Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VictoryHighway

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
Hopedale, MA
Hello Group,
I've been having trouble connecting my iPod touch (2nd gen) to commercial hot spots (AT&T, local mall, etc.) that have a redirect/login page ever since I've upgraded to iOS 4. The iPod appears to connect, and then as soon as I launch Safari to perform the actual login, the connection cuts off even though it appears that I have full signal. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, is there anything I can do to fix it (or are we at Apple's mercy)?

Regards,
Geoffrey

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
Gentlemen,
I've been having trouble connecting my iPod touch (2nd gen) to commercial hot spots (AT&T, local mall, etc.) that have a redirect/login page ever since I've upgraded to iOS 4. The iPod appears to connect, and then as soon as I launch Safari to perform the actual login, the connection cuts off even though it appears that I have full signal. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, is there anything I can do to fix it (or are we at Apple's mercy)?

Regards,
Geoffrey
Please change your post so that it is not referring to men only, thank you.

You can try putting it in DFU mode and then try to restore it.

SoraLimit

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2010
Please change your post so that it is not referring to men only, thank you.

You can try putting it in DFU mode and then try to restore it.

DFU won't do anything. That's just setting the device so it can update, which iTunes does automatically when you want to update. It won't help with the wireless issue...

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
DFU won't do anything. That's just setting the device so it can update, which iTunes does automatically when you want to update. It won't help with the wireless issue...
DFU is not strictly for updates, regardless of its name.

SoraLimit

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2010
DFU is not strictly for updates, regardless of its name.

From http://thebigboss.org/guides/dfu-mode

"DFU (Device Firmware upgrade) mode is not the same as restore mode. DFU mode bypasses the current OS installed and allows you to upgrade or downgrade your OS. If you are getting errors trying to restore in iTunes, DFU mode is very likely for you."

It won't fix wireless connections, it's only for restoring problems.

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
It won't fix wireless connections, it's only for restoring problems.
But a restore might fix the wireless connection problems, and if hes having trouble with restoring then he can put it in DFU mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.