Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guyducati

macrumors regular
Original poster
I am looking for a slide show feature on my home page, as well as a photo browser, but there is a catch. I DON'T WANT FLASH. Is there a good way to do this without flash? Please recommend a plugin/program whatever. Thanks.

Oh, BTW, I use iWeb...but I'm kinda on the fence, I want to learn how to design websites a more "professional" way, but I just don't know how to start...

guyducati

macrumors regular
Original poster
Google "jquery slideshow" and you'll get many, many good options.

Ok, thank you very much...I really like the Nivo Slider that I found (http://nivo.dev7studios.com/) ...Question though, how hard is it to use JQuery? Like I said, I want to get into actual website coding, so being that I've had no experience, is this something I could do easily? Thanks.

Flash SWT

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2009
Houston, TX
Ok, thank you very much...I really like the Nivo Slider that I found (http://nivo.dev7studios.com/) ...Question though, how hard is it to use JQuery? Like I said, I want to get into actual website coding, so being that I've had no experience, is this something I could do easily? Thanks.

It really isn't that hard. It'll maybe take you one full business day to play around with it, view the source of existing sites and create some examples to figure it out.

UTclassof89

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
The biggest challenge is adjusting the CSS of whichever example you find, to match your intended layout, so you need to be pretty comfortable with CSS.

The javascript itself might only have a couple of variables to adjust.

manueld

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
most jquery plugins will have instructions on how to use their plugin. It's fairly easy to customize. Just read through the instructions and go from there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.