Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkeithh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2002
Does anyone know if there is a way you can someone can let Apple know about bad experiences at an Apple Store?

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
1-800-my-apple?

I usually call a company's primary number, and then have the call routed around. Takes a little more time on the phone, but sometimes numbers take even longer to find.

That said, I wasn't there, was the Apple store in a mall (I think most are)? I wouldn't be surprised if the hiring process as not too different from any other mall store. You may get a quicker response talking to the store manager and working up the local chain. If the manager is a problem or can't/won't solve it, demand the number for a regional/division/whatever apple calls it manager. It'll be more work, but there is more control on the day-to-day operations.

Good luck, and I hope the issue gets resolved.

Maclomaniac

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2004
NC
You should go talk to the store's manager, who can put you in touch with the regional manager, and so on up. Apple's retail store management is extremely concerned with customer service, so I would be surprised if talking to the store manager doesn't solve your problem.

And the hiring process at an Apple Store is much more extensive than most retail stores. You have 2 - 3 interviews (just for a part-time associate) plus a very extensive background check that takes over a month. They also get a good amount of training, although most stores have been so busy that training takes a backseat to literally having people out on the floor. All Mac Geniuses are literally sent to Cupertino for several weeks of training.

While I don't doubt that you may have had a bad experience, please remember that the employees there, especially if not a manager, have little to no say in determining policies or their actaions. Just remember to not shoot the messenger! (Sorry, I have spent a lot of time working in retail.)

jkeithh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2002
Maclomaniac said:
You should go talk to the store's manager, who can put you in touch with the regional manager, and so on up. Apple's retail store management is extremely concerned with customer service, so I would be surprised if talking to the store manager doesn't solve your problem.

And the hiring process at an Apple Store is much more extensive than most retail stores. You have 2 - 3 interviews (just for a part-time associate) plus a very extensive background check that takes over a month. They also get a good amount of training, although most stores have been so busy that training takes a backseat to literally having people out on the floor. All Mac Geniuses are literally sent to Cupertino for several weeks of training.

While I don't doubt that you may have had a bad experience, please remember that the employees there, especially if not a manager, have little to no say in determining policies or their actaions. Just remember to not shoot the messenger! (Sorry, I have spent a lot of time working in retail.)

I was totally ignored the whole hour I was in the store and the store wasn't very busy. I would have to call the manager to complain as it was a store I visited while on vacation. Seeing as we don't have an Apple store in New Orleans, I was really looking forward to actually going into a true Apple store. I just hope it was a rare occurence and not a typical visit to a typical Apple store.

papersushi

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2003
Ask for help if you need help, don't just stand there waiting for someone to talk to you. You know these days, most people prefer to be left alone by store sales staffs anyway.

Applespider

macrumors G4
In general, always raise service complaints in any store to the store manager. The head office will just go back to him/her in any case by which time trying to remember details of specific days is difficult. If you don't get any satisfaction after that, then you've got even more of a case to complain to head office.

As far as service in Apple Stores goes, I was very disappointed by the service in Chicago at N Michigan Ave. I wanted help on external hard drives and there was no-one upstairs to ask. I ended up going downstairs to try to find someone but when I did, they couldn't answer my question. Rather than trying to find someone who could, they just told me to try asking another sales assistant when I could get their attention. I gave up, put the software I had already picked up back on the shelf and walked out.

The Woodfield Mall store on the other hand was very helpful so they got the purchase. I've also had good service in San Francisco so perhaps it was just a busy/understaffed day in Chicago. Then again, I was ignored while standing at the register in Houston so maybe not!

It can be hard to know when someone wants help and when someone doesn't. If someone seems to be happily playing around with an iMac, checking email etc, it's hard to tell whether they are just using the Apple Store as a convenient mail check or whether they need help in buying an iMac. If someone is scrutinising a box with a puzzled look, continually wandering by the same display cabinets scanning for something, standing by a cash register tho, the staff should be approaching them asking if they can help.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I would also speak with the store manager first. It is usually better to handle the situation at the source first. I'm sorry to hear about that kind of treatment. At my local store if I'm there a while several will ask if I have any questions.

jkeithh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2002
papersushi said:
Ask for help if you need help, don't just stand there waiting for someone to talk to you. You know these days, most people prefer to be left alone by store sales staffs anyway.

Well, I gave up after standing near the register for 15 minutes saying "excuse me can I ask a question" and started walking around the store looking. I would have thought that somebody would have acknowledged my presence and at least said something like "if you need any help please let us know." I did not even get that.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Applespider

ok, I can understand someone from the UK going to the Apple store here in Chicago but Woodfield? WTF were you doing all the way out in Woodfield?

Seriously though, I've had mixed visits to all of the local Apple Stores. You are correct - the one in Woodfield is staffed by very nice people, most of whome are a bit older than the Michigan Ave. store - probably plays better with the older, more conservative suburban clintelle. The Geniuses in Woodfield are a mixed bag though - one guy was very nice and helpful when my PB had a SuperDrive malfunction - the other guy was surly and basically accused me of breaking my SuperDrive. 2 different trips - 2 different experiences. it's the same thing with the Mich. Ave. store - it all depends on what the staffing is like when you're there - not very consistent.

