PDA

View Full Version : Sennheiser PX100 Headphones

MacBytes
Nov 16, 2004, 09:55 PM
Category: Reviews
Link: Sennheiser PX100 Headphones (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041116225518)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

nagromme
Nov 17, 2004, 02:09 AM
I got a pair of PX-100s: reviews said they were better than the 200s, and sound as good for $40 as headphones costing over $100. They seem to be consitently reviewed as better than many pairs that cost more, and any pair that costs the same. (I wanted headphones, not earbuds--but nothing that enclosed my ears.) And they fold up like sunglasses! So much easier to throw in a bag and not crush.

They're great. I use them with a PowerBook and an iPod. I didn't think they had too much bass--in fact, I tend to reduce the treble and midrange--but I'm no audiophile. Everyone IS amazed how full the sound is--you don't expect it from a tiny pair of headphones if you've only used cheap throwaway ones.

They're pretty comfortable too, and seem durable.

Before I got tempted into grabbing the large and really expensive headphones (there was a $23,700 set of Orpheus electrostatic headphones in front of me, just begging me to put them on and listen, but I'll do that when I've bought the Nora Jones CD and can bring a pair of Van Den Hul The First Ultimate cables with me), I grabbed a pair of iPod headphones to listen to. Albeit, the headphones that come with an iPod aren't unacceptable kit. I was expecting much worse. but without a doubt, music is so much nicer to listen to with the PX100's. A large amount of that is due to the much stronger bass, which I'm sure the average iPod user will appreciate.

24 THOUSAND DOLLARS for headphones? :eek:

Well if that guy finds the iPod earbuds "acceptable" and the PX-100s even nicer, they MUST be good :D

Santaduck
Nov 17, 2004, 05:17 AM
When considering entry-level "high end" headphones (approx. $70 USD and up), Sennheiser is a good brand. Go below $50, and it's all pretty much Sony-like mid-fi, no matter what the brand-- For example I tried Sennheiser's behind-the-neck set (about $30), and it was painful to wear, and my ears hurt (literally) too, so these went straight to eBay.

I would also recommend Grado (http://www.gradolabs.com/), which is a name well-known in the home audio audiophile world. Their strength is not immediately star-studded effects (e.g. exaggerated sloppy bass and painfully emphasized highs), but rather smoothness of character, true high fidelity, and non-fatigue over long listening periods-- the last item is most important, as do you find yourself looking forward to putting them on, or does part of you hesitate?

If you want to spend another hundred dollars, I'd recommend an outboard headphone amp, here's a list (http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?topicID=3&subTopicID=27).

Beyond this price range, it's probably pointless if you're talking about personal computer-generated audio, but if you want Stax electrostatics for 15 grand, go ahead, I guess.

_________

edit: haha he mentions van den Hul The First Cables... I got some of those on eBay for a steal-- no metal conductors, it's all low-resistance carbon fiber, and VERY smooth sound. I think they originally retailed for like $400USD per meter pair, pretty crazy, but for the people in high end audio, that's not too much I guess.

TomSmithMacEd
Nov 17, 2004, 08:56 AM
I know I"ll be critized for this, but I still love my Triports.

nagromme
Nov 17, 2004, 02:35 PM
When considering entry-level "high end" headphones (approx. $70 USD and up), Sennheiser is a good brand. Go below $50, and it's all pretty much Sony-like mid-fi, no matter what the brand

Reviews of this PARTICULAR pair of Sennheisers seem to strongly suggest that they DO break away from the rest of the sub-$50 options out there. (Other cheap Sennheisers, like the set you got, may not stack up to costlier models--I too have seen mediocre reviews for other cheap Sennheisers.)

Santaduck
Nov 17, 2004, 05:23 PM
true, i'd be willing to give it a listen.

I was making a generalization that may or may not apply to this Sennheiser. I was burned this year by another low-end Sennheiser (the behind-the-ear model), so I'd definitely want to audition one before I bought one...

I agree that often the cheaper models, even within a brand, get it "right" compared to the next higher models... The Grado SR-60 often gets better reviews than the more expensive SR-125.

nagromme
Nov 17, 2004, 09:49 PM
To put my opinion into perspective, spending $40 for headphones nearly made my hair turn white with horror... $9 is about the most I could have imagined spending :D (Still, I did read reviews from less miserly sources.)

sjk
Nov 18, 2004, 12:17 PM
Six months ago I was looking for some portable and higher impedance headphones than my Sennheiser HD580's and ended up with the PX100's. While they're no match for the audio quality and comfortable of the HD580's (which I can easily forget I'm wearing and have accidentally yanked the cords out of the cups a few times because of that :)) I'm quite satisfied with the PX100's for "casual" use.

Some Grado's I've tried sounded good but were too uncomfortable to wear for more than about half an hour. The melt-around-my-ear feeling of the HD580's does indeed make me look forward to putting them on, SantaDuck.

I haven't tried Etymotic's, yet.

I won't criticize you or your Triports, Erik. :)

When you're fortunate to find a satisfying balance between audio quality, physical comfort, and price that matches listening conditions then that's what matters.

jdechko
Nov 18, 2004, 01:29 PM
I dont have a pair of the PX100's, but I do have a pair of wireless Sennheiser headphones. I love them and Sennheiser is a great company. The connector that holds the headphone to the headband snapped as I took them off, so I sent them in to be repaired. I expected that I'd probably have to pay to have them replaced... especially since I had bought them off of ebay and didnt have an original sales receipt. Well, they repaired them for free! So I have nothing but good marks for them!

Just thought I'd share my story about Sennheiser.