Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ezkirk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2004
Hong Kong
I have just bought a 2nd hand adaptec 2906 SCSi card for my G4 running OSX 10.3, it seems to of slown the whole operating system down by about half and the system profiler no longer recognises it. When I try to install the 2906 software it fails with errors!

When I first put the card in the computer started up no problem and the card was recognised, now I have taken it out as it makes the computer too slow...

Any ideas?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
There is already an Adaptec 290X - 2930 driver in /System/Extensions so you don't need to install one.

It almost sounds as though the card has given up. Does it work better in any of the other slots? Have you tried it in another machine? I only have a 2930 but it has worked with Panther and didn't slow the system down at all.

kettle

macrumors 65816
I use a 2906 to run a Jaz drive.
It only shows up in the PCI/AGP Card description.

I'm experiencing some problems since around the iTunes 4.7 Quicktime and 10.3.6 update. The whole system seems to have taken a hit.

I was thinking of taking it out to test.

Otherwise it seems ok for mounting Jaz drives with.

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
I think Panther and Adaptec SCSI cards don't get along. There doesn't appear to be any support. I think Apple & Adaptec got it a fight.
I have a Adaptec 2930 SCSI attached to a VXA tape drive.
I can .. sort of.. backup to tape under Panther, but I consistently get kernel panics. After some research, I concluded that I'm SOL.

cpjakes

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2003
Buffalo, NY
This thread is interesting - I have a DP 450 from 2000 with an Adaptec 2190 in it. It's been in there for a long time, I wonder if I'm experiencing anything slower than I should be. It's always worked well with three internal hard drives, an external CD-RW and an old scanner. There was a problem with the OS for a while, but that was fixed in one of the 10.3.x updates.

If I can untangle my machine from it's location, maybe I'll pull the card and check my speeds.

cpjakes

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2002
Somewhere out there
Learned the hard way...

You may want to make sure that this adaptec card is supported by Panther.

A while back, I bought an ATTO Ultra2 card. This card would work great in OSX.2, but in Panther ( OSX.3 ) it was not recognized. Turns out that the drivers for the OS are actually stored in the card.

The drivers stored in my atto do not load under OSX.3, and so, it became useless for a Mac. In Windows, it works better than any Adaptec card I have ever had.

Long and short... this card may not run under panther or later.

Max.

ezkirk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2004
Hong Kong
bousozoku said:
There is already an Adaptec 290X - 2930 driver in /System/Extensions so you don't need to install one.

It almost sounds as though the card has given up. Does it work better in any of the other slots? Have you tried it in another machine? I only have a 2930 but it has worked with Panther and didn't slow the system down at all.

I tried it in 3 different ports, I have not tried to connect anything to it yet but I was worried by the software/driver not instaling properly.

Yes it does seem that Apple is trying to kill SCSI - not such a bad thing apart from I have an Epson 1520 (almost A2 size) printer and a Scitex Eversmart A3 scannner both use SCSi and will cost a fortune to replace with USB/FireWire hardware!

I have been in other threads reffering to routers and networking and at the moment my G4 is far from 'plug and play'!! Still a thousand times better than anything a PC can give me!

stephenli

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2004
I also have a 2906, the OS recognized it as SCSI but,
it just not work.
I read somewhere that 2906 is not supported, but 2930 should be ok (though i forgot which site i have read)
so....my choice is to
throw away my 2906, and throw away my old...old epson SCSI scanner...
a good excuse to upgrade the scanner, and of course, Firewire.

ezkirk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2004
Hong Kong
stephenli said:
I also have a 2906, the OS recognized it as SCSI but,
it just not work.
I read somewhere that 2906 is not supported, but 2930 should be ok (though i forgot which site i have read)
so....my choice is to
throw away my 2906, and throw away my old...old epson SCSI scanner...
a good excuse to upgrade the scanner, and of course, Firewire.

Easier said than done... look up the prices and specs for an Eversmart Pro scanner... even on ebay it is around $5,000 in used condition! My printer is handy too as it prints large scale and the quality is still pretty good.

2906 is supported by both 10.3 server and 10.3 according to the Adaptec site!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.