PDA

View Full Version : your experience getting old mac parts?

jefhatfield
Aug 18, 2002, 11:57 AM
when the yo-yo adapter of my rev a ibook (mid to late 1999) shorted out, i got a replacement from macwarehouse catalog and the company carrying it, in mid 2001, was vst

apparantly, apple was no longer making them and had run out of backstock forever

plus the manufacturing rights of this older part had been sold to vst

if vst did not have them anymore, i would have been shot down or would have to wait since they had the exclusive rights on manufacturing that specific part

i wonder how apple honors their three year warranty if they sell rights to older parts?...i know it is completely impossible financially to keep around parts for all models up to three years old

JIT, a concept of not keeping old gear warehoused, was a japanese concept that saved many american companies...especially in high tech where the survival rate is very low

making and maintaining old backstock and having the staff to take care of it and warehousing it, is a major cost and i guess vst and others specialize in just that

when hewlett packard bought compaq, ceo carly fiorina stated that she would avoid layoffs but that it would be inevitable to some degree

one thing she vowed to do to save jobs was to not keep older compaq gear warehoused and that HP would not be able to ensure honoring compaq's extended warranties if it included older parts...all this to save jobs since fiorina had her job at stake if she laid off too many (she didn't want to be known as carly fire-rina

i just hope apple could keep their old parts around, or that vst and others can do the same...i for one, am not like many others here buying new apple gear more than once a year (though that would be nice ;)

yamadataro
Aug 19, 2002, 04:17 PM
I make money working on some heavy design stuff on Mac, therefore I'm that person you described above who switchs to new machines all the time.

Here's a story: About a year ago, I've been to an Apple authorized repair shop in Tokyo to get my TiBook's drive replaced. And there was this guy next to me talking with a technitian. He had a PowerBook G3 with a broken LCD screen.The tech guy was telling his customer that it's whole a lot cheaper to find a good second-hand machine and rip the LCD part off and put it on his machine rather than ordering a new component from Apple which would cost something like $1000. This concept sort of blew me away, but I guess it's a realistic solution in this capitalism society.

It totally bothers me when something's cheaper to buy than to repair it! What a werid world we are living in...

BTW, Tokyo has a lot of used Mac shops.

robbieduncan
Aug 20, 2002, 06:26 AM
I had no problem getting a replacment yo-yo here in the UK just a coupe of months ago. They were still on the apple store website.

jefhatfield
Aug 20, 2002, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by robbieduncan
I had no problem getting a replacment yo-yo here in the UK just a coupe of months ago. They were still on the apple store website.

but is it the rev a ibook yo yo?

...they have the dual usb ibook yo yo and they have since gone to a newer design/square design for latest ibooks starting at 600 mhz models

...and i have no idea what the new sahara running g3 ibooks, 600-700 are using right now for power adapters

Dr_Floyd
Aug 21, 2002, 09:50 AM
you can still get power adapters. call apple i'm sure they have got to have some

robbieduncan
Aug 21, 2002, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by jefhatfield

but is it the rev a ibook yo yo?

...they have the dual usb ibook yo yo and they have since gone to a newer design/square design for latest ibooks starting at 600 mhz models

...and i have no idea what the new sahara running g3 ibooks, 600-700 are using right now for power adapters

This was for a clamshell iBook.