Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

123357-att_logo_125.jpg

Reuters reports that AT&T is planning to roll out fixes for a software defect that has hampered upload speeds for iPhone 4 and other users in a number of markets over the next two to three weeks. Users began noticing the problem over the 4th of July weekend, and AT&T subsequently blamed the issue on a software problem with some of its network equipment made by Alcatel Lucent.
The No. 2 U.S. mobile operator said on Monday it had begun rolling out an Alcatel-Lucent software patch that would restore uplink speeds for its high-speed data services that depend on so-called HSUPA technology.

"This patch will be deployed on a phased basis over the next two to three weeks," AT&T spokesman Mark Siegel said.

AT&T, the exclusive U.S. provider for iPhone, said the iPhone 4, the latest Apple device, was the only smartphone that runs on its HSUPA network.
Reports of the issue being fixed started appearing over this past weekend, but some users may have to wait several more weeks before they see upload speeds returning to normal.

Article Link: AT&T to Fix iPhone 4 Upload Speed Issues Over Next 2-3 Weeks

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
USA
Why is the title specific to iPhone4, my 3GS sees (If I am lucky) 20-30k a second upload speeds in Columbus.

AT&T, the exclusive U.S. provider for iPhone, said the iPhone 4, the latest Apple device, was the only smartphone that runs on its HSUPA network.

I thought the 3GS is capable of the higher speed network? That was one of the benefits of the 3GS vs the 3G back in June 2009.

Nothlit

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2009
Why is the title specific to iPhone4, my 3GS sees (If I am lucky) 20-30k a second upload speeds in Columbus.

Because the issue apparently had to do with the HSUPA network hardware. The iPhone 3GS is not capable of HSUPA.

matthewluke99

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2010
Fixed in NYC

I've been checking this every few days or so and the issue seems to have been cleared up in Manhattan as of the middle of last week.

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
I'm wondering - on MR there is a special iPhone blog. Why not post all the IPhone news pieces there?:confused:

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
USA
I'm thinking of HSPDA, D is for download right? the 3GS is capable of the HSPDA.

HSPUA is Upload I guess.

Either way the speed of AT&T's network here in Columbus is bad, I usually only see 2-300k download and 20-30k Upload, on a 3GS.

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley

I thought the 3GS is capable of the higher speed network? That was one of the benefits of the 3GS vs the 3G back in June 2009.

The 3GS is capable of HSDPA, not HSUPA. It has the faster DOWNload speed, but the same UPload speed.

scottphillips88

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2010
What speeds should we be seeing?

Here in Utah I am getting 2000kbps down and 90kbps up consistently. I only started tracking it after I heard about the upload speed issues but I swear I used to get much faster Upload when I first got the phone.

bhaasie

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2010
So. Central PA
I'll believe it when I see it

Even as of my 2 calls to AT&T Technical (right.. In my best Dr. Evil voice) support today, they don't even know this issue is happening... They are clueless.....

I'll believe it when I see it. I hope this fix is not as elusive as the cherished White iPhone4....:rolleyes:

grmatt

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
I'm happy to report it's fixed in Grand Rapids, MI. I got 4783 down and 1648 up yesterday using the speedtest app.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
I've been checking this every few days or so and the issue seems to have been cleared up in Manhattan as of the middle of last week.

I can attest to this, for the most part uploads are back up to speed in Manhattan, however, in Astoria, Queens just a mile or two away, the towers are still stuck at 0.09 megabits as they have been for nearly a month now. I can only assume that this will be changing sooner than later...

grmatt

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
What speeds should we be seeing?

Here in Utah I am getting 2000kbps down and 90kbps up consistently. I only started tracking it after I heard about the upload speed issues but I swear I used to get much faster Upload when I first got the phone.

It's very dependent on you signal and location but it looks like you are definitely being affected by the problem. You should expect a high of somewhere between 3000 - 5000 kbps down and 700 - 1500 kbps up.

alakazzam

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2010
MA
Maybe AT&T will start improving their service now that their exclusivity is surely going to be running out in the very near future. :)

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
No problems here in South Florida, Hopefully it gets fixed for everyone else real soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.