Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wylie

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2004
ok, after having mad troubles getting the comp to recognise my new HD's.....im now faced with a new problem

each time i go to install OS9.2 (using the install CD) , it keeps throwing up an error, saying 'this program cannot be run on this computer'

and i want to know why

(ps, it is a dual-boot machine....ive been running OS9 & X on it for a good couple of years)

Any ideas?

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us
You probably needed to install OS 9 first (I'm assuming you installed OSX already). I am having a similar issue with my PBook, check out this thread here.

Also, make sure you have OS9 drivers installed on the HD.

-Tim

wylie

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2004
all this talk of drivers?

so it may be that the OS9 cd im trying to install from, does not have the correct drivers, which is why it wont let me run the install program?

although, i swear i clicked install os9 driver check box when in disk utility?

:confused:

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
kingjr3 said:

Did you bother reading this? You can't install from the CD, you have to use the OS X install cds and choose to install Classic support. This effectively creates an OS 9 system folder that you can then boot into OS 9 by changing the startup disk in System Preference. To move the System folder to your other HD, read that thread, there are a couple ways to move it - one way is at install time and the other is after. Pick your poison.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Are you using a retail Mac OS 9.2 install CD on a fairly recent dual-boot G4, such as a Quicksilver or MDD?

If so, they require a newer version of 9.2.2 to function. You can't use a retailer installer CD because they pre-date those particular G4 models. Instead, you have to use the System Restore discs that came with your system to restore the System Folder, Applications (Mac OS 9), etc. That stuff lives on the OS9General.dmg disk image file as referenced in the Mac OS Hints article.

wylie

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2004
ah ok, i did read it, but was thinking to myself, surely that wont INSTALL OS9.....

looks like ill have to give the complicated way a shot. :eek:

i may be back on here when i screw it up !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.