PDA

View Full Version : iPad case for someone who will drop it.

Piggie
Jul 24, 2010, 09:06 AM
I have an elderly family member who is considering an iPad.

Due to their age, strength in their hands, and possible going to sleep.

(you know how you see old people with a book dropping off the sleep and the book slide out their hands)

They probably will drop the device onto carpet.

The iPad (without a case) must be one of the most slippery designs they could have made, smooth front and back and it gets thinner at the edges, hence it's almost designed to slip away from a not too tight grip.

So, with all this in mind, what cases are out there that will totally protect the iPad from being dropped onto the floor?

This is serious, as i'm sure anyone here who had spent time around an elderly relative knows how they lose grip in their hands, and will drop books, keys, cups etc from time to time.

Can't be helped, so hopefully the iPad can be put into something to make it suitable for such a elderly person.

TraceyS/FL
Jul 24, 2010, 09:16 AM
Check the kid proof case threads in the accessories forum, there are some good choices for you!

The key will be finding the balance between protection and grip. The Otteerbox cases will be a good place to start.

fw221
Jul 24, 2010, 09:21 AM
I'm really happy with my Otterbox Defender. The size makes it easy to grasp and the rubbery outside gets rid of the slippery problem. My 3 year old hasn't dropped it yet, but I'm feeling confident that it will survive a small fall when he does.

Blakjack
Jul 24, 2010, 09:48 AM
Check out otterbox.com

Piggie
Jul 24, 2010, 10:06 AM
Thanks. I just checked out Otterbox.

Seems a possible answer.

Hate to think what it does to the already not that LOUD volume level from the speaker.

Will look at other kids cases also.

martosprint
Jul 24, 2010, 10:23 AM
Well if you really want to see an iPad case with great protection, take a look at the all leather case from Temple. I have it but it's not cheap but it really protects the iPad corners especially. Take a look at the different picture angles on their website. I asked for a senior discount and they knocked off 28 bucks so it made it a little more bearable spending that amount.

http://templebags.com/blog/all-leather-ipad-case/

Piggie
Jul 24, 2010, 10:34 AM
Thanks, I will look at those also.

I don't wish to be "cheap" but I do object to paying $50+ for some moulded foam and plastic which if it was something else in a different store would sell for $10

It's the "They've paid a lot for the product, so are suckers for being ripped off for a cheap to make case" I object to.

:)

Night Spring
Jul 24, 2010, 10:44 AM
I have the Belkin Grip Vue (http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F8N378ttCLR-APL-iPad-Grip-Case/dp/B003GQRUJE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1279985516&sr=8-1), and it's worked out very well for me. It provides a nice solid grip, and just enough padding to protect against the kind of drops that happens when the iPad slides out of people's hands onto the floor. I've dropped the iPad from the top of a table onto a tiled floor and this case prevented any damage. If your relative will be using the iPad outdoors, then a tougher case like the otterbox might be best, but if he's using it strictly indoors, then something like the Grip Vue supplemented by a screen protector may work very nicely.

Piggie
Jul 24, 2010, 10:57 AM
Thanks for this also.

You know I could almost design a case myself but have no means to make it.

I'd like to see a case which was minimalist, but had a raised edge at the front and back, around the outside of the iPad.

So on both faces you had a lip of a few mm to stop it slipping out your hands and also a little padding around the outside.

Without also being built like a tank.

Night Spring
Jul 24, 2010, 11:21 AM
I'd like to see a case which was minimalist, but had a raised edge at the front and back, around the outside of the iPad.

So on both faces you had a lip of a few mm to stop it slipping out your hands and also a little padding around the outside.

Without also being built like a tank.

Well, that's almost exactly what the grip vue is. The front has a raised edge exactly like you describe. The back is more or less flat, but it's just sticky enough to give you a solid grip. And the case is thick enough all around to provide padding, esp at the corner and edges. A lot of the other plastic/rubber "skin" type cases are thin, only protecting against scratches but not drops, but the grip vue definitely protects against drops. The only problem with it is that the holes for the headphone and docking ports are cut a little too tight, so not all connectors fit in them. I've had to shell out a few extra dollars for port extenders, but to me, this case is worth that. Having cerebral palsy leaves me open to unexpected moments of clumsiness, and the grip vue gives me confidence that my iPad will be protected against those inevitable drops.

poloponies
Jul 24, 2010, 11:24 AM
Thanks, I will look at those also.

I don't wish to be "cheap" but I do object to paying $50+ for some moulded foam and plastic which if it was something else in a different store would sell for $10

It's the "They've paid a lot for the product, so are suckers for being ripped off for a cheap to make case" I object to.

:)

Can't really have it both ways. The Otterbox company is not WalMart. They don't sell a million things that enable them to keep margins tiny. The costs of designing, tooling and manufacture (not to mention packaging, marketing, etc.) at their scale don't lend themselves to $10 pricing.

TraceyS/FL
Jul 24, 2010, 12:38 PM
Well, that's almost exactly what the grip vue is. The front has a raised edge exactly like you describe. The back is more or less flat, but it's just sticky enough to give you a solid grip. And the case is thick enough all around to provide padding, esp at the corner and edges. A lot of the other plastic/rubber "skin" type cases are thin, only protecting against scratches but not drops, but the grip vue definitely protects against drops. The only problem with it is that the holes for the headphone and docking ports are cut a little too tight, so not all connectors fit in them. I've had to shell out a few extra dollars for port extenders, but to me, this case is worth that. Having cerebral palsy leaves me open to unexpected moments of clumsiness, and the grip vue gives me confidence that my iPad will be protected against those inevitable drops.

I didn't think the grip vue seemed that protective in the 2 i've seen/touched. Glad to hear it does seem like it protects more than it appears.

However, I think i'd be apt to pick the Hard Candy Squish over it, the Wii like cushion area/design just seem to give more protection. If i didn't want to go with the Otterbox or the other one i never remember the name of (scocsh?), i'd lean towards it for a "kid proof" case (my target is kids).

http://www.hardcandycases.com/squish-skin-ipad-case.html

This picture of the clear one really shows how much it is protected. I'm probably going to end up with this one at some point when i have some extra money (hahahaha).

Ha, i was close - scosche kickback (http://www.scosche.com/products/sfID1/210/sfID2/212/productID/1923), which isn't shipping until september. But i think i'd put this in 3rd place.

Night Spring
Jul 24, 2010, 12:52 PM
Well... All those cases, including the otterbox, strikes me as overkill for the use scenario the OP indicated. His main concern was that an elderly person reading the iPad could fall asleep and drop the ipad from bed to carpet floor. For that, grip vue is enough.

Best thing, however, will be if you can get cases from a retailer with an unconditional return policy, try out several, and keep the one that works best for you.

Blakjack
Jul 24, 2010, 01:40 PM
Thanks. I just checked out Otterbox.

Seems a possible answer.

Hate to think what it does to the already not that LOUD volume level from the speaker.

Will look at other kids cases also.

Otterbox cases are dfintely not kid cases, but I guess u meant kid proof case. The speaker volume won't be reduced with otter box cases. I've never known anyone toe displeased after purchase. They are hands down the most protective cases on the market

andiwm2003
Jul 24, 2010, 02:06 PM
Otterbox sells a case and Squaretrade sells a insurance for ~90 dollar.