PDA

View Full Version : HyperMac battery stand - add 16 hrs of battery life

prot0type
Jul 26, 2010, 04:59 PM
Caught it on engadget.com

http://www.hypermac.com/stand

http://www.hypershop.com/v/vspfiles/photos/IPS-40-2.jpg
http://www.hypershop.com/v/vspfiles/photos/IPS-40-4.jpg

IMO, probably handy for long flights or travel, but I'd imagine you would already be near an outlet and have your iPad charging while it's docked, no?

uraniumwilly
Jul 26, 2010, 06:55 PM
I think most planes are without outlets.

This looks like just the ticket, for me. thanks for posting this.

prot0type
Jul 27, 2010, 07:57 AM
Yeah, I wasnt sure. Haven't taken a flight in quite awhile. I just figured if some airlines offer wifi now, an outlet would be readily available as well.

Shinigami301
Jul 27, 2010, 11:29 PM
It's been months since I took a flight without outlets, but being a double diamond medalllion on DAL (300,000 miles so far this year) I get upgrades 90% of the time. All business class seats have outlets, which work 80% of the time.

On one flight (slc-cdg- trt) I got a seat with a faulty outlet and no chance to recharge at cvg due to short connection. Still had 35% battery when I landed after continuous use for 16 hours (airplane mode and a fair bit of book reading with iBooks, 64 gb 3G unit) .

Now a few months later that might be reduced to about 9 hours, the batt is notably less long lived.

With that said, I have yet to see a delta flight domestically that has both wifi AND working outlets. Very annoying.

Alchematron
Aug 21, 2010, 08:12 AM
Anyone know if its aluminum or plastic?

Thanx

barnyard
Aug 31, 2010, 03:53 PM
it's plastic

mosso2000
Aug 31, 2010, 04:09 PM
The picture looks nice, but as it is not plugged through the dock connector, it probably means that there will be a cable lying around when on charge, isn't it?

uraniumwilly
Aug 31, 2010, 05:55 PM
The picture looks nice, but as it is not plugged through the dock connector, it probably means that there will be a cable lying around when on charge, isn't it?

I had the same question and made the same assumption. The other question I have is: will it fit iPads that are a bit thicker due to the case their using?

robby818
Aug 31, 2010, 09:45 PM
I had the same question and made the same assumption. The other question I have is: will it fit iPads that are a bit thicker due to the case their using?

From the pics, no way will a case work with this stand. A silicone insert in the stand to be used with a caseless iPad and removed when you have a case on the iPad would have been perfect.

I would rather carry a Kensington emPower adapter. It can connect to multiple devices (2 usb ports -sadly not 10watt), is probably lighter than this battery, you don't need to remember to charge it up before a trip, if you travel infrequently it doesn't lose it's effectiveness over time, and is inexpensive. The reclining angle on this stand looks good though, many stands are too upright for airplane use.

3goldens
May 16, 2011, 11:06 AM
Has anyone got any experience with this product, pictures?

Curious why this has not been more a subject of discussion. Seems like a marvelous idea.

It does not look like it has any viewing angles though and probably could be less expensive. Does it act as a charge and sync stand as well?

After all the best Iphone batts portable or not are under $100 now.

Any way this is an intriguing product.

It also would have been a better design had they eliminated the usb cord and just made the connector in the dock itself! I did not realize this at first. This is no great idea to me, they were not creative enough!