Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mekhattak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Hi, This is my first post and I am trying to find out if you could play HD 1080p movies on Macbook Air. I know it doesn't have blue ray or a dvd drive but if you can get it on the hardisk would you be able to watch it on macbook air.
And if you are able to watch it then would be the same quality as it is supposed to be.

redbotsoftware

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2009
Yes, HD will play on a MacBook Air. But your limited to the screens resolution of 1280x800, enough for 720p, but not 1080p, which is 1920x1080.

mekhattak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
thanks for the quick response man. so if I am buying it just to watch HD movies then its the same as the macbookpro 13" or 15"?

cleric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2008
VLC should be releasing an update in the near future for H264 hardware acceleration on OS X we might be able to play 1080p then at least 720p should suck less juice. I believe the air will play 1080p on windows?

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
thanks for the quick response man. so if I am buying it just to watch HD movies then its the same as the macbookpro 13" or 15"?

My Rev A MacBook air played 1080p mkv files with vlc 1.1.1 smoothly. No problem at all.

mekhattak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Thanks man. Now MacBookAir seems like a good option if you are going for a laptop that is portable and you can watch HD movies on it and is a MAC

DiamondGCoupe

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
You're better off with a MBP. The air lags when watching even You Tube videos after 5-10 minutes. It does play DIVX movies flawlessly but for the same money MBP is a better option. Twice the battery life too, go with SSD either way!

mekhattak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Thanks man. One more thing. How would you compare the MacBookPro with the Toshiba Satellite a665-3dv?

Scorpio12345

macrumors member
May 3, 2008
You're better off with a MBP. The air lags when watching even You Tube videos after 5-10 minutes. It does play DIVX movies flawlessly but for the same money MBP is a better option. Twice the battery life too, go with SSD either way!

Hey man, im a prospective MBA buyer who's looking to pick up your 2.13ghz SSD model. Are you using the accelerated Flash GALA release?

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Note that the MBA will display 1080p on an external display. However, when trying to display 1080p with a browser plug-in, it sometimes stutters and has problems. If you use an actual HD capable player/video, outside of a browser, it works perfectly. The Nvidia GPU is perfectly capable. Video on my 24" LED ACDs is STUNNING. I think it's better than my HD TV, as the colors are out of this world.

Apple just started allowing low-level API access to the GPU's resources. This means that in time the MBA will actually do hardware decoding of h.264. Even in browsers, the MBA's HD video playback capabilities will get better fast. I have noticed Apple improving GPU drivers almost constantly with each 10.6.X update. The MBA truly does just keep getting better and better without any physical changes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.