Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
Hey all, did some searching and didn't find much.

If you're like me, anal and want accessories to match, then you want your case, cables, charger, headphones, etc. to all be the same color. :eek:

Yes, I'm crazy. Unlike most eBay sellers who sell white knockoff iPhone cables and accessories, I found one with all black versions of normal accessories! And cheap to boot.

Buysfun eBay Seller

Black iPhone Headphones/Headset w/ Mic
Black Wall Charger and Cable (available seperately too)
Black 3G(S) Dock

And tons of other goodies:
Line Out USB (Which I could previously only find as 3.5mm, not with USB as well)
Dock Extender
iPhone 4 Dock

All of the above are found in white as well.

Disclaimer: This is not my eBay account and I'm not advertising! LOL. I just think some of these accessories are cool. Of course some of these have been around for a long time, but the fact they're available and available in both colors (and cheap!) I think will be pretty beneficial to a lot of people.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Wonder if that black cable works with the Apple bumper? I really hate using the white cable in my car; it stands out and becomes disracting as hell against all the dark grey and black in there. Most things like that, I don't care about, but that particular one has been driving me nuts since I went to the iPhone 4. LOL

I'd also like a black cableless dock extender that actually fits the bumper. The couple I've seen on ebay and elsewhere are going to be too big.

I know, just Dremel the bumper, but I'm afraid I'll screw it up.

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
good thread, seriously

:D

I love accessories... and when I find something like this, I post it. And I don't start threads that often at all. I hope you guys find this useful.

Also found this sweet deal of a package:

Black: Headset, USB Wall Charger, Dock Cable: $8 Deal!

I just ordered that and an extra wall charger/cable for work.

Here's another good idea. What I did in the past was take apple earbud headset and replaced the earbuds with better sounding ones. Now that there's black knockoffs, I'm gonna try doing the same thing with black earbuds (as eBay ones are bound to sound crappy, but we'll see). If there's any interest, I'll do a write up. :) I also have an old write up of the white ones for those interested.

Wonder if that black cable works with the Apple bumper? I really hate using the white cable in my car; it stands out and becomes disracting as he'll against all the dark grey and black in there. Most things like that, I don't care about, but that particular one has been driving me nuts since I went to the iPhone 4. LOL

I'd also like a black cableless dock extender that actually fits the bumper. The couple I've seen on ebay and elsewhere are going to be too big.

I know, just Dremel the bumper, but I'm afraid I'll screw it up.

Unfortunately, most likely not. My friend has some white knockoff cables that do not work with the bumper. The specs on these could be different though. I'll let you guys know when I get my order in.

I think I know what you mean by the cableless dock extender. However, I think those black ones on eBay are super cheap (quality-wise), so I wouldn't mess with those. Also of note... the Sendstation dock extender does not work with the bumper either.

I'm like you, I'd rather buy a cable that fits than dremel my bumper case.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I'm like you, I'd rather buy a cable that fits than dremel my bumper case.

I figure it's still really early days yet, since we're just a month out from launch. Eventually the third party manufacturers will bring out smaller cable housings to fit the bumpers; I remember it seemed like it took forever for them to get on board with the recessed headphone jack for the original iPhone.

Good to know about the Sendstation connector, I kind of figured as much. Luckily I have one set of speakers with a universal dock. It's just my Altec Lansing set from the original iPhone that isn't adaptable and won't work with the bumper in place. Of course, that's the set with the better sound quality, but I can manage until someone comes out with an adapter that fits!

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
I figure it's still really early days yet, since we're just a month out from launch. Eventually the third party manufacturers will bring out smaller cable housings to fit the bumpers; I remember it seemed like it took forever for them to get on board with the recessed headphone jack for the original iPhone.

I agree, I'm sure something will come along! I'll definitely let you know if these fit as well. :)

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
Here's the rundown guys!

First, the USB Line Out and USB Charge cable. It charges fine and works like it's supposed to, but the audio cable is quite lacking. The sounds is audibly impeded and quite honestly sounds horrid.

Second, the headset. Also horrid. It's all about the crappy cable.

