PDA

View Full Version : Jobs to deliver MWSF keynote speech

MacBytes
Nov 16, 2004, 09:26 AM
Category: --- Special Topics
Link: Jobs to deliver MWSF keynote speech (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041116102607)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Aaon
Nov 16, 2004, 09:31 AM
Excellent! The Keynotes with Steve are always entertaining, and hopefully he has some great new products to introduce! Glad to see that he is feeling up to the keynote.

Aaron

macridah
Nov 16, 2004, 09:37 AM
Awesome news. I'm excited cuz i'm gonna be there this year, again. The MWSF usually announces some new products ... what will it be this year? Can't wait.

wdlove
Nov 16, 2004, 09:47 AM
I'm shocked who would have thought of Steve giving the Keynote. :D

Seriously though I never had any doubts. We will get to see him in his now famous turtle neck and jeans. I'm anxious to hear more about Tiger and an actual release date.

NinjaMonkey
Nov 16, 2004, 10:02 AM
iTunes 5 and Tiger please. Is that so much to ask for?

Stella
Nov 16, 2004, 11:23 AM
Is this such a surprise, really?

He's given the keynote speech for the last few of years that I know of - why would he not?

AmigoMac
Nov 16, 2004, 11:34 AM
Santa Jobs, last year someone said, he/she was not surprised with this news, and I said "It's like when mom says: this year we will santa on X-mas" ... I've been a nice guy this year, you will get an E-mail from me with my wishlist... (It's on the way) ;)

SiliconAddict
Nov 16, 2004, 11:40 AM
Of course he has to be there. Who else is going to debut the 17" PowerBook G5? :D

Some_Big_Spoon
Nov 16, 2004, 12:05 PM
I predict 2 dozen new ipods... and as many months of delays for 2.5GHz PM's.

swissmann
Nov 16, 2004, 12:09 PM
I really like watching that Steve on stage. Especially when he announces a lot of cool new stuff.

itsa
Nov 16, 2004, 12:13 PM

Not if there is a G5 notebook to run it on! :)

wrldwzrd89
Nov 16, 2004, 12:14 PM
I have a strong feeling that we'll see iLife '05 at MWSF 2005. There's also a possibility of Tiger being released that time too - that seems unlikely to me at this point. I'm looking forward to watching the delayed QuickTime stream too, since I have QT Pro...

Doctor Q
Nov 16, 2004, 12:16 PM
Fantastic sales reports! Exciting developments! Wonderful new products! Astounding new software! Thrilling celebrity appearances! Amazing demonstrations!

I expect to see it all. In other words, same ol' same ol', and that's good news.

BornAgainMac
Nov 16, 2004, 12:21 PM
I remember when he got upset while giving a demo on hooking up a camera and it wouldn't work. He threw the camera on stage and said he couldn't do the demo. It was around 2001. He was very frustrated. I wish Apple would provide access to all keynotes online.

rog
Nov 16, 2004, 12:23 PM
Compared to recent years, there really hasn't been a whole lot of speculation about this MWSF. Maybe because everyone knows Tiger is still a ways off. monitors were recently updated as were ibooks and imacs. The PBs may get yet another miniscule G4 bump at best, and the G5 is sorta dead in the water stuck at 2.0GHz, with only a trickle of 2.5 GHz models, and still way too hot to get into a powerbook. the ipod also was recently updated. so that leaves emacs and maybe some flash based ipod. Whoopee! I have lower expectations for this MWSF than any I can remember in the past 10 years.

TMA
Nov 16, 2004, 12:27 PM
My early predictions:*
(*subject to change)

- Usual blahblah about how well the new iMac is selling, iPod is still huge, iTMS doing well in all countries.
- iLife '05
- Mac OS X Tiger - More new features shown off, provisional release date given.
- iTunes 5 - Slight GUI tweaks, Better Album art features,
- iPod Mini II - 1Gb FLASH storage. Similar form factor but smaller unit and better battery life. Retails at 129. Current iPod Mini 4Gb discontinued.
- eMac - Speed bump and updates.
- Powerbook - Now using Freescale chip.
- Powermacs - Sorry the 2.5's have been taking so long, they're now flowing freely.
- One last thing...

virus1
Nov 16, 2004, 12:30 PM
cool... remember when they stopped broadcasting live? when alicia keys told live in front of hundreds of people that her ipod wasn't working... :eek: anyone know what the price is for admission? i live about 1 hour away from san fransisco... palo alto... same as jobs

AmigoMac
Nov 16, 2004, 12:38 PM
Keynote 2.0
Appleworks 7/X
iLife 05 (one more .mac application)
and is "one more thing" ... ;)
Quoting a deleted post: BOOM! :D ;)

aricher
Nov 16, 2004, 12:45 PM
I'd venture a guess that iLife will have to have some basic home app that appeals to the whole "rest of your life" marketing campaign they have. What could it be?

GarageBand = music creation
iTunes = music playback
iPhoto = photography
iMovie = video
iDVD = photo/video delivery system

What's missing? Any ideas?

~Shard~
Nov 16, 2004, 12:47 PM
Is this such a surprise, really?

He's given the keynote speech for the last few of years that I know of - why would he not?

Oh, I don't know, perhaps something to do with his recent cancer surgery? ;) No one really knew if he would be in well enough shape to give the MWSF keynote, but this is great news indeed - Stevenotes are always great!

~Shard~
Nov 16, 2004, 12:49 PM
Of course he has to be there. Who else is going to debut the 17" PowerBook G5? :D

Oh, Jobs has to be the person to debut the 17" G5 PowerBook alright, no doubt about it, and he will - but not at MWSF... :p :cool:

virus1
Nov 16, 2004, 01:03 PM
Oh, Jobs has to be the person to debut the 17" G5 PowerBook alright, no doubt about it, and he will - but not at MWSF... :p :cool:
nah... he will.. at MWSF... maybe '06 or '07... so unfair :(

Poff
Nov 16, 2004, 01:03 PM
My predictions:

-iPod flash (yay!)
-Premature G5 powerbook announcement.

timnosenzo
Nov 16, 2004, 01:11 PM
This is good news, it's just not the same otherwise.

What's with the negative ratings? :confused: :rolleyes:

Mtn Tamale
Nov 16, 2004, 01:21 PM
Not sure if it will be done at MWSF, but I'd say signs are leading to:

iLife '05
Keynote 2
AW 7.0
iPod Photo get support for Keynote presentations
Updated Powerbooks (but by far insignificant even with a G5 as opposed to the One Last Thing...)
OS X Tiger

And...

An iPod , but a whole new direction in iPods...
Wireless, videophone using h.264/AVC on the Sprint Wireless Network.

Not kidding, watch it happen. Sprint already has a deal using all Apple Quicktime servers for wireless media. apple patented the wireless iPod design. H.264 is revolutionary. Wireless broadband on ubiquitous networks is here this year....

Add it up yourself...the next killer app.

johnnyjibbs
Nov 16, 2004, 01:23 PM
This was a given anyway. MWSF has always been keynoted by Steve Jobs, certainly in recent years, and they always announce something new there - it's the one show you can rely on, even if they are just updated Xserves. The whole "is he well enough?" argument is out of the window since he seemed on form in the recent music event with U2.

