PDA

View Full Version : Apple's latest development iPod Photo seems unfocused

MacBytes
Nov 16, 2004, 01:02 PM
Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Apple\'s latest development iPod Photo seems unfocused (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041116140244)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

gregnacu
Nov 16, 2004, 02:14 PM
Is it just me, or could that guy be best described as "a dumb oaf?"

I think displaying photos, the TV link, the slideshows to music, and the album artwork, as well as a colour screen for a nicer interface, like todo lists and solitaire in colour was a logical and well thought out progression for the iPod to make. The price is a tad high now, but 6-8 months from now I'll probably be buying an iPod with a colour screen.

backupdrummer
Nov 16, 2004, 04:14 PM
Very closed minded in his take but he is a columnist so thats to be expected.

I disagree with his take that people dont want to show off there pictures. I love showing people my pics and think the iPod photo is a pretty good solution but not perfect.

I do agree that the size of the size of hte images on the iPod photo will be tough on some older peoples eyes, but there is only so much one can do about that.

Lastly He annoyed the crap out of me because he refers to the iPod photo by iPhoto.

stoid
Nov 16, 2004, 04:33 PM
what makes the chrome-and- white audio player an icon: You can set it and forget it. Ignore it. The iPod will entertain you, serenade you and requires no attention till the battery punks out.

WHAT?!? Any HD based mp3 player can do that. The Dell DJ, the Sony NW-HD1, any old piece of schlock. What makes the iPod so successful is that it does it seamlessly, simply, elegantly. THAT is why the iPod is a success. The iPod is simply the best designed device. Now it brings that same simplicity and power and elegance to photos.

kettle
Nov 16, 2004, 05:02 PM
Although I could really use the photo iPod, much in the way I reload a flash card and show a compendium of pictures to the family on my Canon EOS, the EOS is a camera not an organiser, the same can be said for iPods.

The iPod is successful for playing music discreetly as you get on with doing the rest of your life, the moment you want to use it as a photo projector, there are compromises, not big ones but enough to make a simple device seem "unfocused".

The same for video playing iPods, they'd be good, but that's not what makes an iPod successful. People don't watch videos on small screens or follow story lines while negotiating other parts of their life.

If you have the time to watch a film, rent it or go to the cinema.

nagromme
Nov 16, 2004, 05:22 PM
The iPod's not a photo organizer... nor is it a music organizer.

It DOES do a very good job of PRESENTING your music--and your photos--or both!

That's the focus, SHOWING your photos, and it does that job well.

macridah
Nov 16, 2004, 07:26 PM
another cool thing I plan to use the iPod photo for is to connect to my tv and show a slide show with music.

x86isslow
Nov 16, 2004, 09:53 PM
WHAT?!? Any HD based mp3 player can do that. The Dell DJ, the Sony NW-HD1, any old piece of schlock. What makes the iPod so successful is that it does it seamlessly, simply, elegantly. THAT is why the iPod is a success. The iPod is simply the best designed device. Now it brings that same simplicity and power and elegance to photos.

What he was referring, imo, is that you can operate an iPod without looking at it, its that simple. Whereas the "schlock" that you named come with a perplexing os and controls of equal difficulty.

No need to get on his case because he isn't singing the glories of the iPod Photo. :rolleyes:

Santaduck
Nov 16, 2004, 10:20 PM
it's about focus, and paving the road to creating future markets and sales.

I almost agree with him, except for the slim possibility of Keynote 2 working w/the iPod Photo.

macidiot
Nov 17, 2004, 12:02 AM
What makes the iPod great is that you don't have to have an engineering degree to get it to play a song. Competing products seem to come with the software version of reverse polish notation. The only time I really needed to reference the manual was to figure out how to get the album artwork on to the iPod. Of course, the problem was me, I hadn't upgraded to the latest version of iTunes yet. :rolleyes:

As for the iPod photo, the 60GB capacity is a selling point by itself. Now its big enough to hold my music collection and my home directory. Frankly, the photo capabilities aren't that big of a deal, at least to me. But the color screen, larger capacity, longer battery life are all significant improvements. And displaying album art is way cool. However, its true, the photo iPods are expensive. But that could be said of all iPods.

nagromme
Nov 17, 2004, 03:04 AM
iPods aren't actually expensive among players of similar capacity. (Nor are they the cheapest, of course.)

Lord Bodak
Nov 17, 2004, 07:32 AM
What he's missing is (a) people _were_ asking for the feature and (b) there doesn't seem to be any downside to it even if you don't want the photo feature. They managed to include a color screen and a larger hard drive and actually _improved_ battery life. How is this a negative just because he doesn't see a use for the photo feature in particular?