PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Uses Halo 2 to Catch Xbox Pirates

MacBytes
Nov 17, 2004, 09:09 AM
Category: Microsoft
Link: Microsoft Uses Halo 2 to Catch Xbox Pirates (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041117100906)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Laslo Panaflex
Nov 17, 2004, 09:20 AM
No need to read the article anyone, the Title says just as much as the article, which is nothing about how they "catch" them, just that they can?

I was under the impression that as long as you have your xcuter, or whatever chip turned off, xbox live can't detect it. Does anyone have any other information, can xbox live, halo 2, or anything MS related detect a modded Xbox, even if the chip is turned off?

musicpyrite
Nov 17, 2004, 01:47 PM
Well, it wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft did some kind of probe thing, similar to what they do with Internet Explorer on Windows.

Perhaps the Halo 2 game has some kind of code that probes you hardware (RAM type, hard drive size/type, processor, etc.) and sends the data to a Microsoft server, and it then decides if you have a modified xBox.

Stupid M$. :eek: :mad: :p :D :cool: :)

edesignuk
Nov 17, 2004, 01:51 PM
It's not illegal for me to have chipped my XBox, only to have copied games, it's no buisness of theirs if I chip my 'box.

Bendit
Nov 17, 2004, 02:50 PM
It's not illegal for me to have chipped my XBox, only to have copied games, it's no buisness of theirs if I chip my 'box.

If you agree to a EULA that says you will not then it is. And guess what, you did.

The Lamprey
Nov 17, 2004, 02:52 PM
commies.

edesignuk
Nov 17, 2004, 02:54 PM
If you agree to a EULA that says you will not then it is. And guess what, you did.
Really? I thought mod chips were ok, it's the software copies that are illeagal :confused:

Nermal
Nov 17, 2004, 04:16 PM
It depends on whether the EULA is enforceable. I don't know about the UK (or NZ for that matter), but only two states enforce EULAs.

shamino
Nov 17, 2004, 04:18 PM
Only if you live in a state where shrink-wrap licenses are binding. This is only the case in VA and MD, where the UCITA (http://www.ucita.com/) has been passed into law.

Everywhere else, shrink-wrap licenses and click-thru licenses are meaningless.

edesignuk
Nov 17, 2004, 04:20 PM
meh...good job I don't give a toss either way :D :p

Lz0
Nov 17, 2004, 04:28 PM
it's no buisness of theirs if I chip my 'box.

Exactly! It's like a car manufacturer saying you can't put alloy wheels on your car????

I'd like to see M$ argue that in court.

Santaduck
Nov 17, 2004, 05:19 PM

well it's an odd issue, and the legal issues are related to flashing your DVD player or drive to play movies from any region...

SiliconAddict
Nov 17, 2004, 08:12 PM
You guys really are funny.

First and foremost the car analogy is stupid. If you mod, lets say your exhaust system in your car you void your warrantee and thus lose any coverage.

Similarly, or only kind of, putting a mod chip in your device, be it X-Box, PS2, or GameCube not only voids the warrantee but alters the device from its original design. Microsoft is well within its rights to lock these people out because by and large they are either using disks not intended for that region, using pirated disks, or using online cheats. In any or all of the possible reasons, other then possibly upgrading the hard drive, Microsoft is well within their rights to do this just as Apple is well within their rights to break Real's Harmony software for allowing their music to play on the iPod.
You guys are just complaining because its Microsoft. If this was Apple’s iBox you would be cheering them on. "Way to go Apple! Stick it to them pirates!"

Sun Baked
Nov 17, 2004, 08:26 PM

...In any or all of the possible reasons, other then possibly upgrading the hard drive, Microsoft is well within their rights to do this...I actually thought that was one of the mods they were kicking you off for.

And MS is well within their rights for using that as a criteria, when the Box is closed.

The iMac LCD G3 & G4 are closed boxes, and upgrading the HD in those would void the warranty.

But MS explained that the mods (including the HDs) give some players an unfair advantage over others (ie, it's cheating) -- and MS wants to keep the playing field as level as they can.

vwcruisn
Nov 18, 2004, 01:16 AM

First and foremost the car analogy is stupid. If you mod, lets say your exhaust system in your car you void your warrantee and thus lose any coverage.

nope. modding your car cannot void your warranty, unless it is proven that mod actually caused the problem (if there is one) to your car. Technically, if you put on a new exhaust system, you have voided the warranty on your EXHAUST (mostly because it no longer exsists). Most mods would be very hard for a car maunfacturer to prove was the cause of a malfunction. Now if you slap on a big ass turbo and your engine blows, thats a different story.

Freakk123
Nov 18, 2004, 09:56 PM
I have a modchip, but use it to turn my Xbox into a media player using some homebrew software called Xbox Media Center. Modchips are also used to run linux, etc. I have Halo 2, and have played it with my modchip disabled on Xbox Live, and have yet to get banned. There is a lot of information on how they ban it, but basically: When you run a modchip, you generally upgrade the Hard Drive. Microsoft checks if the HD serial number corresponds to the Xbox's eeprom, which is a chip on the box that stores the HD Lock number, as well as the serial number, DVD region, NTSC or PAL, etc.

If it doesn't correspond, they ban you. But it is fairly easy to circumvent. As for the legality of modchips, as far as I understand, they are legal as long as you don't run any unsigned code, which basically all homebrew applications and games are. This is because they are written using an illegally stolen Xbox Developers Kit compiler (if I understand correctly). Linux on the Xbox is just about the only legal use of a modchip. Outside of that, you're pretty much not supposed to do it, but microsoft goes after the modchip sellers and makers, and not the users.

I know what I've written is sort of jumbled, and not the most well written piece, so if anyone wants to understand more, go here: Xbox-Scene (http://xbox-scene.com). I'll also answer any questions.

jackieonasses
Nov 18, 2004, 10:24 PM
nope. modding your car cannot void your warranty, unless it is proven that mod actually caused the problem (if there is one) to your car. Technically, if you put on a new exhaust system, you have voided the warranty on your EXHAUST (mostly because it no longer exsists). Most mods would be very hard for a car maunfacturer to prove was the cause of a malfunction. Now if you slap on a big ass turbo and your engine blows, thats a different story. I don't think that was the point. The point is there is an agreement. If you hack into the cars computer chip THAT is illegal. Kinda like this modded xbox.

combatcolin
Nov 19, 2004, 06:28 AM
commies.

??????????

Should it not be Capitalist's?