My guess is that Apple is taking the "hands off" approach when it comes to talking to customers - most people, myself included, HATE talking to overzealous retail employees.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
jkeithh said:
Well, I gave up after standing near the register for 15 minutes saying "excuse me can I ask a question" and started walking around the store looking. I would have thought that somebody would have acknowledged my presence and at least said something like "if you need any help please let us know." I did not even get that.

Your experience is certainly very surprising to me. It is 180 degrees to my experience at my local Apple Store. As mentioned this would certainly be best handled first at the local store.

parrothead

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2003
Edmonds, WA
At my local Apple Store (Honolulu) it is like pulling teeth to talk to anyone. I routinely wait 30 minutes just to talk to a sales person, and then when ready to buy usually another 20 minutes to get someone to work the register. Good thing there's lots of toys to play with in that store. :rolleyes:

Applespider

macrumors G4
aricher said:
ok, I can understand someone from the UK going to the Apple store here in Chicago but Woodfield? WTF were you doing all the way out in Woodfield?

Was on the annual football pilgrimage. This year it was South Bend, Indy, Green Bay, Detroit, St Louis. We had a few days midtrip in Chicago but with lots of luggage in the car and lots of driving to do, the major shopping was delayed until the end of the trip. After coming up from St Louis, the mall was the best place and then we headed straight for O'Hare.

Applespider

macrumors G4
aricher said:
Football pilgrimage - US football or rest of the world football (aka soccer)?

US football - soccer puts me to sleep!

My friends and I all support different teams so heading out just to see 'our' team always turned into an argument. So now we head out and try to see a few teams in different areas - and do a long weekend to 'our' team another time. It does lead to some organisational challenges though - 2 games in the same day in different states! And 3 games within 26 hours in 2 states!

jkeithh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2002
parrothead said:
At my local Apple Store (Honolulu) it is like pulling teeth to talk to anyone. I routinely wait 30 minutes just to talk to a sales person, and then when ready to buy usually another 20 minutes to get someone to work the register. Good thing there's lots of toys to play with in that store. :rolleyes:

I am going to say which Apple store it was just in case any of the employees of that store read Macrumors. Maybe someone from the store (or someone who regularly shops there) will say something about it being a one time slip up. It was the Fashion Show store in Las Vegas.

Yotabyte

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2004
Perth, Australia.
I had a bit of a disturbing conflict with some complete idiot of a sales rep when trying to return my G604T wireless router a week or so back because it still wouldn't work. I asked for my money back as, firsly, the product was malfunctioning (high pithced buzzing noise, it truly was refined psychological warfare, should give the product to the US army and made a fortune), secondly it wouldn't work and I spent hours going through every possible problem with my ISP, eventually ending up in them lodging a line fault to be thorough, and then hours more through my own mind, and I even contacted the manufacturer of the product and every one I could think of, they all seemed to feel that the router was the problem.

Any way, I tried to return the product and the rep said he could not return the product due to the poor state it was in (the box, the wires), implying that I should have never taken it out of the box. I had to explain to him why it is necessary to take a product out of a box to use it as its hard to quantum tunnel wires through a box but that just seemed to annoy him further, but it was funny as he did make a fool out of himself in the process. So, eventually, he agreed to get ANOTHER of the product to give to me and I loostened my grip of death on him as he started acting a little more civil (after talking to the manager) and less like I just robbed his car and I finally brought the product home (number 3) and got the router working. I suppose that the only way to deal with a disgruntled rep is to let them cry about policy until they can't cry no more, and then appeal to their compassion and make it seem like they can back down out of a fight without them feeling that they lose, then they will try and help you.

Maybe this tactic will work with disgruntled apple reps, maybe not. Personally, I've been only to two apple stores and they've both treated me well and were always helpful. All I had to do was glance in the vicinity of the register and one would just appear next to me. :p

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
If youv'e ever worked in retail before you get used to be people trying work the system and take the companyfor a ride.

A good, trained and experienced employee will normally be able to spot the difference.

Ignoring customers when its busy, however, is a big no-no.

Takes seconds to say "Sorry, were a bit busy at the moment but i'll get to you as soon as i can"

Lets the customer know you have acknowleged them hopefully they'll understand.

budaapple

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2004
Ill.
sorry to here it

As a Apple retail PT employee I am sorry to hear that a few folks have had a bad experience shopping in some of our stores. I myself have found it hard to receive complete attention in the larger market stores only because they are usually swamped. The smaller stores in malls have never been a problem they always seem to have time to talk. You have to keep in mnd that these stores large and small have a budget to follow just like any business and in order to keep everything in line (free classes, prices, inventory) they cannot afford to staff the store one rep per customer. We are witnessing a huge surge in popularity for Apple products and for those that are true "MacHeads" and stock holders you have to enjoy the attention Apple is finally receiving. I know myself that after a busy Sat. or Sunday that I can barely talk from all the crazy topics that are brought up during a day. From newbies that have never used a computer to the switcher with 1001 questions. I love talking about Apple and just like all staff members in my store revel in the thought of helping people learn about Apple. I know we are priced at a premium and some folks feel that they should be handled as such but the honest truth is we try and devote as much time that is needed to satisfy every customer. Just be patient or like the one person stated ask for help we will always be glad to assist you.
Thanks

jkeithh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2002
combatcolin said:
If youv'e ever worked in retail before you get used to be people trying work the system and take the companyfor a ride.

