Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple also announced the release of a new 27" LED Cinema Display featuring a resolution of 2560x1440. The latest Apple screen features an iSight video camera, microphone and speakers:
"With built-in MagSafe charging, iSight camera, speakers, and USB ports, the LED Cinema Display is ideal for MacBook and MacBook Pro users," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "With its massive 2560 x 1440 resolution, the new 27-inch LED Cinema Display is a perfect fit with our powerful new Mac Pro, and it gives iMac users an easy way to double their screen real estate."
The 27" display also features a 16:9 aspect ratio, a MagSafe charger as well as a 3-port USB 2.0 hub. An ambient light sensor automatically adjusts the screen's brightness based on the lighting conditions.

The new LED Cinema Display will be available in September for a price of $999. It requires a Mac with a Mini Displayport.

Article Link: Apple Releases 27-Inch LED Cinema Display

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Cheaper than the U2711, less options. Did Apple actually make this thing competitive ? I'm impressed.

Remains to be seen if the display is comparable.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Cheaper than the U2711, less options. Did Apple actually make this thing competitive ? I'm impressed.

Remains to be seen if the display is comparable.
I can imagine its the exact same panel they've been using in the iMac, so if you've seen a 27" iMac, you've seen this display.

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
Why would anyone want MagSafe power when plugging this into their Mac Pro or iMac. It's not like the cable design would let you charge your laptop at the same time with it.

Vincenzok

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2009
Am I the only one that can't find this (or the Mac Pro bump) in the Canadian online store?

neeeeeeeeeeeeeeevermind..... Didn't see that it would released in September....

Need more coffee in the morning.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Same old.. Short cable so you can't have your Mac Pro under your desk.

The 30" Cinema Display is still available, so I assume they aren't discontinuing that yet.

Eric-PTEK

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2009
Well I think its a good deal for MB/Pro users.

I've been wanting to pick up a 2nd charger for my MB Pro but hate giving Apple $80 for a $15 part. So if I factor in the cost of the charger, which I'll no longer need, then its closer to $900.

3" less physical space but same resolution as the 30" HP and $200 cheaper.

If I was available today I'd be at the Apple store but its not....and thats the bigger problem, have to wait 30 plus days to get one.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Omg omg omg

It's been 7 years!!!!! Finally Apple. This looks good, now a matte option would be perfect.

$999! I paid $899 for the 24" LED LCD. Wow, what will happen with the 30" CCFL LCD?

Eric-PTEK

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2009
Why would anyone want MagSafe power when plugging this into their Mac Pro or iMac. It's not like the cable design would let you charge your laptop at the same time with it.

Because most people who have laptops want to carry the charger with them. The only place I'd need a perm charger is at my desk, with the monitor...so its perfect that I don't have to have an extra cable plugged in, just the monitor.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Same old.. Short cable so you can't have your Mac Pro under your desk.

The 30" Cinema Display is still available, so I assume they aren't discontinuing that yet.

There are cable extenders just for this purpose online for around $29 or so. I bought one for my Mac Pro 24" ACD's, works perfectly.

JohnnyLemonhead

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2008
Oh sure, spending $1K for an LCD monitor makes loads of sense. I would complain about the lack of a 20" option but I know it would be $500-$600 if it was offered. Once again, we have an Apple monitor priced roughly 2 times retail simply because it trim-matches our Apple computer perfectly.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
There are cable extenders just for this purpose online for around $29 or so. I bought one for my Mac Pro 24" ACD's, works perfectly.

Doesn't matter.

Fact is, Apple is still using short cables. After spending that much, you shouldn't have to go out and buy a cable extender because Apple decided that your Mac should be no more than a foot away from the display.

Oh sure, spending $1K for an LCD monitor makes loads of sense. I would complain about the lack of a 20" option but I know it would be $500-$600 if it was offered. Once again, we have an Apple monitor priced roughly 2 times retail simply because it trim-matches our Apple computer perfectly.

It's cheaper than the Dell equivalent.

hexor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2002
Minnesota
no HDMI

What's with the no HDMI port? And if they would have included HDCP as well I wouldn't of had to buy someone else's monitor to watch blu-ray!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.