Good stuff - I look forward to this show. Expect iLife '05, probably updated Power Macs and maybe *just* maybe that elusive G5 (or dual core G4) PowerBook... or at least some sort of update.

zelmo
Nov 16, 2004, 01:34 PM
Damn glad to have Steve back for the keynote. Now if I can just talk my wife into letting me go....

My MWSF predictions

Keynote 2.0
iLife '05
2 more Jam Packs
More Tiger goodies, tentative release date announced (WWDC time frame)
iPod micro mini 2GB at $179, 5 new vibrant colors (purple, orange, aqua, blue, yellow)
one more thing...iPod mini upgraded to 6GB, still $249

Koodauw
Nov 16, 2004, 01:41 PM
It going to make so much more sense to order it after the MWSF. IF (and its a big if) a PB G5 was announced, I would just shoot myself had I just bought an iMac. I guess I will be getting a late Christmas Present.

Lancetx
Nov 16, 2004, 01:44 PM
There is no word yet of a live video feed from Apple, but recent shows have used a delayed stream instead of live broadcasting.

MWSF has always had a live QT stream as far as I remember and I know it did this year. WWDC for the past two years and the others have been the ones with the delayed stream.

GrannySmith_G5
Nov 16, 2004, 01:46 PM
This is shocking. I was expecting Gary Coleman to give the keynote. What gives?

Mord
Nov 16, 2004, 01:56 PM
i'd say updated powerbooks xserves 10.4 and emacs with maybe a small bump on the powermacs like a 2.25GHz one and the 1.8 replaced with a 2.0 2GHz to 2.5GHz is too big of a jump, as for powerbooks i'd say there probably going to go g5 theres not much elce that can happen with them the 7448 wont be out in time and the 7447A has no where to go so either a 970GX or a dedicated mobile chip.

my two pence

Trowaman
Nov 16, 2004, 02:04 PM
All right, my predictions for MWSF:

iLife '05 (version 5 of all 5 apps except Garageband (2.0))
Tiger ship date
Keynote 2.0, which will work with or be bundled with . . .
Appleworks X (7.0)
iPod Flash
Powerbook updates (dual core or low power G5)
Powermac (3.0 GHZ)

but before then, sometime later this month we might see . . .
eMac updates (not sure what, but something)
XServe (2.3 and 2.5 GHZ)

wrldwzrd89
Nov 16, 2004, 02:08 PM
i'd say updated powerbooks xserves 10.4 and emacs with maybe a small bump on the powermacs like a 2.25GHz one and the 1.8 replaced with a 2.0 2GHz to 2.5GHz is too big of a jump, as for powerbooks i'd say there probably going to go g5 theres not much elce that can happen with them the 7448 wont be out in time and the 7447A has no where to go so either a 970GX or a dedicated mobile chip.

my two pence
My counter-argument, at least as far as the PowerMac updates go, is this:
The reason the gap between the low- and mid-end and the gap between mid- and high-end are different is an inevitable, but awkward, transitionary step going from 200 MHz jumps each update to 500 MHz jumps each update. Therefore, the next PowerMac update should be 2.0 GHz low, 2.5 GHz med, 3.0 GHz high - and it won't be coming out at MWSF, since the dual 2.5 GHz PowerMacs still aren't widely available. Once that happens, and 4-6 months have passed, the PowerMacs will be updated.

Now, as far as the Powerbooks are concerned:
I agree that the PPC 7448 won't be available in significant quantities by MWSF. You're forgetting about the (rumored) 7447B, though. That chip, if it exists, will most likely be ready for MWSF if some form of the PPC G5 isn't ready yet. I also doubt that we'll be seeing the PPC 970GX anytime soon.

My gut feeling is that IBM will get these teething problems with the PowerPC G5 line fixed around the timeframe of Tiger's release - once that happens we'll be hearing much more about IBM and PowerPC development.

Zoboomafoo
Nov 16, 2004, 02:24 PM
perhaps cool, but i'll dispute the sprint part of that. if nothing else because i'm about to leave sprint for not sporting a single cell phone compatible with isync. (that i'm aware of, and that's not the palm 600)

An iPod , but a whole new direction in iPods...

Not kidding, watch it happen. Sprint already has a deal using all Apple Quicktime servers for wireless media. apple patented the wireless iPod design. H.264 is revolutionary. Wireless broadband on ubiquitous networks is here this year....

Toe
Nov 16, 2004, 02:26 PM
My predictions:

iServe - A server for your home. Just stick it in a closet and set it up. Then access all your computer services from any Mac, panel, TV, phone, PC, universal remote, etc.
iOffice - A complete Office suite that is 100% file-compatible with MS Office XP. Absolutely 100%.
iPhone - Just like an iPod, but with T-Mobile GSM service. Yeah, right.

OK... so these are just things I want to see. But they're at least plausible. Once Tiger is out, the iServe is a no-brainer.

Zoboomafoo
Nov 16, 2004, 02:26 PM
"welcome everyone. just wanted to say may 5th, 2005. have a great conference. oh one more thing, i was talking about tiger."

Tiger ship date

Toe
Nov 16, 2004, 02:28 PM
This is shocking. I was expecting Gary Coleman to give the keynote. What gives?
He couldn't reach the keyboard to show off GarageBand, so they had to go with their backup guy... Steve.

FelixDerKater
Nov 16, 2004, 02:48 PM
Does anyone else miss the old days when you could expect a load of new product announcements from Apple?

CubaTBird
Nov 16, 2004, 02:52 PM
I think it's great that Steve will be back hosting the MW:SF keynote once again as he always has in the past. In terms of new products, I am still perplexed on whether or not Tiger will be finalized and made an official product by then, of course Tiger could be one of his infamous "and one more thing" :rolleyes: In terms of iPods, I really don't think we would see a flash based iPod because it would have totally contradicted what he had said during the last keynote speech where he showed off the iPod mini. Steve criticized people wouldn't use their "$50.00 jobs" and instead put them in a drawer never to be seen again. So in essence, its up for grabs! iLife 05'? But then it would have to come out in conjunction with Tiger to make it a strong selling product. :rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes:

virividox
Nov 16, 2004, 02:56 PM
go steve!!! glad hes well enough to do a keynote! :) i hope he can surprise us

aswitcher
Nov 16, 2004, 02:58 PM
Sometime in 2005, and starting at MWSF...

I want Apple to buy Delicious Monster and incorporate that library software into iLife.

I want iPhoto to handle RAW (from at least Canon, Nikon and Sony) and to add in some more advanced photo editing features similiar to adobe photoshop elements.

I want iPhoto to handle sound files attached to photos in cameras.

I want iPhoto to handle smaller videos made with digital still cameras or I want an iPhoto like layout/interface for same in iMovie.

I want iMovie to handle 16:9. Its the future of prosumer cameras...

I want iMovie to get some more features of FCE, like the ability to add more sound tracks, and picture in picture...

I want options for much bigger tar images in iChat, Addressbook and Mail so I can actually see easily who is who (yes I wear glasses already)...

I want an iTunes app to shrink my main music library to a smaller bitrate as per the new codec so I can have bith a 320kbps archive and a mobile one at 128kbps (or was it less with the new codec...)

I want a decent firewall - maybe Tiger - interface and functions so I can stop using third party crap or fiddly and time consuming stuff. Apples are meant to be simple, and the rising threat (at least eprceived by some) suggests this needs to be improved...stateful packets, outgoign application control etc. I want alert sensitivities, attack/email origin tracing (graphically on map), good help files...

