounds like acetone... the plastic you tried it on must have just been a different type to your iphone.

Glad you got it sorted out!