Last, the charge cable. Works perfect. It's much cheaper than Apple's option, looks the same but black... and I'm 99% sure it will work with the bumper. The fitting looks exactly the same as the white one that came with my iPhone. I've used other knock-offs that do not fit but look similar. This looks like it will fit. This charge cable even says "Designed by Apple in California" (which isn't true obviously). I'm extremely satisified with the black cable and black wall USB charger. If you wanna go black, this is a good option.

I will update tomorrow for those who care if these for sure with the bumper.

tctony

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
I bought one of those black docks. Looks sweet and 1/2 the price of the Apple dock.

PhaserFuzz

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2007
I've never understood why Apple hasn't made black accessories to match the iPhone color. Probably just to save money I suppose. I don't care enough to spend money on new ones, but this is still cool.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Here's the rundown guys!

First, the USB Line Out and USB Charge cable. It charges fine and works like it's supposed to, but the audio cable is quite lacking. The sounds is audibly impeded and quite honestly sounds horrid.

Second, the headset. Also horrid. It's all about the crappy cable.

Last, the charge cable. Works perfect. It's much cheaper than Apple's option, looks the same but black... and I'm 99% sure it will work with the bumper. The fitting looks exactly the same as the white one that came with my iPhone. I've used other knock-offs that do not fit but look similar. This looks like it will fit. This charge cable even says "Designed by Apple in California" (which isn't true obviously). I'm extremely satisified with the black cable and black wall USB charger. If you wanna go black, this is a good option.

I will update tomorrow for those who care if these for sure with the bumper.

I'm still definitely interested in knowing for certain that it works with the bumper. Every time I plug that white cable into my car charger, I wince. I've been tempted to take a black sharpie pen to it lately! LOL

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
I know you wanna know. I can give a definitive answer and picture tomorrow! But I'm holding both cables side by side... and they look identical. The dock connector does anyway.

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
Another update.

The AC charger is starting to act up like many of the other eBay items, where it will keep making the sync sound when you plug it in. Sounds like someone is plugging anf unplugging over and over. Doesn't always happen, just occasionally. I dunno.

Secondly, the cable works great. It works fine. It's really the only product by them I am impressed with.

Thirdly, they now have an iPhone 4 dock in black.

Lastly... what I know some of you were waiting for. Does the black USB cable fit the iPhone 4 bumper? The definitive answer is yes. It absolutely does. Here's some pics (please forgive the quality):

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Lastly... what I know some of you were waiting for. Does the black USB cable fit the iPhone 4 bumper? The definitive answer is yes.

Woohoo!

I missed this update somehow or I would've ordered last week. We're on our way out of town, so it'll have to wait, but I'm going to get one of these on order for my car as soon as I can.

Ironically, in doing some general cleanup, I've found half a dozen OEM white cables around here this week. I will never lack for iPhone/iPad cables again...so long as I am willing to ignore the fact that they are WHITE. LOL! At least it's only the one in the car that drives me to distraction.

Thanks again for the followup!

DanggxAmanda

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
Subscribed to this thread in a need another wall charger in the future. Plus it will match with my black bumper. Thanks :)

ckalinec

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2010
Pretty awesome stuff there. Strongly considering the Black dock and Black cable. Thanks for letting us know!

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Black charging cable arrived today! It does look just like a black version of the OEM cable. The fit on mine is just a **tiny** bit off with the bumper in place--it takes me two or three tries to snap it all the way in. It tends to want to snap in on one side or the other. But that could be the bumper rather than the cable. It's not too hard, just a bit of an annoyance.

Regardless, it works, and I can't wait to get it into the car! Thanks again!

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Just ordered a black docking station for 3.00£ shipped lol :D

Thanks for pointing these out op :)

shapsp

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2011
usually, i don't like buying from ebay. because some sellers are just quite difficult and they don't have proper numbers and support team to contact. which can be a real pain in the ass. as such, i go to online REPUTABLE vendors and get my iphone 4 cases from them. stores like dealextreme, saraoutlet and macworld are some very good shops to get the accessories and cases from. just ensure that free shipping is offered. the last thing i wanna do is pay $10 for a $5 item. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.