I want a decent (maybe as wallpaper) systems monitoring app, so I can see all the little things I could go do manually in unix or with third party apps, like temperatures, in/out bitrates (and history), processor speeds, ALL apps that are running (memory, history etc) - including some sort of authentication system to verify what they are doing/who they belong to...

all for now...

wrldwzrd89
Nov 16, 2004, 03:07 PM
Sometime in 2005, and starting at MWSF...
<snip>

I want an iTunes app to shrink my main music library to a smaller bitrate as per the new codec so I can have bith a 320kbps archive and a mobile one at 128kbps (or was it less with the new codec...)

<snip>
all for now...
I wouldn't worry about this. iTunes 5 will (most likely) offer HE-AAC as one of the conversion options in Importing preferences, assuming HE-AAC makes its debut in iTunes 5. I was smart, and encoded everything that I didn't download from somewhere in Apple Lossless (on an external HD) so that if I decide to change codecs later, I won't lose any quality. Odds are that I'll simply convert all my Apple Lossless files to HE-AAC (but I won't delete the originals just in case I need to change codecs again).

Toe
Nov 16, 2004, 03:14 PM
I want...

I want...

I want...

I want...

I want...

I want...

I want...

I want...

I want...

I want...

I'd be happy if Steve could produce a little less consumerism in the world...

:D

afields
Nov 16, 2004, 03:21 PM
What I hope for:

An announcement as to when Tiger ships
Powerbook update (pretty please?!? :o )
Some sort of Garageband update.
iLife '05

thecow
Nov 16, 2004, 03:52 PM
There will almost defiantly be faster xServes. When system x at va tech upgraded to xServes, they got 2.3GHz ones. That means that Apple has them now.

bootedbear
Nov 16, 2004, 03:54 PM
iTunes = music playback
iPhoto = photography
iMovie = video

Perhaps an iLife sound editor to compliment iMovie?

dcentity2000
Nov 16, 2004, 03:57 PM
My predictions:

iPod Flash at 1GB
iPod Mini to stay, maybe a slight bump
iPod replaced totally by iPod Photo, price adjusted to compensate
Possibly iPod Photo adjusted for Keynote? Possible video out via cable or bluetooth
Bluetooth for iPods
iPod downloads at wireless hotspots (games, music as charged, wallpaper?)
Powerbook minor bump (maybe speed, most probably graphics card or hard disk)
eMac bump
Tiger - MAJOR update, first release date pinned
iTunes 5 - big bump to music store, a few more fun features such as wireless sync to iPods (since Apple seems to like wireless...)
AppleWorks made worthwhile
Keynote 2 (obvious) with way more themes
Minor powermac bump
Bam!

Rich::

ASP272
Nov 16, 2004, 04:02 PM
I think it's safe to say we'll see some MacRumors predictions come true at this show. New iPods, processors, Powerbook G5 perhaps?

Schweeet! :D

Steven1621
Nov 16, 2004, 04:28 PM
how many updates can there be?

some people here are saying complete updates around the board. i would say speedbumps could happen at any time, so i wouldn't expect that. ipod flash is a definite. probably no tiger yet, but hopefully...

Doctor Q
Nov 16, 2004, 04:49 PM
MWSF has always had a live QT stream as far as I remember and I know it did this year. WWDC for the past two years and the others have been the ones with the delayed stream.And financial conference calls are not live either. Yes, based on past years, we expect that the Macworld keynote will be broadcast as a live stream.

maya
Nov 16, 2004, 05:21 PM
lets see:

iLife 05 shipping in Feb 2005
Keynote 2
PM05 : 2.0 -- 2.3 -- 2.5 Ghz with PCIe
iPod Flash
Tiger OS release in March 2005
iPod mini updated HDD
eMac updated to: 1.33 -- 1.5 Ghz G4

and last but not least:

A rabbit out of the hat a PowerBook G5 that comes with a portable air conditioner and power station :D ;)

--------------- at current --------------

The iMac G5 is very close to the PMG5 in CPU speed with the PMG5 having the 2.0 GHz as the lowest the next iMac G5 will sport a max cpu speed of 2.0 GHz with a 667 MHz FSB. :D

wrldwzrd89
Nov 16, 2004, 05:31 PM
PM05 : 2.0 -- 2.3 -- 2.5 Ghz with PCIe
Never going to happen - not at those speeds, at least. Apple never leaves the high-end unchanged, bumps the low-end, and introduces a completely new beast as the mid-end. The next PowerMac update will bring us to 3.0 GHz (2.0 -- 2.5 -- 3.0), and it won't happen at MWSF 05 - too many people that want dual 2.5 GHz PowerMac G5s haven't gotten them yet. Plus, shipping times on the Apple Store (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/71901/wo/0.0.11.1.0.6.21.1.2.1.2.0.0.1.0) aren't yet down to same business day. I guarantee you that we won't see a PowerMac update until that happens, and there will be a lag of at least 2 months.

maya
Nov 16, 2004, 06:41 PM
Never going to happen - not at those speeds, at least. Apple never leaves the high-end unchanged, bumps the low-end, and introduces a completely new beast as the mid-end. The next PowerMac update will bring us to 3.0 GHz (2.0 -- 2.5 -- 3.0), and it won't happen at MWSF 05 - too many people that want dual 2.5 GHz PowerMac G5s haven't gotten them yet. Plus, shipping times on the Apple Store (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/71901/wo/0.0.11.1.0.6.21.1.2.1.2.0.0.1.0) aren't yet down to same business day. I guarantee you that we won't see a PowerMac update until that happens, and there will be a lag of at least 2 months.

Change that date from MWSF05 to sometime March 05. :D

or

There will be a XServer update rather than the PMG5.

9hundred
Nov 16, 2004, 06:41 PM
There will be a 30inch imac G5, flash ipods, and powerbook G5. Also, half life 2 will be annonced for the Macintosh computer system as well as many other titles so there is no longer an excuse to buy a PC!

chanoc
Nov 16, 2004, 06:52 PM
I'd venture a guess that iLife will have to have some basic home app that appeals to the whole "rest of your life" marketing campaign they have. What could it be?

iTunes = music playback
iPhoto = photography
iMovie = video

Maybe Apple Works X will be bundled into iLife! :D

Mainyehc
Nov 16, 2004, 07:50 PM
From AppleInsider (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=741)

Work on the initial release of Automator continues this month, as Apple refines the application and finalize its user interface. With the most recent builds of the application, the company has removed all script actions associated with its AppleWorks office suite, but provided no explanation.

Oh yeah! If Apple releases AppleWorks X or iOffice or whatever it will be called, I'll finally be able to dump the last POS M$ software from my iMac. First, it was IE (I don't need that, I can use the old PeeCee in case of emergency ;) ), then, MSN Messenger Service (aMSN works just fine for me). Now, for the final touch, I will dump Office (I'm definitely not going to use OpenOffice, not until it's in a usable state on OS X). Wow.

Don't get me wrong, I don't feel a huge need for using Apple software only. I will keep using their software if it's the best on the market (and in fact, most of it is) or if I have no other choice (e.g. iTunes, because of my iPod). Right now I'm using FireFox and I'm preety happy with it. If Safari 2 seems compelling enough for me, then I'll use Safari 2 instead.

