PDA

View Full Version : My (admittedly ugly) site

cleo
Aug 18, 2002, 11:04 AM
Hi, folks. I'm working on a site for my local Green Party - it's at http://www.pinellasgreens.org/index3.php . The thing is,, I'm much better at programming than at artsy stuff, and this has got to be the ugliest site I have ever designed. The only thing that the group insists on is the little leaf logo - other than that I have free range on layout and design. As it is now, it's too green and too boring. Any ideas?

Mr. Anderson
Aug 18, 2002, 01:35 PM
It looks great Cleo, nice and clean, but I agree the green is a little over powering - try using something a little less saturated, and subtly organizing - here's a 1 min attempt at a different background. Play around with the original image till you get something that works better. Good work, let us know when you get it finished.

Also- what is Kréyol? I think I know, but what is it's root language and why do you have it there?

D

Sun Baked
Aug 18, 2002, 01:42 PM
That background is a little bright, keeping green probably won't make the rest of the page stand out as much - being boring I would stick with a color you're unlikely to see when looking at the page, shades of grey?.

cleo
Aug 18, 2002, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I've been working on this afternoon, so I'm not sure which version y'all saw. I just went and added some beveling and drop shadows to make the logo "pop" a bit more, which I like... but I changed the background behind the mission statement to dark blue, and I'm not sure if it works or not. I'm really frustrated - I hate colors.

I like the suggestion of a gray bg... I desaturated mine a bit, and I think it's much better.

Duke - in the US Kreyole is usually spelled "Creole" - it's a mixture of West African languages and French spoken in various parts of the islands and (way back when) by slaves in Lousiana. It's there because one of our county council members is French Canadian and has done a good bit of work in Haiti and just wanted it there. :D

Any further ideas re: colors? And what about the sunflowers (sunflowers are a national green symbol, and I just felt like I needed some color other than green)?

Mr. Anderson
Aug 18, 2002, 07:32 PM
the colors don't look any different, and I did refresh to make sure I got the new image. Its just a little too bright, thats all.

I like the logo - would you think putting the green G in front of a SunFlower with a little dropshadow would be too much? That way you'd get a little more yellow in the the pic.

And some thing that goes hand in hand with green.....