A good, trained and experienced employee will normally be able to spot the difference.

Ignoring customers when its busy, however, is a big no-no.

Takes seconds to say "Sorry, were a bit busy at the moment but i'll get to you as soon as i can"

Lets the customer know you have acknowleged them hopefully they'll understand.

Exactly. That was my point. All someone had to do was say "I'll be with you just as soon as I can" or "If you need any help let us know." I got neither. Even when I "excuse me" nobody even looked up. I just wanted to let someone know that I needed help with something as soon as someone became free to help me.

jkeithh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2002
budaapple said:
As a Apple retail PT employee I am sorry to hear that a few folks have had a bad experience shopping in some of our stores. I myself have found it hard to receive complete attention in the larger market stores only because they are usually swamped. The smaller stores in malls have never been a problem they always seem to have time to talk. You have to keep in mnd that these stores large and small have a budget to follow just like any business and in order to keep everything in line (free classes, prices, inventory) they cannot afford to staff the store one rep per customer. We are witnessing a huge surge in popularity for Apple products and for those that are true "MacHeads" and stock holders you have to enjoy the attention Apple is finally receiving. I know myself that after a busy Sat. or Sunday that I can barely talk from all the crazy topics that are brought up during a day. From newbies that have never used a computer to the switcher with 1001 questions. I love talking about Apple and just like all staff members in my store revel in the thought of helping people learn about Apple. I know we are priced at a premium and some folks feel that they should be handled as such but the honest truth is we try and devote as much time that is needed to satisfy every customer. Just be patient or like the one person stated ask for help we will always be glad to assist you.
Thanks
Obviously not. I have worked in retail and we always at least let the customer know that we saw them and would help them when we were free or at the very least said hello and that if they needed anything to please let one of us know. This is not a huge store and it was a Friday afternoon at 2pm. It wouldn't have bothered me so much had it not been my first trip to a true Apple store (seeing as how we will never get one in New Orleans). But since I do love Apple computers so much, I am definitely willing to give other Apple stores a chance. There are a couple within 6 hours or so of New Orleans (Saddlecreek in the Memphis Area) and the one in the Galleria in Houston, TX.

timsq

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2004
New Orleans
Yeah I got ignored too.

I went on a trip to Vegas and stopped in the Fashion Show Mall where the Apple store is and the premise I saw wasn't too unlike an upscale salon. Well lit and organized-yes. Well trained sales staff-no. The Genius bar was in the back and we (3) were trying to engage some discussion about the mini and bluetooth and the G5 2.5 and I kept getting side stepped. I gave up fearing I would become dumber by talking to these guys. My CompUSA guy on Veterans knows more (and they have a 30" on display). It was nice seeing all that merch in one unit, but I'm not going back unless I go to big (non-mall) standalone like Atlanta or Chicago. I don't think complaining would do much in my case. Food.

jkeithh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2002
timsq said:
I went on a trip to Vegas and stopped in the Fashion Show Mall where the Apple store is and the premise I saw wasn't too unlike an upscale salon. Well lit and organized-yes. Well trained sales staff-no. The Genius bar was in the back and we (3) were trying to engage some discussion about the mini and bluetooth and the G5 2.5 and I kept getting side stepped. I gave up fearing I would become dumber by talking to these guys. My CompUSA guy on Veterans knows more (and they have a 30" on display). It was nice seeing all that merch in one unit, but I'm not going back unless I go to big (non-mall) standalone like Atlanta or Chicago. I don't think complaining would do much in my case. Food.

I have to agree. Shawn is great at CompUSA isn't he? Nice to see someone else from the New Orleans on here.

timsq

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2004
New Orleans
The argument for a New Orleans Apple Store.

• Cultural crossroads
  • Between Houston and Atlanta
  • Mississippi River
  • Budding Technology Programs
  • Film Industry Location
  • Creative People
  • Strong Mac Community
  • Endless Promotion
  • Southern Charm
  • Traditional Values with thoughful abandon
I don't know if I could even have this prayer, but I would want Shawn the have this baby. Besides, I still expect the Saints to win the SB this year.

earthtoandy

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2003
Maclomaniac said:
uhh kinda. I am in the process of being hired. I submitted my application online and then waited. Got a call. Did an interview with the General Manager and then had the background check done. He said it would take 1 week for the check then another week to get back to me. There was a typo error on my check so it has taken longer but i am waiting for corporate to get through the beauacracy. But the manager wants to hire me! hopefully i will know tomorrow. But year they have a better screening process. Few people even make it to the interview... i guess last year they hired like 15% of those who applied online.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.