Anyway, a *modern* Office suite from Apple must be 100x better than the "industry standard" M$ Office. Sure, I'll have to pay for it (which [...] didn't [...] Office :D Yeah, I'm not perfect...), and if it comes from Apple and it's good, I'll gladly do so. I already intend to buy legal copies of Tiger and iLife '05 or '06 (if '05 isn't that revolutionary, I'll probably skip it)... And I'm starting to feel a strange urge to register an iTMS account, now that it's avaliable here in Portugal.

So, you see, when people feel happy about their experience with technology, they tend to be more honest, and sometimes, they tend to forget that Apple stuff is VERY pricey. Let's just hope that apart from all the innovation Apple brings us, they can also make *really good* technology widely avaliable. I'm not one of those guys who thinks that an iPod should be a social status symbol or whatever. I still feel that strange pride, because I am a bit of an "early adopter" (March 2004, 20GB 3G, which, by my country's standards, is preety early), but otherwise, I'm preety happy to know that a lot of people is now having a high-end digital music experience at a somewhat affordable price (when compared with the original iPod).

I'm hoping the same thing happens with Macs in general, because I don't sense a mass exodus of "ignorant" Windows users to the Mac platform as a threat. Mac OS X is much more intuitive than Windows, and it just makes you feel like learning while playing with it, chatting with your friends about Mac stuff (that's where the community spirit comes in), instead of the whining and crying for help which is so familiar amongst Windows users...

And you know, that "economy of scale" thing would come in handy now. So that I don't have to rob a bank or something to buy my PowerMac G6 or G7 a few years from now, when I need it. So that some poor Windows drones I know can get themselves a decent platform for basic work and fun... "The Computer for the Rest of Us", remember?? (And no, an eMac just won't cut it... sorry folks! Not even my iMac G5 1.8GHz with the stock 256MB RAM can perform decently with just a few apps opened :rolleyes: And now that I found that the 1GB RAM stick I bought a few weeks ago was defective, and had to return it and wait for a replacement, I'm going mad! :eek: )

So... Let's just hope that Steve brings us some juicy stuff in MWSF... Apple's gaining a lot of momentum, so it would be just great to see SJ premiering "Longhorn" one year ahead of it's release. :D They could even joke by saying "Longhorn: Now Shipping" or something, just like they did before when they announced it. Flash iPods, with the new codecs, would also be a nice addition to the iPod line, IMHO. And to those naysayers, they absolutely have to get this once and for all: If the iPod is intended to be a closed system, then no-one can be left out of the platform, therefore, there *must* be an iPod for every kind of music listener, even if that means having 4 or 5 different iPod models. Period.

It's not like the excessive number of Mac models offered by Apple in the mid-90's. Just take a look at other consumer electronics' offerings, like Sony's, and you'll know what I mean. There are different featured products, and different quality categories (cheap plastic case, classy aluminium case, etc.). Apple strives for superior design, so they will not be offering a "cheap looking iPod" (and we, of course, don't want that to happen either), but they still have to offer different featured products, and they are just almost there... Almost covering the full range, except for the flash market. Bring us those revolutionary codecs (hopefully much better than Sony's ATRAC), a 22 hour battery life iPod Micro, and BOOM!

And of course, it would be nice to see a 3.0GHz PM, a G5 PowerBook, etc... I'm focusing so little on those not because I'm not interested, it's just that IMHO, it's a stable market. It's not like if you could revolutionize it much more. One thing I'd like to see was IBM churning out millions of G5 chips, and Apple & Chiat/Day making an aggressive marketing campaign for the Mac platform. We're still waiting here for Apple to take advantage of that "Halo effect", how about doing it this century??

Toe
Nov 16, 2004, 08:25 PM
If Apple releases AppleWorks X or iOffice or whatever it will be called, I'll finally be able to dump the last POS M$ software from my iMac.
Right on.

BUT... for me to be able to switch my company from MS Office, I need iOffice to be 99.8% MS Office document-compatible.

zen_state
Nov 16, 2004, 08:33 PM
The iMac G5 is very close to the PMG5 in CPU speed with the PMG5 having the 2.0 GHz as the lowest the next iMac G5 will sport a max cpu speed of 2.0 GHz with a 667 MHz FSB. :D

PMG5 starts at single 1.8, then dual 1.8 before the 2.0

Mainyehc
Nov 16, 2004, 08:43 PM
Right on.

BUT... for me to be able to switch my company from MS Office, I need iOffice to be 99.8% MS Office document-compatible.

Yep, I'll probably need that too... Perhaps this is raising the bar too high, but it would be cool if iOffice would be even more compatible with both Mac OS X and Windows versions of M$ Office, than those two are with each other. It's public that there are a few glitches with some little somethings when you open files from different versions of Office. I've never come across one of those problems, but anyway...

When I say "10x better", that implies a great, killer compatibility. And as far as the fear of not finding that "great" familiar app is concerned, I think that maybe now that people are getting more Apple-aware, that may not be such a big deal anymore. Perhaps iPod owners are getting close to believe Apple if they officially state that their office version is "99,8% compatible" with M$ Office (and they better be right about it if they do so, no RDFs please!). The day people get used to alternative products like FireFox, and even Linux (as they are already hooked up to iTunes), maybe they're ready to take those little big steps. Why am I talking about this like Microsoft would discontinue Office X if Apple developed their own office suite? Because that is an unfortunate possibility. Would Apple and the Mac be "doomed"? Under the right circumstances, certainly not!

Porchland
Nov 16, 2004, 09:30 PM
Compared to recent years, there really hasn't been a whole lot of speculation about this MWSF. Maybe because everyone knows Tiger is still a ways off. monitors were recently updated as were ibooks and imacs. The PBs may get yet another miniscule G4 bump at best, and the G5 is sorta dead in the water stuck at 2.0GHz, with only a trickle of 2.5 GHz models, and still way too hot to get into a powerbook. the ipod also was recently updated. so that leaves emacs and maybe some flash based ipod. Whoopee! I have lower expectations for this MWSF than any I can remember in the past 10 years.

My early predictions:*
(*subject to change)

- Usual blahblah about how well the new iMac is selling, iPod is still huge, iTMS doing well in all countries.
- iLife '05
- Mac OS X Tiger - More new features shown off, provisional release date given.
- iTunes 5 - Slight GUI tweaks, Better Album art features,
- iPod Mini II - 1Gb FLASH storage. Similar form factor but smaller unit and better battery life. Retails at 129. Current iPod Mini 4Gb discontinued.
- eMac - Speed bump and updates.
- Powerbook - Now using Freescale chip.
- Powermacs - Sorry the 2.5's have been taking so long, they're now flowing freely.
- One last thing...

MWSF 2004 was the debut of iLife '04 and the iPod mini. For 2005, iLife '05 and the now-confirmed iPod mini/flash seem pretty likely. I'm also looking for Keynote 2.

Tiger could go either way, but if iLife '05 is going to be "optimized for Tiger," it makes sense to bring them out together.

The pro video apps -- Final Cut Pro HD, Motion, DVD Studio Pro -- have tended to have announcement dates in March and April. If the 2005 upgrades are "optimized for Tiger," then Tiger will need to be out before March/April. The fact that Tiger was heavily demo-ed at the last Steve-note makes me think it's coming in January. Why get ready, get set, go when you can just get ready then go.

