Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

norskd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2010
My g4 has two slots for RAM. One is empty, the other has 512MB. I need to increase the amount of RAM prior to upgrading my OS from 10.3.9 to 10.5 (Leopard). One website states I can upgrade to a max of 2MB, while another states I can only upgrade to a max of 1MB. Which is correct? And, does each slot need the same amount (i.e. 512MB in each for a total of 1MB), or can I keep the current 512MB and install 1MB in the second slot.

Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz 512MB DDR SDRAM PC2700U

norskd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2010
WOW! Talk about a quick response!! Thanks for the info. Is there enough of a difference between the 1MB and the 2MB to warrant the additional expense?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
WOW! Talk about a quick response!! Thanks for the info. Is there enough of a difference between the 1MB and the 2MB to warrant the additional expense?

With Leopard, the more RAM the better, but the actual difference would be 512MB (1.5GB or 2GB), so if you have no problem spending another 50 USD for another 1GB module, do it. Otherwise you can always update later, if the 1.5GB do not suffice.

Btw, it's GB (GigaByte = 1024 MB), not MB (MegaByte = 1024 KiloByte).

norskd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2010
Thank you for the link, the info, and the correction! I almost feel like I know what I'm doing now.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
hi, does owc ship to the UK? and how much would the cost be for shipping? and what methods aof payment will they accept?

Quite a lot:

2s6625e.png

There will be one or more UK Online Retailers, that offer this RAM though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.