PDA

View Full Version : DVD-R not recognized

srphoto
Nov 17, 2004, 12:57 PM
I bought these dvd-r's http://www.shop4tech.com/item2423.html and my PB G4 15 Superdrive wont recognize em.
Funny thing is it did recognize the first dvdr i put in fromt the SAME batch, but a day later i try and it doesnt even recognize it. It just makes sounds for a minute then, like, gives up.
Im thinking of returning the dvd's but id rather not pay S&H so if there is another solution... HELP!!!!
Thanks to all.

Qianlong
Nov 17, 2004, 01:02 PM
what did you record on them? Files or a DVD movie?

What program did you use? Toast, iApp burner???

Please more info

srphoto
Nov 17, 2004, 01:13 PM
I just dragged some avi and mpg files into the dvd folder and clicked the little nuke button.
Then the next day when i put in the dvd hoping to clear my PB of all the crap that i have it doesnt even recognize it. No pop up boxes saying the comp doesnt recognize it or anything. It just tries to read it then give up.

jeremy.king
Nov 17, 2004, 02:16 PM
Can disk utility see it?

srphoto
Nov 17, 2004, 03:35 PM
when i put the blank dvd in, disk utility sees only the disk drive, not the disc itself. (i tested the blank disc in my friends combo drive powerbook and it wouldnt even let me eject it, i had to restart and eject on startup.) i put it a DVD movie in my powerbook and it worked fine. i dont know what the problem is....

Qianlong
Nov 17, 2004, 06:28 PM
>I just dragged some avi and mpg files into the dvd folder and clicked the little nuke button.<

What PROGRAM are you using to burn the files? I'm guessing Toast?

If so, are you doing this in the Video -> DVD subfolder in Toast?
if so that's not the way to make a DVD, especially a DVD from an AVI file.

You need to burn them in the Data section -> Mac & PC and burn the avi files.
But you can ONLY watch these on your comp with well whatever program you use to watch avi files. I use VLC player myself.

If you want a proper video DVD for your set top DVD player you need to reformat the avi files. takes along time, I would say don't bother. Probably toast doesn't change the avi file, that's why you don't see your DVD popping up. those burned discs are for the bin I am afraid.

I'm kinda guessing, because you haven't told us if you wanted to make a video DVD for a home DVD player or back up them for viewing on your computer.

for more info check out this site: http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=9&amp;sid=813972fd02f2e0dca473c109deec9cf8

For the blank DVDs go to preferences -> CD & DVD section -> select opening toast when inserting a blank DVD or choose ignore. most of the time blanks don't show up. they will if you burn them correctly.

daveL
Nov 17, 2004, 06:32 PM
Almost sounds like he's running Tiger.

Nermal
Nov 17, 2004, 06:37 PM
Sounds like standard Panther Finder to me. You put it a DVD-R, an icon appears on the desktop. You drag files to it then click the nuke button. Certainly not Toast (it has a big red button, not a nuke).

daveL
Nov 17, 2004, 06:40 PM
Sounds like standard Panther Finder to me. You put it a DVD-R, an icon appears on the desktop. You drag files to it then click the nuke button. Certainly not Toast (it has a big red button, not a nuke).
Sorry. I guess I'm so used to using Disk Utility or Toast that I haven't really used the Finder for burns.

Qianlong
Nov 17, 2004, 06:46 PM
of course he can try out a blank DVDr disc from another brand.

thought of it after writting the whole toast text :eek:

JeDiBoYTJ
Nov 17, 2004, 10:48 PM
I just bought similar DVD's to those (cheap no-name type), in bulk, 100 for $23, and I havnt run into any problems yet. They are only 2X though.

my guess would be see if other brands work in your computer, if they dont then there could be the possiblity that those dvd's damaged your superdrive (worst case)

the reason im saying your drive could be damaged, is because the way I found out my dads combo drive in his powerbook was damaged was when I put a CD in, and it spun up, then spun down and froze. sometimes the CD would get ejected, other times I would have to restart to get it out. So if its now not reading ANY CD's, then it could be the possiblity of drive failure

srphoto
Nov 18, 2004, 12:36 PM
Well as embarassing as this is the problem was very simple...:(
One of my friends mustve changed the default setting what the comp should do when i insert a dvd. He changed it to "ignore". When I changed it to open finder, the PB picked it up right away! (I had no idea he changed it)

In any case its still strange that if its at "ignore" it wont even show if u open your own finder...

Qianlong
Nov 18, 2004, 07:35 PM
aha problem solved :D