Basically, if 2005 is going to be The Year of the Tiger, January is a good place to start.

What I'd like to see in iLife '05 (feel free to add on here):
* widescreen/16:9 support for iMovie and iDVD (seems obvious);
* heiarchical playlists for iTunes and iPhoto (already rumored);
* beatmatching in GarageBand (to overlay loops onto existing tracks; this isn't even in Logic Express, so I'm not holding my breath);
* better file organization in iPhoto;
* in iTMS, a 99-cent credit toward an album if you buy one track and decide to buy the whole thing;
* Dave Matthews Band, Radiohead in iTMS.

~Shard~
Nov 16, 2004, 09:45 PM
This is good news, it's just not the same otherwise.

What's with the negative ratings? :confused: :rolleyes:

You're new here, aren't you? ;) No matter how good a story is, there are always people who rate the story negative. It's best just to ignore them.... :cool:

~Shard~
Nov 16, 2004, 09:47 PM
Keynote 2.0
iLife '05
2 more Jam Packs
More Tiger goodies, tentative release date announced (WWDC time frame)
iPod micro mini 2GB at $179, 5 new vibrant colors (purple, orange, aqua, blue, yellow)
one more thing...iPod mini upgraded to 6GB, still $249

Sounds pretty reasonable - I also approve of the fact that you didn't include a G5 PowerBook announcement on your list, it made your predictions more probable... ;) :cool:

~Shard~
Nov 16, 2004, 09:50 PM
My predictions:

iPod Flash at 1GB
iPod Mini to stay, maybe a slight bump
iPod replaced totally by iPod Photo, price adjusted to compensate
Possibly iPod Photo adjusted for Keynote? Possible video out via cable or bluetooth
Bluetooth for iPods
iPod downloads at wireless hotspots (games, music as charged, wallpaper?)
Powerbook minor bump (maybe speed, most probably graphics card or hard disk)
eMac bump
Tiger - MAJOR update, first release date pinned
iTunes 5 - big bump to music store, a few more fun features such as wireless sync to iPods (since Apple seems to like wireless...)
AppleWorks made worthwhile
Keynote 2 (obvious) with way more themes
Minor powermac bump
Bam!

That's an awful lot for one expo - not gonna happen, methinks... :cool:

mattmack
Nov 16, 2004, 10:10 PM
cool... remember when they stopped broadcasting live? when alicia keys told live in front of hundreds of people that her ipod wasn't working... :eek: anyone know what the price is for admission? i live about 1 hour away from san fransisco... palo alto... same as jobsthe lowest entry that includes the keynote is about 200 dollars if you register by dec 10th http://www.macworldexpo.com/live/20/register///CC471311
I just like to go the the Expo

ClimbingTheLog
Nov 16, 2004, 11:38 PM
Don't forget the introduction of the Airport Base Station NG and cards, using 802.11n, and FireWireless peripherals, using UltraWideband.

ClimbingTheLog
Nov 17, 2004, 12:02 AM

Yep. In fact, we've seen it already. Check out the Incredibles - Mirage contacts Mr. Incredible on one. It's proportioned like an iPod/iMac, it's colored like a TiBook, and it's got rounded corners. Rounded screen corners, integrated camera, LiPolymer battery, 802.11n data. Mmmmm.

Steve likes to drop hints ahead of time and this one is grand.

aafuss1
Nov 17, 2004, 12:20 AM
Fantastic sales reports! Exciting developments! Wonderful new products! Astounding new software! Thrilling celebrity appearances! Amazing demonstrations!

I expect to see it all. In other words, same ol' same ol', and that's good news.
I'm sure these could be annouced:
iLife '05-definite (as usually it's upgraded in Jan.)
Keynote 2.0
More Tiger features demoed/release date timeframe set(perhaps any of the features that AI have reported on)

maya
Nov 17, 2004, 12:54 AM
SJ surprise us ALL. :D

Release a G5 Cube :: joking ::

devman
Nov 17, 2004, 01:26 AM

I think a 5GB iPod Mini will be announced. (but it has little interest to me)

billyboy
Nov 17, 2004, 02:47 AM
Those hinting at Appleworks X, yes I hope it comes along to take AW into the 21st century, but I cant see it being an alternative to MS Office, simply because a) Office is the king of the hill and for a good reason, ie a lot of it is really really good, and b) Apple cannot afford to upset MS totally because Office for Mac is the link to the "real world".

If they felt threatened, it would be so easy for MS to insert little niggles into compatability. There is no need for that cloud. Let MS make shedloads on their Office software for Mac for the business people, and let little people like me use a killer but scaled down Apple Office that can communicate with the Windows masses who dont get the hang of Save As RTF or PDF.

coldspot
Nov 17, 2004, 04:34 AM
Oh, I'm so anxious! Can't wait for Steve talking about iTunes for 50 minutes. :rolleyes:

wrldwzrd89
Nov 17, 2004, 04:35 AM
Those hinting at Appleworks X, yes I hope it comes along to take AW into the 21st century, but I cant see it being an alternative to MS Office, simply because a) Office is the king of the hill and for a good reason, ie a lot of it is really really good, and b) Apple cannot afford to upset MS totally because Office for Mac is the link to the "real world".

If they felt threatened, it would be so easy for MS to insert little niggles into compatability. There is no need for that cloud. Let MS make shedloads on their Office software for Mac for the business people, and let little people like me use a killer but scaled down Apple Office that can communicate with the Windows masses who dont get the hang of Save As RTF or PDF.
I couldn't care less about what happens to AppleWorks, since I don't use it. What I'd like to see from Apple is a spreadsheet application that's separate from AppleWorks so I'm not dependent on AppleWorks just for spreadsheets.

Santaduck
Nov 17, 2004, 05:23 AM
can't wait to see what SJ dishes out =D

Sol
Nov 17, 2004, 09:40 AM
Another year, another generation of Apple products. Powerbooks and eMacs need updates and there are new G4s and G5s in the horizon.

I hope a new game will be demoed with the introduction of new Macs. Doom 3, Far Cry or Half-Life 2 would do. Even a Cars game would be good to see.

Here is an idea for Apple: a GamePod for wireless multiplayer games between them and Macs. The PSP and GameboyDS both look great but they do not seem to be doing anything with PCs, unless it is to use the USB for recharge. Apple could make something like this with a hard drive instead of cartige or optical media like the others. This device could also output to the television, something that the PSP should offer, especially when you consider its movie content. This could be the VideoPod many people dream about with games, music and pictures libraries. The games could be sold online from within iTunes or even another application, like GameRanger.

The iPod photo could also use a peripheral to make it a better games platform. Imagine a four button attachment for the headphone and remote ports. If Apple is going to open the iPod for games then something like that would make it great.

maya
Nov 17, 2004, 09:53 AM

Apple might introduce an Apple Office however it will keep it maybe one or more steps behind MS Office, look at Keynote when it was first introduced it is competing with PowerPoint. On the other hand Apple Office might be on par with MS Office and with some Apple style. A spreadsheet option can be easily written into Apple Office.

