Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hoef

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2004
Houston, TX..... (keep walking)
To all the AE Animators out there,
I want to use an effect that requires a simulation of 10 rolling balls within a larger rolling ball but with gravity. The 10 balls will react to eachother. Similar effect as in the old bingo number selection machine (see pic, but then 2D).

How do I go about this, is there a filter/effect that I can use? I cannot imagine key framing all the ball positions (although I may have to).

Thanks for any help in this area.

Attachments

• BnCage.jpg
    BnCage.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 182

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Hoef said:
I cannot imagine key framing all the ball positions (although I may have to).

thats what animation is dude -- no lazy mans way of getting around it

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Well... good luck pal. If I was you I would hire an experienced 3D animator to do that or you can do it yourself. I have no clue about programing in AF, when you are done with your animation let us see because it would be very interesting.

Good luck.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Hoef said:
And while I am at it, I'll write a simulator using various gravity parameters and object deformations. Thanks for the tip! :rolleyes:

i don't understand the purpose of the sarcasm -- things like claymation is still done one frame at a time for movement (thinks Chicken Run)

Movies like finding Nemo are have teams of animators working on individual characters movements where they animate the different parts one frame at a time.

these are tools to help you visualize what you need --- the best things are created from scratch -- that is unless you WANT cookie cutter effects

Hoef

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2004
revenuee said:
i don't understand the purpose of the sarcasm -- things like claymation is still done one frame at a time for movement (thinks Chicken Run)

The sarcasm maybe cultural related .... Don't mean to be offensive. The bouncing balls are not really the subject of the animation but just a part of a larger total ... eg cost/benefit is small and cookie cutter would do just well here.

I will show the animation when finished.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Hoef said:
The sarcasm maybe cultural related .... Don't mean to be offensive. The bouncing balls are not really the subject of the animation but just a part of a larger total ... eg cost/benefit is small and cookie cutter would do just well here.

I will show the animation when finished.

i'll admit -- i have only been sleeping about 45 minutes a night for the last few days so i am a little over sensitive, plus i was in the mists of writing a paper on aesthetic beauty as seen by Emmanuel Kant so after the mind **** there i'm a little touchy too.

i can appreciate the what you mean about the animation and how it would save time -- unfortunately, i think your idea is a little to original, or at least to rare to be considered a popular effect, and would be incorporated into the program -- you could maybe do a search for a template of sorts ... kinda like actions for photoshop

Hoef

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2004
oaker said:
To achieve your effect I would look into using Expressions in After Effects. Here is a tutorial to get you started, there are many more on this site, just look around.

http://www.creativecow.net/show.php...es/al_khatib_talid/rose_expression/index.html

Thanks! This may actually be the way to go ....

revenuee said:
n the mists of writing a paper on aesthetic beauty as seen by Emmanuel Kant so after the mind **** there i'm a little touchy too.
No problem at all .... Just stay clear of Clement Greenberg :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.