PDA

View Full Version : Received Quirky Cloak today-- disappointing

bres
Jul 26, 2010, 07:34 PM
Well this is interesting. Even though the nice folks at Quirky confirmed the cancelation of my Quirky Cloak order several weeks ago, one showed up in my mail today any way. The case I received is the black one.

Initial reaction: what a disappointment.

-VERY heavy. 1 pound, 7 ounces on our postage scale, compared to 7 ounces for the Apple iPad case. <<edit: that was a typo- weight is 1 pound 4 ounces>>

- Dirt magnet. If you think the Apple case collects dirt, this one appears to be even worse. Right out of the box the cover was covered with little white dust specks that do not come off, or at least don't come off easily. The rubberized cover is very tacky (in feel) which is why it seems to attract dust so easily. Unlike the Apple case, the dust/dirt don't seem to wipe off easily either.

These two factors alone make the case a deal breaker for me.

Your mileage may vary.

jedolley
Jul 26, 2010, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the write up. Just took a quick look at the comments on the Quirky page from the others that have received theirs and it's mostly negative. Some point out things they like, but MOST dislike the case and weight seems to be the biggest issue.

UnseenLlama
Jul 26, 2010, 08:28 PM
After watching the design and production videos, I'm glad I didn't go thru with my pre-order. Instead going to use a combination of the Incipio Feather and a knock-off KB Stand from eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180516591033&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_2247wt_1139

Can you possibly take some pictures of the case and post them?

Full of Win
Jul 26, 2010, 08:50 PM
At least you got one. I ordered one and they charged my card, however they have ignored emails sent asking about my order. They have time to make stupid YouTube videos it seems, but not to ship orders.

To all those thinking about doing business with Quirky - AVOID THEM :mad:

MacRumorUser
Jul 27, 2010, 05:04 AM
Mine arrives tomorrow. Arrived in Dublin today, but will be down to Kerry tomorrow. I have had a small influence - so had really high hopes for it, but so far everyones painting a rather sad picture.

I hope I'm not dissapointed, maybe reading everyone elses dissapointment will cushioin the impact - like going to see a movie that's been slated by everyone, and when you see it you say to yourself 'it wasn't that bad' :D

Either way I have relations who would use it even if I don't as they basically want a sturdier typing case - which it at least seems to be.

Benjamins
Jul 27, 2010, 01:32 PM
Quirky's iPad case seems to tried to too much.
But what do you expect when something's designed by a community.
The only thing missing from it is probably a cup holder.

robbojiggs
Jul 28, 2010, 08:05 PM
Mine arrives tomorrow. Arrived in Dublin today, but will be down to Kerry tomorrow. I have had a small influence - so had really high hopes for it, but so far everyones painting a rather sad picture.

I hope I'm not dissapointed, maybe reading everyone elses dissapointment will cushioin the impact - like going to see a movie that's been slated by everyone, and when you see it you say to yourself 'it wasn't that bad' :D

Either way I have relations who would use it even if I don't as they basically want a sturdier typing case - which it at least seems to be.

dont cash the cheque.....LOL

MacRumorUser
Jul 29, 2010, 01:52 AM
I may have had small influence, there was no $ involved though lol. Thank god really, the level of returns is shocking, well that is until you see the finished article and then it's unsurprising :)