Besides saving as PDF it means it can be read on all platforms. Apple has adopted the "OPEN STANDARD" with OS X and it doesn't seem to change that now. With the iTunes bit, the AAC and HE-AAC are "OPEN STANDARDS" the whole limitations of protection are enforced by the RIAA. :p

It's all in good competition and MS loves that. :D

GFLPraxis
Nov 17, 2004, 11:55 AM

+ 3 GHz PowerMac G5's and/or dual-core G4's in a PowerBook please!!

Zigster
Nov 17, 2004, 01:41 PM
Wow, Mitchell Brothers is going to see some business THAT week... :D

Stella
Nov 17, 2004, 02:06 PM
I don't think Tiger will be released at MWSF..why?

the second beta was only released last month and three months isn't really enough time ( considering the christmas holidays and other US holidays) to polish everything off. Not for a project the size of Panther.

However, one would think that iLife 05 would be optimised for Tiger... so *if* iLife is due for release in January then perhaps (a) Tiger could be released (unfortunately, too soon see above), or iLife will not be optimised for Tiger.

Too soon for G5 PB unfortunately. Lower powered G5s won't arrive for a while. 90n G5 won't do the job either :-( unless they are throttled in order to keep the heat down (17" PB... big machine.. perhaps the first to see G5).

Doctor Q
Nov 17, 2004, 03:11 PM
I don't think Tiger will be released at MWSF...

However, one would think that iLife 05 would be optimised for Tiger... so *if* iLife is due for release in January then perhaps Tiger could be released...There are three possibilities for each: they could announce that it is available, they could say nothing, or they could announce that it WILL be available -- a promise to deliver by a certain date. I'm expecting the latter.

maya
Nov 17, 2004, 04:38 PM
There are three possibilities for each: they could announce that it is available, they could say nothing, or they could announce that it WILL be available -- a promise to deliver by a certain date. I'm expecting the latter.

SJ will announce it for the media time and say it will be released late Jan early Feb. I believe they did the same for the iPod mini and iLife 04 this year (correct me if I am wrong).

The eMac will not go G5 at current it will cut into the well selling iMac line and that is not good at all. Plus I only see the eMac going G5 once the iMac has a 2.0GHz or more as the starter of the lineup and they might even cripple the eMac FSB to run at 1/3 of the CPU speed as the iMac runs at 2/3 and PM runs at 1/2 the CPU speed.

Something also shouts out that the PBG5 will run at 2/3 the cpu speed :p

and the PB line will have price cuts as the iBook line had a Christmas present this year. :D

Rev B iMac will have AE built-in and hoping for BT too :D

Porchland
Nov 17, 2004, 10:56 PM
SJ will announce it for the media time and say it will be released late Jan early Feb. I believe they did the same for the iPod mini and iLife 04 this year (correct me if I am wrong).

Though you couldn't actually GET an iPod mini until July or August unless you knew somebody who knew somebody who robbed somebody. I suspect that's why Apple will have the new iPod flash in production for two months before it's even announced. And Apple will STILL sell out the first shipments in days.

Sol
Nov 17, 2004, 11:10 PM
Though you couldn't actually GET an iPod mini until July or August unless you knew somebody who knew somebody who robbed somebody. I suspect that's why Apple will have the new iPod flash in production for two months before it's even announced. And Apple will STILL sell out the first shipments in days.

Maybe this flash iPod will have Wi-Fi. It could be used to carry an album or two and browse your iTunes library when near the Airport Express.

Snoop Doggy Dog's Huggy Bear could be the star of the commercials for this.
;)

chameeeleon
Nov 18, 2004, 07:55 AM
I'd like to see a revamp to the Aiport Express that can stream video and photos too from iPhoto, iChat AV, DVD Player, Quicktime, iMovie and iDVD. Maybe make it cube shaped and turn it into a CD/DVD player too.

As well:
- iLife '05:
- iTunes with much better album art display (auto-download it, put it beside the playback controls ala Musicmatch, and show it in mini mode), and better music video organization in the Music Store (a top 10 would be great) as well as heirarchal playlists
- iPhoto with a totally-revamped Keyword system that includes an iTunes style search box to find them, as well as a new file management system (when I give a photo a title, CHANGE the filename), and a more Keynote-style Book section
- iDVD with easy subtitling and "director's commentary" features
- iMovie with some more Final Cut Expressy features - more audio tracks, and picture-in-picutre

- Keynote 2 (with or without Apple Office)
- Flash iPod at 1GB for $149-$199
- some new Tiger features demoed (iChat AV compatibility with MSN and iCal 2 anyone?) and a March release date, and an optional bundle with iLife '05

~Shard~
Nov 18, 2004, 10:34 AM
- iPhoto ... a new file management system (when I give a photo a title, CHANGE the filename),

God yes, pleeeease! That lacking feature has annoyed me more times than I can remember.

Toe
Nov 18, 2004, 10:57 AM
Apple's going to have to intro some products before MWSF, for two reasons.

1. They'd be idiots not to try to cash in on Xmas spending by getting some new products in consumers' faces.

2. On http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ eMac, PowerBook, and Power Mac are listed as being beyond their usual update schedule. Would Apple really wait another ~60 days before updating any of these?

wdlove
Nov 18, 2004, 11:25 AM
There are three possibilities for each: they could announce that it is available, they could say nothing, or they could announce that it WILL be available -- a promise to deliver by a certain date. I'm expecting the latter.

It seems very logical that Steve will announce the release date for Tiger. That way hopefully it will be released before WWDC. Then at WWDC he might announce some hints about 10.5.

~Shard~
Nov 18, 2004, 02:53 PM
1. They'd be idiots not to try to cash in on Xmas spending by getting some new products in consumers' faces.

You mean like the G5 iMac, new iBooks and the iPod photo? :p

2. On http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ eMac, PowerBook, and Power Mac are listed as being beyond their usual update schedule. Would Apple really wait another ~60 days before updating any of these?

The PowerMac line was just updated with a single 1.8 GHz model. Apple has specfically stated that there will be no PowerBook updates until 2005, so that's a big NO. So, we're left with eMacs - I guess Apple could release an updated eMac, but that's about it from the way I see it. :cool:

maya
Nov 20, 2004, 10:03 PM

Nah, Apple will release some kewl product and only ship it to they US customers by feb-march 05, and the rest of the world mid year. :P

Apple's shipping and products short falls make me sick. They cannot keep up with the demand with ~3% market share for they computer line, imagine what would happen if they had ~6% market share. With the iPod and mini they have I believe ~70% if the portable music market share and ~92% of the portable HDD market share, seems they need to kick bozo the clown and hire someone better. :P

Anyhow if Apple remains a ~10% market share I would be happy less than 20% more than 10% that is the sweet spot.

I believe they also learned a few lessons with the CUBE and trying to play safe. Considering the iMac G5 20 inch is still seeing delays. :P

What ever happens, I look forward to the BIG Surprise come Jan 05. :D

aswitcher
Nov 20, 2004, 10:22 PM

Yeah, I really want to watch the keynote online (at least as best I can through chat channels etc) but I'll be in Dorset UK when the keynote is one, so I have to figure out a cafe or wireless point so i can login to attend "live"...

wrldwzrd89
Nov 21, 2004, 07:13 AM
Nah, Apple will release some kewl product and only ship it to they US customers by feb-march 05, and the rest of the world mid year. :P

Apple's shipping and products short falls make me sick. They cannot keep up with the demand with ~3% market share for they computer line, imagine what would happen if they had ~6% market share. With the iPod and mini they have I believe ~70% if the portable music market share and ~92% of the portable HDD market share, seems they need to kick bozo the clown and hire someone better. :P

Anyhow if Apple remains a ~10% market share I would be happy less than 20% more than 10% that is the sweet spot.

