PDA

View Full Version : Should I get numbers for iPad?

chain752
Jul 27, 2010, 11:02 AM
I have already bought pages and I want numbers but idk how much I would use it. I already have excel on my desktop so I was thinking it might be a waste of money. Also, can you put the numbers document on excel?

Any help is appreciated.

AppleKash
Jul 31, 2010, 05:43 AM
I am not very well versed with numbers.. But I did purchase the app so that I can use it with my Excel on my PC. Somewhat of a disaster, though I should have seen this one coming. I could not (might just be my lack of insight with numbers) convert the numbers file into an excel file without having numbers on a mac. So I was forced to convert my numbers spreadsheet into a PDF (numbers on ipad gives you this option) and then convert that into an excel file using a trial software that allowed me to do. Blah.. Maybe I need to look into this more.. But that was my initial experience.

mixvio
Jul 31, 2010, 07:37 AM
If I remember correctly, Numbers doesn't let you convert to excel directly, but I believe you can export a file to iWork.com and then download it as an excel file there.

chain752
Jul 31, 2010, 12:29 PM
Thanks guys. I bought the app and love it. Just a little annoyed that I can't export to excel through iWork.com:(. Though it was a little expensive, I absolutely love this app and would recommend it to anyone.

yoavcs
Jul 31, 2010, 01:10 PM
Thanks guys. I bought the app and love it. Just a little annoyed that I can't export to excel through iWork.com:(. Though it was a little expensive, I absolutely love this app and would recommend it to anyone.

$10 for a full-featured spreadsheet is expensive? Are you serious?

Are we now fully into "anything over $2.99 is over-priced" mode?

Where I'm from $10 gets me a McDonald's meal.

Hammie
Jul 31, 2010, 01:22 PM
I don't have Numbers ,but I have been happy using 'Docs to Go' and 'Office HD' with my MS Excel docs.

chain752
Jul 31, 2010, 01:26 PM

I guess you're right considering the price of iWork 09.

eTip
Jul 31, 2010, 08:55 PM

Expensive when compared to other spreadsheets in the App store - not compared to burgers and fries. Particularly when the other "full featrued spreadheets" at least appear offer more (i.e. - Excel compatibility - a deal breaker for me) and cost less.

That said, I would gladly pay twice that for a spreadsheet app that has consistent good reviews. All of them seem to be lacking something....and I am still trying to decide. How does Office^2 compare to Office HD & Office 2 go? They seem to have very good reviews for their most recent update & I was leaning that direction.

angle
Aug 1, 2010, 12:44 PM
If I remember correctly, Numbers doesn't let you convert to excel directly, but I believe you can export a file to iWork.com and then download it as an excel file there.

You are correct on the first part: numbers does not (currently) export to Excel format. However you are incorrect on the second part: if you upload to iWork.com from your iPad, you CANNOT download as an Excel file.

Just FYI.....

mixvio
Aug 1, 2010, 01:20 PM
You are correct on the first part: numbers does not (currently) export to Excel format. However you are incorrect on the second part: if you upload to iWork.com from your iPad, you CANNOT download as an Excel file.

Just FYI.....

I'd never done it before, I was only going off of a suggestion posted in a review of the app on the app store. That's why I said "I believe," not "here's a fact."

KevinC867
Aug 3, 2010, 03:59 PM
I have already bought pages and I want numbers but idk how much I would use it. I already have excel on my desktop so I was thinking it might be a waste of money. Also, can you put the numbers document on excel?

Any help is appreciated.

Because of its limited Excel compatibility, I decided to skip Numbers and bought the Mariner Calc app instead. So far, I am very happy. It does a good job of importing and exporting Excel files, and supports some Excel features (e.g. Split frames) which Numbers on the Mac does not.

SatyMahajan
Aug 3, 2010, 04:28 PM

Any help is appreciated.

IMHO, even if you just use the "checklist" template on Numbers for iPad, it's worth $10. Anytime I go on a trip, I just punch in stuff I need to pack in there and check it off when I pack my suitcase. Also useful for a number of other simple checklists.

It's also a pretty good calculator with a fair number of functions and huge memory for storing results for use in other calculations.

For $10, you'll find a way to use it. ;)

TOYSTER17
Aug 3, 2010, 05:59 PM
I got it and I love it. I used the budget template and modified it a bit to create a spreadsheet of our costs of manufacturing some products. Much easier to use than excel for me, especially with the formulas and stuff and picking which cells to include.