PDA

View Full Version : G5 dual 2.5 GHz goes in sleeping mode while working

globalbeer
Nov 15, 2004, 10:18 PM
Anybody encounters this problem? The machine goes in sleeping mode while I'm typing and working on the machine. Sleeping mode = screen black, disks spinning down. By just moving the mouse, the computer jump starts and brings everything back on my screen that was there. This happens 3 times in 5 minutes or once in 3 hours. Unpredictable. We have 2 GB memory, and the apple technician claims the memory is faulty, but the hardware tests says OK.

mklos
Nov 16, 2004, 07:26 PM
The PowerMac probably has some built-in safety's so if something does malfunction then it will go to sleep to save your system. Just take the RAM out one by one and see if it fixes the problem. If you have an external HD, put Mac OS X on it and boot your PowerMac G5 off it and see if the problem still exists. If it doesn't then you have a bad installation of Mac OS X and you'll need to re-install Mac OS X.

broken_keyboard
Nov 16, 2004, 07:39 PM
It sounds like it might be overheating. I think the PowerMac will shut itself down as a self-protective measure. I'm not aware of any software setting that could cause that.

rosaget
Nov 17, 2004, 01:50 PM
Yes, I too am having the same problem with my 1.6 GHZ PowerMac G5. It has 768MB of RAM. Please help! I thought it might be an over heating problem too but the thing is sometimes it happens very soon after boot up after being off all night so the computer should be well cooled down. I would only assume the over heating to be the problem if it were only happening after extended periods of time of being on. Another thing I've noticed is if it goes to sleep and I'm not there to click my mouse (to wake it up) as soon as it goes to sleep it will shut down after about 5 seconds of being asleep. This is really annoying especially when writing long emails and having this stupid thing puss out on me and I lose everything. PLEASE HELP!

Sun Baked
Nov 17, 2004, 02:08 PM
Check the "system.log" file (i think) and see if you are getting a Thermal Runaway (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=88819)

daveL
Nov 17, 2004, 06:24 PM
As I posted in the "General" topic, Apple just released a June 2004 PM G5 firmware update. You might try it. I've applied it to my machine without incident.