I believe they also learned a few lessons with the CUBE and trying to play safe. Considering the iMac G5 20 inch is still seeing delays. :P

If I were in charge of Apple, and I heard this comment made, I'd push the announcement date back until it matches the ship date, and push the ship date back until supplies won't be a significant problem.

vouder17
Nov 21, 2004, 01:07 PM
My predictions.....

- Powerbook Updates definetly!!!
- iLife '05
- Tiger ship date
- PowerMac updates to 3GHz

But i believe that we might see a iPod Flash before christmas pehaps next week, cos it would only make sense for apple to release a consumer product during the time of the year when most consumer products are being bought. it would make only logical sense, but then again apple has been known to surprise us with there lack of logic???

Peace
DjVoTeZ

~Shard~
Nov 21, 2004, 01:25 PM
My predictions.....

Announced perhaps, definitely not demoed and "now shipping".

- iLife '05
Yep, I'm hoping so!

- Tiger ship date
Possibly - Jobs may announce the Tiger ship date, indicating it's 3-4 months away...
Doubtful, but it might be the "one more thing"....

aswitcher
Nov 21, 2004, 03:44 PM
My predictions.....

- iLife '05
- Tiger ship date

Peace
DjVoTeZ

No PB update...

iLife 05' - I really hope so...even better if they offer a discount/rebate to .Mac owners as a cross incentive.

Tiger...no...more demos, maybe some cool new stuff...

PM 3GHz...no

~Shard~
Nov 21, 2004, 08:08 PM
No PB update...

iLife 05' - I really hope so...even better if they offer a discount/rebate to .Mac owners as a cross incentive.

Tiger...no...more demos, maybe some cool new stuff...

PM 3GHz...no

Thanks for basically seconding my post, aswitcher. ;)

WankerWeasel
Dec 10, 2004, 11:43 AM
The Keynote should be good. I'll be there with a bunch of friends from all over (including some Apple employees). I've already heard about some of what will be anounced at the Keynote. Lots of cool new stuff. :D

wdlove
Dec 10, 2004, 04:52 PM
The Keynote should be good. I'll be there with a bunch of friends from all over (including some Apple employees). I've already heard about some of what will be announced at the Keynote. Lots of cool new stuff. :D

Are you free to share what you know? If the Keynote is sent live via Satellite, then I plan to be at the CambridgeSide Galleria again this year. It's a lot of fun to view among other Mac people.

Scott Swain
Dec 18, 2004, 09:59 PM
I think this is what's coming based off of my research:

Powerbook G5 or Dual Processor G4 (Have to do something)
Tiger 10.5 (Release of iLife)
iLife 05 (Built for Tiger)
eMac Upgrades (Must Do)
Keynote 2.0 (Already been Showed)

and the newest member to the "i" family

drum rollllllll please....

"iPad" = TABLET PC "The Wireless Device for Your Life"
Base Specs:
- G4 Processor 1.2ish GHZ
- OSX Software
- Firewire
- USB 2.0
- Ethernet
- Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard (Accessory)
- Wireless Video
- 5 hr battery
- 8" - 12" screen
- 0.6" thin
- And some "CRAZY GADGETS" that only Apple is capable of coming up
with (perhaps first to see afforadbel wireless video in a hand held
computer)

We will see some industry firsts here, Apple will take advantage of the Tablet PC market based off of sales, and show the industry a first (for new techology)!!! like with the iPod) this is everyones answer to the video iPod, and wireless capabilities for it... too much technology to fit into a tiny iPod shell... they need a nice compact mini iBook for these new features!!!

I do not think they will add a flash ipod just yet, they are already doing too well with the iPod, they will run with it for a few more months, then once they have EVERYONE hooked, then they will drop the "must have" ipod flash!!

~Shard~
Dec 18, 2004, 10:35 PM
I think this is what's coming based off of my research:

Powerbook G5 (Have no other choice)

No, Apple does have a choice - wait until the PowerBook G5 is actually ready before releasing it. :p :cool: G5 PBs will NOT be released at MWSF and by the time consumers actually have their hands on them, it will be closer to summer 2005. Apple will release these beasts when they are good and ready, and in the meantime, the likelihood of seeing a dual-core G4 PowerBook is greater.

Tiger 10.5 (Release of iLife)

Once again, nope. The firm release date of Tiger might be announced at MWSF at best, but it will definitely not be released. I expect the earliest release of Tiger to be March, probably later.

iLife 05 (Built for Tiger)
eMac Upgrades (Must Do)
Keynote 2.0 (Already been Showed)

These I can agree with, however I don't know if iLife '05 will necessarily be "built for Tiger" - I could see it having some functionality would would take advantage of Tiger though...

A TABLET PC ("the wireless device for your life" - my guess to what it is going to be called = "iPad")

Doubtful, but I suppose anything is possible with Apple. All I know is that we've had tablet PCs in our R&D lab for a few years now, and the technology just isn't there yet to make something like this work in attracting consumer interest and establishing a customer base. Creating the tools for the market is one thing, but even more important than that is timing the market and knowing when to release products. Just look at the fate of the Newton as a result of ignoring this fact. Plus, "iPad" is too similar to "iPod", simple Marketing will tell you that this wouldn't be a smart branding scheme. ;)

I do not think they will add a flash ipod just yet, they are already doing too well with the iPod, they will run with it for a few more months, then once they have EVERYONE hooked, then they will drop the "must have" ipod flash!!

This is one rumor that I think does have some substance to it, so I'll disagree with you again and say that we very may well see the iPod flash at MWSF. The majority of people said Apple was already doing too well with the iPod before they released the mini, and look what happened, so I don't think this is a viable excuse for not releasing the iPod flash. Perhaps we won't see it for a couple months, but I would not be surprised at all for it to make its debut at MWSF. :cool:

Scott Swain
Dec 18, 2004, 11:04 PM
We will have to see about the items I listed:

however, when Apple went to the Mini, they were going after a totally different market, why would they introduce a flash iPod when they already have that market? Might be interchangable, however the price of flash memory compared to the price of a mini is not worth going with a flash player... plus with flash memory there are levies on blank Media, with the iPod's there is no levy (well in Canada anyways)....

~Shard~
Dec 18, 2004, 11:13 PM
We will have to see about the items I listed:

As I pointed out above, indeed... :p ;)

however, when Apple went to the Mini, they were going after a totally different market, why would they introduce a flash iPod when they already have that market?

Because Apple doesn't already have that market you are referring to - that market is one consisting of cheap flash-based players - how many flash-based players does Apple have? Exactly. The mini was great at targeting people who had lower requirements in their players and didn't require an iPod, however the iPod flash would target a different market than the iPod mini. Smaller, flash-based, cheaper. Apple does not already have the flash-based market, as they have no device competing in this space. :cool:

Might be interchangable, however the price of flash memory compared to the price of a mini is not worth going with a flash player...

Sounds like a similar argument people made about the iPod mini when it came out - "the price of the iPod mini is not worth it, for only $50 more I can get a 15 GB iPod! Why would I buy a iPod mini?!?" The iPod mini promptly completely sold out for months, and still remains a hot, in demand item. We'll see.... :cool:

Scott Swain
Dec 19, 2004, 12:24 PM
If you look back to the keynote where the mini was introduced, SJ indicates that they are going after the flash memory mp3 player market with the mini, because for an extra $50 dollars, a mini got you a hardrive 8-16 times the size of the best selling flash players... and the reason why people said, "for an extra $50 you can get a 15gig iPod..." well, you could at that time, but they were getting rid of that model to make room for the mini and the 20gig model (which is what really took over the market)... you see.. it all makes sense... Apple is genius when it comes to pricing strategies.... I beleive they may increase the size of the mini to 5 gigs... but that's the only upgrade that we are going to see with regards to the ipod family... with the new release of the iPod Photo, and a bump in the mini's hd size to 5gig at the MWSF... there is no need for a new iPod... this is what I think anyways... and besides no matter what everyone on this forum says is coming... no one on here knows for sure whats coming!!!

But on a side note, I think its time for the Apple tablet... The reason why I believe Apple could not make things happen with the Newton is that they did not have the #1 CEO in the world running the show for them... for a breif history lesson on the Newton, I recommend this site (http://www.msu.edu/~luckie/hallofame.htm) as it talks about a the History of the Newton... He was too busy creating the World's best 3D Rendering program (Renderman 3D) to create the World's best animated films... once he sold Pixar to Disney, he came back... was featured in the Guiness Book of World Records twice in one year (once for being the lowest paid CEO @ $1 per year -along with some stock options hehe and the other with introducing the iMac (blueberry), being the shortest computer manual with 6 steps)... If you look back at Apple's stock, things began to change once Jobs came back to Apple... since he has been back he and his team have introduced, the iMac, iPod, G4 Powerbook, wicked software, Airport Express and other awesome products... The Tablet is their next stepping stone...

I beleive Apple is going to come out with something huuuge if they are not ready to produce a serious G5 laptop and 3.0 Ghz G5's... and my answer to that is a Tablet that the world has yet to see... Wireless capabilities faaaaar beyond our expectations!!! as for the name... i came up with "iPad" while i was typing the message, no matter what name Apple comes up with, it will sell anyways!!!! it can be called i**** and it would still sell !!!

So, this repsonse if for ~Shard~... perhaps you should go back and watch last year's Keynote when the mini was introduced and pay special attention to the part where Job's makes it clear that they are going after the Flash Market...

Also a question for you... What exaclty do you do in your "R&D lab" :confused: :cool:

Peace Out

~Shard~
Dec 19, 2004, 12:54 PM
as for the name... i came up with "iPad" while i was typing the message, no matter what name Apple comes up with, it will sell anyways!!!! it can be called <edited> and it would still sell !!!

Swearing is not permitted on MacRumors, your post has been reported to the Mods.

So, this repsonse if for ~Shard~... perhaps you should go back and watch last year's Keynote when the mini was introduced and pay special attention to the part where Job's makes it clear that they are going after the Flash Market...

I remember that Keynote, and I do remember Jobs making those comments. Still though, a 4GB HD player is not the ideal answer to the cheaper, flash-based, smaller capacity players - I think Apple could do a little better, and perhaps introducing an iPod flash is how they will accomplish this. As you say though, no one knows for sure. It just wouldn't surprise me, that's all.

Also a question for you... What exaclty do you do in your "R&D lab" :confused: :cool:

I work for the largest Telecom/ISP out here, and the most innovative and leading-edge one in Canada. Personally, I only spend a fraction of my time down there, as it's not the group I specifically work in, but in general, we play with all sorts of toys, basically all the maturing future technologies that are out there, and see what has potential and what we can incorporate and develop into the next generation of technology and multimedia services. It's where we developed our Digital Interactive Video services (the only one like it in the entire world), a lot of VoIP initiatives, NGN (Next Generation Networks), home networking services, wireless trials, yadda yadda. Currently we're doing a lot of HDTV trials using WM9 and H.264 to compress HDTV for transmission over DSL - that's still about a year away though... Anyway, I could go on and on, but in general we have all sorts of crazy crap there and it's a fun place to play in from time to time. :cool:

Scott Swain
Dec 19, 2004, 01:34 PM
~Shar~... Do you guys look at anything that Apple is working on in your "R&D" lab, or just the rest of the ICT world?... one must remember that Apple does their own stuff... unless they sub it out... So just because your company is not working on "Apples" latest gadgets, does not mean that they are not going to pursue them... as well you are a Canadian company correct? The stuff you work on and the stuff Apple works on may not be at the same level... Most of their stuff goes to Taiwan and China for production or engineering... for example about 6 months ago a company out of Taiwan was given a contract to design a wireless portable display for Apple... (one which could be used for a wireless tablet perhaps)... So the sky is the limit when it comes to the ICT world... Other such hints for a Tablet is the Patent on a design that was made in Feb... so lets keep our fingers crossed!!!

~Shard~
Dec 19, 2004, 02:05 PM
~Shar~... Do you guys look at anything that Apple is working on in your "R&D" lab, or just the rest of the ICT world?...

<snip>

First of all, it's ~Shard~, and second of all, you might want to use the Quote button for replies to people's posts, it gets a lot less confusing and improves readability that way.

Lastly, I think you misunderstand the purpose of our R&D lab, so let me repeat myself. We do not develop new "toys" from scratch, rather modify and apply new and emerging technologies and exploit their possibilities for future services, etc. which our company can offer. Also, we are an ISP/Telco, not some manufacturing and design company, perhaps you missed that part of my post as well. Obviously we have a specific interest and focus with respect to these products as a result. I suggest you re-read my first explanation. Once you do, you'll see that the rest of your comments are somewhat irrelevant. I was simply initially stating that we have played with a lot of tablet technology in the lab for quite a few years and have not seen anything too impressive. Obviously Apple would develop their own version and adaption of this technology, and no doubt improve on current industry offerings, but I do not know if factors such as marketing timing, demand, etc. are favorable right now. Once again, look at the Newton...

I also see the Mods edited the swearing in your previous post. As I stated, please refrain from using such language on MacRumors or you will be warned and ultimately banned. :cool:

Scott Swain
Dec 19, 2004, 03:53 PM
Alright I did not know you were a police officer for the site... lol... good discussion though... this is my first time ever using this site... so I am not familiar with quoting techniques yet... it's exam time for me and I have no time to learn all the tricks that go along with these forums...

~Shard~
Dec 19, 2004, 04:33 PM
Alright I did not know you were a police officer for the site... lol... good discussion though... this is my first time ever using this site... so I am not familiar with quoting techniques yet... it's exam time for me and I have no time to learn all the tricks that go along with these forums...

Actually, not really "police officer", I think "bastard" would be a more accurate term - it's nothing personal, you'll get to know me better once you've been on the forums for a while... ;) :cool:

As for the quote button, it's just at the bottom of every post in a thread, on the lower right-hand side. Hit it, and the message you are wanting to reference will be quoted in your reply, as I have done with yours.

Since you're new to the site, you may also want to check out the FAQ thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=37092) as well as the site FAQ (http://forums.macrumors.com/faq.php?) topics.